Plowing makes me winch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
joecomputerdude

Plowing makes me winch

So, now that i've got my new WK2, I'm itching to test some of its capabilities and customize it.

Living in the snow-belt in Ohio, there are two things that i would like to have the ability to do: Plowing and Vehicle Recovery.

Does anyone have any experience with a plow on their WK2 they would like to share?

How about vehicle recovery experience?

Would attaching a plow preclude me from having a front-mounted winch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would check with Jeep about the plowing part.

Plowing is pretty hard on the vehicle.

Even though it's a tough vehicle, the WK2 is a unibody construction and not the optimal platform for plowing snow.

IMHO I'd buy a cheap pickup truck with a frame for that stuff.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM
AtTheHelm

X2 I wouldn't use a unibody Jeep as a plow rig.

Try getting ahold of Kris at Fawkes Fabrication for recovery. Iirc he told me a while back he was trying to get something going for the wk2.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM
lawbreaker
2012 WK 

Rocky road makes a snowplow mount for the 2011-12s
post #5 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are a couple light weight plow companies that have something that may work. These are low capacity as it doesn't take much to bend the safety crush zones. There are recovery devices that connect to the hitch, again low capacity.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
joecomputerdude

After looking more into it, and the difference between body-on-frame and unibody, i'm going to wait and get a older pickup for my plowing needs.

And there are a bunch of winch threads on here. :-)
post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
kkreit01

Good choice. I would never plow with this vehicle. Find an old Bronco, Blazer, Ramcharger, F-150, etc.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM
zr2s10
2012 WK 

If you have an ATV, and only plan on plowing your driveway (or have a trailer to transport it), get an ATV plow. It tears up your driveway less, and gives you a good excuse for the wife as why you need an ATV! lol. Before I had one, my uncle used his Ram to plow my driveway. I spent the next summer pulling gravel out of my yard. It also took a while because when the snow would build up, he would spin and have to get another run. And he couldn't get in between the cars, and the piles were in places that were inconvenient.

I got one for my Scrambler 4x4 for the next winter, and it worked great! You have to make another pass or two, but it's easier to control the height setting (winch lifted), which keeps more gravel in place. The ATV is also more maneuverable, which makes turning around and lining up easier. I can put the piles where I want them, and can even get between the cars (as long as I remember to keep them separated!).

I would, however, recommend using a utility quad or a side x side with a low range transmission. The Scrambler worked, but isn't meant for that kind of thing. I just got a Ranger 500, which should work even better. My friend's father actually uses his Sportsman to plow his entire road. He lives in BFE and the plow trucks rarely make it out to the hill he lives on.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 PM
WvTaco
2011 WK 

agree atv and snow plow works great we use a 700h1 efi artic cat atv and a plow. works great for our .3 mile paved drive way.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

If you just need to plow a driveway, get one of these. I'm always looking for excuses to play with toys.

http://www.business-opportunities.bi...rol-snow-plow/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.