Overland Wood Steering Wheel? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Overland Wood Steering Wheel?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
ecupip

+1 the wood is great for dirty hands and turning the wheel easier when maneuvering.

ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
DuneCrawler

I have an Overland with wood steering, but would prefer leather. You can buy the Limited steering and swap out, but color wont match as far as I know. Laredo and Limited has black. My Overland is dark brown

2011 Overland HEMI
DuneCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
ecupip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneCrawler View Post
I have an Overland with wood steering, but would prefer leather. You can buy the Limited steering and swap out, but color wont match as far as I know. Laredo and Limited has black. My Overland is dark brown
They make the light frost beige heated full leather wheels. The limited has the same color wheels as the overlands just without wood.
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
What do you guys think of the wood on the steering wheel on the Overland model? I know it looks good, but I am use to a heated leather wheel and I think the transition from leather to a hard surface during use would be irritating.

Anyone know if the wood steering wheel on the Overland model can be deleted and replaced with an all leather steering wheel?
I dont like the look or feel of the Overland Steering wheel. If you get info (cost etc) regarding replacing the wheel, let me know. I got a dealer reply that it only comes this way.
MRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
trooper1968
2011 WK 

I didnt think I would be a fan of the wood/leather combo, but after 3 months, I am sold! The transition between the two types it not a bit deal at all. My only gripe is the seam on the spokes, it is a bit rough, especially when you have your fingers on it during a tight low speed turn.

/cl
trooper1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
fleuger99
2011 WK 

I've had a wood steering wheel in a Volvo XC90 V8 and I didn't like it. In the winter it was freezing cold and in the summer it was boiling hot to the point I could not touch the wood part.
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Rook247
2011 WK 

I had a 2010 laramie Dodge ram leather heated steering wheel and i love the new wood steering wheel. It is fat but its well heated and its not slippery. I actually prefer to grab the wooden part of the steering wheel. I told my wife to watch her wedding rings on it though. Not sure how well itll stand up to diamonds haha.
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
I dont like the look or feel of the Overland Steering wheel. If you get info (cost etc) regarding replacing the wheel, let me know. I got a dealer reply that it only comes this way.
Dealer gave me a cost of $700 for the Limited steering wheel. If I get the GC, Ill try to negotiate a lower cost into purchase and sell the Oveland wheel.
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
ecupip

Wow $700 they are ripping you off. You can get the wheel for $516 here

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/mopar...FUNl7AodeydC1A
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
MRK
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the link.
Thats considerable better.
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #26
dobiegillis

Never had wood before but liked it on the test drive. I think I'd like it long term
dobiegillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #27
K9jackie

The overland comes w/ heated steering wheel, right? Is the wood part heated ?
K9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #28
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9jackie
The overland comes w/ heated steering wheel, right? Is the wood part heated ?
Yes, the wood part is heated.
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #29
pharmade

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutandplay View Post
Yes, the wood part is heated.
It's ALL heated. Great for achy, arthritic hands. Then you turn on the heated lumbar supported seats for your ailin' back. The only thing the GC didn't come with was a Swedish masseuse. At least my wife said it wasn't an option.
pharmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #30
kjmc531

I have 2 of the Overland heated wood wheels if anyone is interested and I may be able to get a leather heated version if you want to swap out your wood one.
My buddy works at the company that supplies the heat element for the wheel and he had a couple that they had only used for testing. When I ordered my wife's 2011 (Laredo) he gave me the wood ones. Unfortunately she doesn't want me changing anything in her new Jeep because she thinks it'll void the warranty.
I can check with him to see if they have any of the heated leather only versions from testing.
Send me a PM if you're interested.

Oh yeah... FYI-
Regarding the wheel thickness:
I commented on the thickness of the wheel when he showed me these. He told me Chrysler had an issue with the heat element 'reading thru' the leather on the first builds. They had to either add a foam pad between the element and the leather or go to a thicker leather to hide it. If I remember he said this added about 2 millimeters to the overall thickness of the rim.
kjmc531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.