Paddle Shifters - Getting back to full auto mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Paddle Shifters - Getting back to full auto mode

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
koedean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Paddle Shifters - Getting back to full auto mode

I just bought a 2014 used Grand Cherokee with 5500 miles on it from a Jeep dealer. Sad to say, but they dont seem to know much about it. I used the paddle shifters and then couldnt figure out how to get it back to full auto mode without shifting in to N and then back to D. I found in the book it says to hold the + paddle down and it will shift back, but it also said that once you use the paddles and the engine rpms rise, it should still shift on its own. Mine doesn't do that. I haven't tried the + button, but I know it won't shift back on its own.

koedean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You're on sport mode, all you need to do is shift the shifter up back into auto
MWV247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Or you can shift up through all the gears and it should do back on its own
MWV247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
diesel_dice

If you pull and hold the up shift (right paddle) for more than a second, the system will go back to full auto mode.
diesel_dice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

The manuals are an invaluable tool, and are available here:
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

after using the shifters and it's in a specific gear

one pull back on the console shifter gets you into sport mode

another and your back into normal D
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #7
Medpilot
2014 WK 

Actually the OP said that he did read the manual, and why all the replies referenceing sport mode? That wasn't the OP question.

Koedean, yes the correct way to change shifting modes back to "auto" is to hold down the "+" (right) paddle. When I use my paddles, it stays in the gear selected unless I slow down to the point that the vehicle is forced to change gear, meaning it can't maintain 10mph in 8th gear, so it will automatically down shift.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
koedean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thanks Everyone

Funny story...not really though. I called the dealer from the car to ask about this. They had a couple guys involved in the conversation and the final "expert" told me to move my gear shifter in the center console to the right or left....or shift in to another gear? I said, What? Have you even looked at this car? There is no right or left and the only other move you can make is Sport mode. Previously, I found you could shift in to N and back to D to make it work. When I told the guy this, he said that must be the way. I asked him if he thought it was a good idea to shift to N and back to D when going 65 on the fwy....he said no. So, I asked if that meant you could only use the paddles shifters on surface streets and switch back to D when at a stop? So I finally did try switching to S and back to D, which worked. Then I got home and was able to find in the manual (like mentioned) the proper way to do this is hold the right paddles shifter (+) for a second or two. This works. I don't know when this model was released, but my car was made in April 2013.....wouldnt you think the dealership would know this answer by now?
koedean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

It's hard to find good reliable help these days.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
JeepGC73
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koedean View Post
Funny story...not really though. I called the dealer from the car to ask about this. They had a couple guys involved in the conversation and the final "expert" told me to move my gear shifter in the center console to the right or left....or shift in to another gear? I said, What? Have you even looked at this car? There is no right or left and the only other move you can make is Sport mode.
This is more like how you do it in my 2013 Limited. If you want to go to full auto, you bump the shifter to the right past 4th and it will go to "D" on the EVIC, putting the tranny back in auto. If you want to down shift, you bump it back to the left. Sounds like your "experts" are a little confused.
JeepGC73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.