Plate Frame question... - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
BigM-740
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 140
Wk Plate Frame question...

Has anyone been given a dealer's plate frame that can't be unscrewed off the JGC (i.e. riveted instead of screwed) ? I wonder what Chrysler would have to say about this if it knew car dealers were doing that...

What do you guys have printed on your plate frame ? plastic ? metal ?

BigM-740 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM
verdugan
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM-740 View Post
Has anyone been given a dealer's plate frame that can't be unscrewed off the JGC (i.e. riveted instead of screwed) ? I wonder what Chrysler would have to say about this if it knew car dealers were doing that...

What do you guys have printed on your plate frame ? plastic ? metal ?
Never would've happen to me as I would've refused delivery.
verdugan is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Brady12
Registered User
2011  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM-740 View Post
Has anyone been given a dealer's plate frame that can't be unscrewed off the JGC (i.e. riveted instead of screwed) ? I wonder what Chrysler would have to say about this if it knew car dealers were doing that...

What do you guys have printed on your plate frame ? plastic ? metal ?
Take it back to them and tell them to take it off. Before I bought my Jeep I told the dealership to remove all decals and license brackets with their name on it. Nothing says you have to be a rolling advertisement for the dealership.
Brady12 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
ecupip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winterville
Posts: 200
Are they plastic or metal? They have started to use plastic ones I have seen so the dealers do not have to screw plates in anymore. They are easy to pop out though.
ecupip is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
BigM-740
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 140
Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12 View Post
Take it back to them and tell them to take it off. Before I bought my Jeep I told the dealership to remove all decals and license brackets with their name on it. Nothing says you have to be a rolling advertisement for the dealership.
At the time of delivery I actually asked (politely) if they could use a blank frame instead but the manager himself was like "i don't care what you do with it later but you're not driving off this lot without these frames." Really, what do you do when all documents have been signed and the certified cheque has landed in his drawer ? Besides, I was kinda taken by all the excitement and this seemed like a trivial issue in the spur of the moment...

Anyway, it was easy to get rid of the print with some acetone as the frame was plastic, and I just ordered a brushed metal one anyway. But what was really painful was their ugly sticker that came under the 4x4 logo on the painted body ! (that reflective type similar to the ones they use in airports--fragmented like a puzzle and won't come off in 1 piece). My work revolves around paint technology so I was able to tackle this, but those who don't know WILL strip off their clear coat if they force the sticker off.

What was their first reaction when you asked them to remove everything off ?
BigM-740 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 PM
zapp1
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Caribou
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM-740 View Post
At the time of delivery I actually asked (politely) if they could use a blank frame instead but the manager himself was like "i don't care what you do with it later but you're not driving off this lot without these frames." Really, what do you do when all documents have been signed and the certified cheque has landed in his drawer ? Besides, I was kinda taken by all the excitement and this seemed like a trivial issue in the spur of the moment...

Anyway, it was easy to get rid of the print with some acetone as the frame was plastic, and I just ordered a brushed metal one anyway. But what was really painful was their ugly sticker that came under the 4x4 logo on the painted body ! (that reflective type similar to the ones they use in airports--fragmented like a puzzle and won't come off in 1 piece). My work revolves around paint technology so I was able to tackle this, but those who don't know WILL strip off their clear coat if they force the sticker off.

What was their first reaction when you asked them to remove everything off ?
Had a great experience with this, the license plate frames I didn't care about because they just unscrew and we have front and rear license plates in this state. I asked him in an email to not put stickers on, when I went to pick it up, he spotted the sticker before me, and told guy to take it off. I eventually replaced their cheesy plate brackets with some stainless ones after I registered it.
zapp1 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM
fleuger99
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12 View Post
Nothing says you have to be a rolling advertisement for the dealership.
X2. I totally agree and make the same demand myself when I purchase a new vehicle. If they want me to advertise then pay me!
fleuger99 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM
MRK
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 33
Drill the rivets and replace with screws. A heat gun and adhesive remover will remove all stickers.

Mike
MRK is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
MightyLampshade
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 739
I will never take a vehicle off a dealership lot with their stickers on it. If someone wants to ask me where I got my vehicle I'd be happy to tell them where and what sort of service I recieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Let's make fun of him for being assaulted by chicken so he can claim emotional distress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MightyLampshade is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 AM
fleuger99
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 325
My standard fee for dealer advertising is an additional $750 off on the deal
fleuger99 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Missing Piece of Front Skid Plate? JayB WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum 20 02-21-2011 03:33 PM
Front license plate? bah07c WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum 10 01-01-2011 04:45 PM
WK2 front license plate UNCjeepWK2 WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum 3 12-12-2010 06:26 AM
Front license plate rlj WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum 4 11-15-2010 03:14 PM
Front Skid Plate (Hole)? ecupip WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum 6 10-13-2010 08:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome