potential WK2 owner looking for feedback - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
droz
2014 WK 

potential WK2 owner looking for feedback

Hello,

I am in the market to replace my 97 XJ that is in bad shape due to severe rust, I have been shopping WK2's, and I think I want to go with a 2011 to 2013 model year but not 100% certain, I have test drove a few and like them, so I have read through a ton of threads about issues, concerns etc.

what I am curious about is personal experiences, which model, buy new or used, any issues you have had, any mods done etc.

thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 PM
rcantrell52

Droz,
My wife and I purchased a used 2017 Summit with 569 miles on the odometer. Initially we were going to used the GC as a toad behind a motorhome. After driving for two weeks decided that the Summit was too nice to pull behind a motorhome. We like the V6 gas engine, comfortable seats, ride and handling of this Jeep. I have been very pleased with the driver's seat and the lumbar support.

Reese
post #3 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 PM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ..... 3 recalls (sun visor, TIPM, brake booster) completed and 1 recall (alternator) with no parts available so far. Also, as a few WK2 owners have experienced, one of the rear shocks gave way and started leaking oil.

Compared to our RX330, definitely more trips to the dealer, but other than those items, normal maintenance (oil changes, cabin/air filters, etc) in 60,000+ miles.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I purchased a 2011 Overland V8 new. The recalls mentioned and a noisy lift hatch motorized strut have been the only maintenance besides routine stuff. FCA gave us like a $200 coupon towards parts or accessories for our trouble. This is a road warrior, my only mods were fog and driving light bulbs, slush and cargo mats, a rear SRT sway bar, an iPad mount, front sump skid plate, and OEM skid plates (helps keep snow from building up under the chassis and makes plowing through drifts a little less worrisome). The QL has been great giving me clearance for deeper snow drifts and then dropping down for highway cruising. I do have lifetime maxcare 0 deductible, so I'm not worried about it.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
droz
2014 WK 

thanks for the feedback so far and cold case thank you for the info about the skid plates and snow, my XJ has about 18 inches of clearance at the lowest part other than the diff and looking at these WK2's it seems they sit quite a bit lower even with a leveling kit and slightly larger tires, I won't be taking it on much more than fireroads, camp sites and probably trails that would be able to be done in something like a subaru outback, but did have some concerns when it comes to playing in the snow as I live in an area that can have very little snow one winter and next time around have 60+ inches in 1 season
post #6 of 27 Old 09-22-2017, 07:07 AM
polizei

I would suggest 2014+, there were a lot of updates and changes made. No complaints with my 2014, I really like it.

2014: RRO 2.5" Lift, 32" LT275/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro-Comp 7089, XenonDepot HID Kit
post #7 of 27 Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes, for a V6, most think 2014+ are much better with the 8 speed. For a V8 not as much difference unless you like the entertainment features. Some prefer the way 2011 - 2013 V8 transmission works better than the 8 speed for everything except towing.

So test drive extensively... buy what you like.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 27 Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM
jeradyjerin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droz View Post
thanks for the feedback so far and cold case thank you for the info about the skid plates and snow, my XJ has about 18 inches of clearance at the lowest part other than the diff and looking at these WK2's it seems they sit quite a bit lower even with a leveling kit and slightly larger tires, I won't be taking it on much more than fireroads, camp sites and probably trails that would be able to be done in something like a subaru outback, but did have some concerns when it comes to playing in the snow as I live in an area that can have very little snow one winter and next time around have 60+ inches in 1 season

My '14 is pretty glorious. I've only put about 2k on since I got it, but at this point have been in sand and some pretty big rocks as I live on a tropical island that's mostly volcanic rock. No towing yet, but I can totally see how it'll be easy peasy. I've been easy on him but know there's a ton more he could handle. There were the initial recalls that were handled before I picked him up but since then except for a jammed gate latch not an issue. I do have the "rough" shift people talk about with the v8 trannys, but it's only when cold and nothing to complain about, I had a '99 wj v8 before this and the trans is a thousand times smoother. Mine has the ql system and I do worry a little about its longevity only because it's a pretty expensive fix, but I'm going to look into upgrading my warranty to lifetime. As far as quality though, I feel this vehicle is every bit worth the money I paid, solid construction and really really nice creature comforts. Even my Jeep hating dad and brothers admit this is a nice vehicle, I know I'm in love... I'm sure the fact that I came from a Honda Civic has no bearing on that... I'd recommend for sure.

2014 Gc ltd Maximum Steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 27 Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
droz
2014 WK 

thanks again for the feedback, I went tonight and test drove a few and found a nice 2014 for a good price and has most of the stuff I wanted overall. I was kind of hesitant on the 14 but ended up liking it and the deal was almost too good to pass up. it does have a little more miles then I would have liked but coming from the XJ with 200k I can't complain, plus it was local trade and dealer serviced so I was able to pull ALL service records, they replaced tires so I have brand new tires but ended up with the 18" wheels. I will have more info and stuff when I get her home tomorrow
post #10 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 12:03 PM
HoosWJ
2014 WK 

Sounds like it's too late to chime in, but I've had my '14 Overland for about two months and I love it. It replaced my '04 Overland and I couldn't be happier with the decision. At first I was worried that I'd miss the H.O. V8, but as others have said, the 3.6 w/ the 8-speed transmission is a great combo. It's a heckuva sight better on gas, too.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
droz
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosWJ View Post
Sounds like it's too late to chime in, but I've had my '14 Overland for about two months and I love it. It replaced my '04 Overland and I couldn't be happier with the decision. At first I was worried that I'd miss the H.O. V8, but as others have said, the 3.6 w/ the 8-speed transmission is a great combo. It's a heckuva sight better on gas, too.
thanks! and I have to agree about gas mileage even though I went from the I6 in the XJ to the V6 in the WK2, I picked up a good 10 mpg in the upgrade. I do have to say though the electronics are crazy and I know my laredo doesn't have nearly as much stuff as the Overland model (I test drove a 2017). so far I am very happy with it, I have put about 400 miles on it and just spent some time playing around with all the gadgets etc. I need to order the rubber floor mats, the carpet in this thing is perfect, like it was showroom new, definitely needs a leveling kit, I wanted to go with 17" wheels and more aggressive tires but this thing has brand new tires, so probably wait on that a bit
post #12 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 04:45 PM
jeradyjerin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droz View Post
thanks! and I have to agree about gas mileage even though I went from the I6 in the XJ to the V6 in the WK2, I picked up a good 10 mpg in the upgrade. I do have to say though the electronics are crazy and I know my laredo doesn't have nearly as much stuff as the Overland model (I test drove a 2017). so far I am very happy with it, I have put about 400 miles on it and just spent some time playing around with all the gadgets etc. I need to order the rubber floor mats, the carpet in this thing is perfect, like it was showroom new, definitely needs a leveling kit, I wanted to go with 17" wheels and more aggressive tires but this thing has brand new tires, so probably wait on that a bit
Post a pic man!

post #13 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
droz
2014 WK 

I am working on it, need to find an image resizer and actually take a few pics, the one I snapped at the dealer while waiting on the paperwork is too big for the image gallery

post #14 of 27 Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 AM
jeradyjerin
1999 WJ 

Yea I can't see it in the app...

post #15 of 27 Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
droz
2014 WK 

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...6&limit=recent

not sure why every time I try to post the pic it gives a blank screen?? link above to pic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.