Pennsylvania Emissions Law and Outside State Purchase Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Pennsylvania Emissions Law and Outside State Purchase Question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
PhillyAnt

Pennsylvania Emissions Law and Outside State Purchase Question

I have been doing my shopping around and I got a great offer from the group buy in Virginia. The concern I am having right now is I live in Pennsylvania and the lawmakers have adopted the California Emissions Laws. This means that any vehicle that is a 2008 or newer and has less than 7500 miles on it must be certified for emissions by the California Air Resources Board. If not, you can't get it titled or registered in Pennsylvania.

When looking at the lists of other states that have this law in place too, I do not see Virginia's name on the list. My local dealer brought this up to me and told me to be careful about buying a car from Virginia because I won't be able to register it here. This is putting me in a bad situation because the Group Buy deal in Virginia was going to save me a good $1500 off of the best price I got here in PA. It is looking like I won't be able to go for it because of the law.

Have any of you who live in PA, or a state that has these same laws, run into an issue like this when purchasing a vehicle from another state that does not have the CA Emissions standards?

Here is a picture of the printing from a window sticker in a car from PA. California Emissions is printed on it.

photo.jpg

PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

All WK2s are certified for sale and registration in Calif. I don't see it on my Y2011 window sticker, but the pamphlet was included.

If someone doesn't jump in her soon, perhaps check with the selling dealer (ask for a ca emissions vehicle) and the registry to see what proof they need. I think they have a list of vehicles.
Unread 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Several PA-based folks have already bought JGCs from Koons in VA as part of a group buy...no issues. As ColdCase mentions, they all have CA certs for emissions, including the Ecodiesel.
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
PhillyAnt

Thank you!
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
eriejeepguy
2011 WK 

My buddy bought a new Ford truck in Ohio

The truck did not have CA emissions.

When he went to put the PA plates on it they refused to transfer them. He had to get a set of dealer plates from the Ohio dealer and has been running on those until he gets 7500 miles on it.
eriejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

CA emissions standards are of the most stringent in the country and closely match that of the Federal requirements......if it has that certification, it is meant pass anywhere else.
http://www.greenercars.org/guide_standards.htm
SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriejeepguy View Post
The truck did not have CA emissions.

When he went to put the PA plates on it they refused to transfer them. He had to get a set of dealer plates from the Ohio dealer and has been running on those until he gets 7500 miles on it.
Did the truck have 50 state emissions? 50 state emissions typically meet CA crap.
Unread 03-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
eriejeepguy
2011 WK 

I would assume the truck did not have 50 state emissions since PA would not allow him to register it here.

The Ohio requirements must be 49 state and not CA.

I saw him yesterday. He is still driving on the Ohio Dealer plates. He still does not have 7500 miles on it.
eriejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.