Paint defect - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Paint defect

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Nookie
2014 WK 

Paint defect

What's your thoughts on a paint defect marked by the factory with yellow marker.

Won't hold up delivery over it, but what would you do ??

Looks like a grain of sand under the paint, rear door, kindda visible.

img_0122.jpg  
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

I wouldnt accept delivery

Why and how did it leave the factory? I would say sorry I refuse to accept it.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So much for quality control. I'd get the dealership to discount the car enough to what it would cost a good auto body shop to fix it (say $500 to $750?). You could then take it to a body shop and have the area repainted. But personally, I'd consider it the car's first scratch (as they all get them sooner or later and more).

Whatever you do, don't let the dealer attempt to fix it there or by someone of their choosing as they'll do so as cheap as possible and later it will look worse (I had that happen with my first new car).

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Why and how did it leave the factory? I would say sorry I refuse to accept it.
That would be my response. Also that gap between doors looks pretty wide. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I'd also pay attention to that.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

I have a couple of those specs on my jeep. It's just the normal lack of Quality Control that Chrysler has with their vehicles. Some come out better than others and many like yours and mine don't. Nothing new there. But other mfg's have the same problem.
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
MrSpeed
2012 WK 

Get them to fix it or don't accept it. If it bothers you now it will bother you as long as you own the vehicle.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Ditto on the comments. Personally, even though you know it's there, I would never bust the factory "seal" on a main panel's clear coat to repaint. Renegotiate and accept or just reject it. Your money, your decision.

How's this for a paint defect? I'm approaching the car with the sales guy and we get 10 feet away and I said, "I can't accept this car!" The sales guy was like "WTF, you haven't even looked at it!" I said, "seen all I need to!" The dealer obviously offered to repaint the whole hood and "do it right!". I said no thanks. Breaking into the factory paint on the hood in Northeast Ohio is just asking for all kinds of trouble. I keep my cars for 10-12 yrs so I was unwilling to take delivery of this $55k Summit with repainted hood. It also had a big "booger" about 1/8" (bb sized) under paint on drivers entry ledge. I would have let them fix that since it is out of sight. I ordered one through another dealer and the paint is as perfect as I can hope for.
paint1.jpg  
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

If you can accept the defect , then get some compensation and pocket it. I agree .... Do not let anyone try and correct it. " breaking into the factory paint and clear coat is way to high a risk . I also keep my Jeeps forever ( kept my 02 WJ which has perfect paint after 11 years) and never get the blemishes repaired . If you cannot love with the blemish , then reject the car and buy a perfect one off the lot. I spent more time looking at the paint and leather on my new red Overland then checking out the mechanical stuff . My paint job was flawless .... You can get one if that's important to you.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Nookie
2014 WK 

Picked it up, Thanks for all replies and advise - not worth to me to do any paint or clearcoat work over.
Did end up getting 10 oil changes, Tire hazard plan & employee pricing on the car so wasn't going to push the envelope to much either.

The gap noticed on the drivers door needs to be adjusted, real life does't look as bad as picture but it sticks out futher than it should.
Hopefully it's fixable as the striker plate has zero adjustment.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.