Plate Frame question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Plate Frame question...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
BigM-740
2011 WK 

Wk Plate Frame question...

Has anyone been given a dealer's plate frame that can't be unscrewed off the JGC (i.e. riveted instead of screwed) ? I wonder what Chrysler would have to say about this if it knew car dealers were doing that...

What do you guys have printed on your plate frame ? plastic ? metal ?

BigM-740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
verdugan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM-740 View Post
Has anyone been given a dealer's plate frame that can't be unscrewed off the JGC (i.e. riveted instead of screwed) ? I wonder what Chrysler would have to say about this if it knew car dealers were doing that...

Never would've happen to me as I would've refused delivery.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Brady12

Quote:

Take it back to them and tell them to take it off. Before I bought my Jeep I told the dealership to remove all decals and license brackets with their name on it. Nothing says you have to be a rolling advertisement for the dealership.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
ecupip

Are they plastic or metal? They have started to use plastic ones I have seen so the dealers do not have to screw plates in anymore. They are easy to pop out though.
ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
BigM-740
2011 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12 View Post
Take it back to them and tell them to take it off. Before I bought my Jeep I told the dealership to remove all decals and license brackets with their name on it. Nothing says you have to be a rolling advertisement for the dealership.
At the time of delivery I actually asked (politely) if they could use a blank frame instead but the manager himself was like "i don't care what you do with it later but you're not driving off this lot without these frames." Really, what do you do when all documents have been signed and the certified cheque has landed in his drawer ? Besides, I was kinda taken by all the excitement and this seemed like a trivial issue in the spur of the moment...

Anyway, it was easy to get rid of the print with some acetone as the frame was plastic, and I just ordered a brushed metal one anyway. But what was really painful was their ugly sticker that came under the 4x4 logo on the painted body ! (that reflective type similar to the ones they use in airports--fragmented like a puzzle and won't come off in 1 piece). My work revolves around paint technology so I was able to tackle this, but those who don't know WILL strip off their clear coat if they force the sticker off.

What was their first reaction when you asked them to remove everything off ?
BigM-740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
zapp1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
At the time of delivery I actually asked (politely) if they could use a blank frame instead but the manager himself was like "i don't care what you do with it later but you're not driving off this lot without these frames." Really, what do you do when all documents have been signed and the certified cheque has landed in his drawer ? Besides, I was kinda taken by all the excitement and this seemed like a trivial issue in the spur of the moment...

Anyway, it was easy to get rid of the print with some acetone as the frame was plastic, and I just ordered a brushed metal one anyway. But what was really painful was their ugly sticker that came under the 4x4 logo on the painted body ! (that reflective type similar to the ones they use in airports--fragmented like a puzzle and won't come off in 1 piece). My work revolves around paint technology so I was able to tackle this, but those who don't know WILL strip off their clear coat if they force the sticker off.

What was their first reaction when you asked them to remove everything off ?
Had a great experience with this, the license plate frames I didn't care about because they just unscrew and we have front and rear license plates in this state. I asked him in an email to not put stickers on, when I went to pick it up, he spotted the sticker before me, and told guy to take it off. I eventually replaced their cheesy plate brackets with some stainless ones after I registered it.
zapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12 View Post
Nothing says you have to be a rolling advertisement for the dealership.
X2. I totally agree and make the same demand myself when I purchase a new vehicle. If they want me to advertise then pay me!
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
MRK
2000 WJ 

Drill the rivets and replace with screws. A heat gun and adhesive remover will remove all stickers.
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

I will never take a vehicle off a dealership lot with their stickers on it. If someone wants to ask me where I got my vehicle I'd be happy to tell them where and what sort of service I recieved.
1979 Golden Eagle Rebuild
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
fleuger99
2011 WK 

My standard fee for dealer advertising is an additional $750 off on the deal
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.