Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Outside temperature reading slow to adjust

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave2002ti 
#1 ·
I really like my 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited in every way except for how slow the outside temperature reading adjusts when it warms up outside. In the spring and fall, when it is cool out in the morning and it reads 35 degrees when I go to work and then by lunch it has warmed up to 65 out, my Jeep still says 35 degrees and the heated seat and steering wheel still come on. (I shut that feature off today), I then drive 3 miles home, eat lunch and 3 miles back to work and it still says 35 degrees. This wouldn't be a problem so much, had someone not tied the auto climate control to this reading and it is now about 80 degrees inside my Jeep and the climate control is blowing a little air out of the floor vents and a little out of the upper vents. It should be blowing only out the upper vents and with the fan on high. Someone at Jeep needs to re-write the software so that the auto climate control has nothing to do with this outside reading, or at least make it start adjusting quicker. Instead of the vehicle setting for 4 hours before it adjust, my 30 minutes would be enough and when driving, have it start as soon as the vehicle starts moving, which is what it does if it is colder out then the readings says. I figure if I complain enough, maybe something will happen. Probably in another month when the day starts out warm, all will be fine.

#4 ·
This has been discussed heavily on another board. Basically the vehicle needs to meet some basic conditions before it updates the temp (can't remember what they are exactly but something like if its less than 4hrs since its been off it uses the previous temp and then you have to meet some driving conditions for it to start updating quickly), for some, they might not meet those conditions (or it takes a while) and thus the temp shows inaccurate for longer than desired.

An individual with direct knowledge inside Jeep has said the engineers have admitted they "got it wrong" for how the temp updates. There is *supposed* to be a software update coming for this, I say supposed because its been pending for a while now.

#5 ·
That's good to know, mine behaves similarly. Occasionally it seems as though it gets stuck on a specific temperature for multiple days. Mind you those days I didn't travel far, so it's possible it is behaving as per the aforementioned.

Will be on the look-out for a TSB.

#6 ·
Yes, certain conditions to do with vehicle speed once it's restarted and how long it's been moving have to be met before it will update. My other vehicles are like this also. My Dad had a '95 Buick Roadmaster that simply read the temp with no restrictions and on a hot summer day after parking the car for 5 mins. you would restart and the temp would read something like 130 degrees (underhood heat temp) and the A/C would blow you away until you could get up enough speed to cool the sensor off again.

#7 ·
My previous Grand Cherokees never did this and I figured if I could get enough people discussing this, maybe the fix would come sooner. I understand what they did, but just wish that the climate control would not be influence by that outside temperature reading and more by what the actual inside temperature of the vehicle was. Today at lunch, it was about 70 out, Jeep said 50, climate control set for 70, probably 85 inside Jeep due to setting in sun and I had a little air blowing out the floor and defrost vents.

#8 ·
I have not had this problem on my 2014 GC Laredo. There is either a average algorithm or a sample time built in so you have a steady reading and not one that bounces around. That is why it takes some time to change. Mine normally reaches the real outside air temp about 5 mins or so after I leave the garage.

#11 ·
I think the vehicle has to set for four hours and then it updates the outside temperature reading, or when you start to drive it needs to be driven for 5 minutes without stopping and if you do stop, the 5 minutes starts over. This also only applies to when it is getting warmer outside during the day. If it gets cooler out, the temperature will adjust as soon as you start driving. My problem is during the daytime and in the spring and fall, I rarely let it set for four hours and my trips are in town and less then 5 minutes. So some days, the temperature reading I see first thing in the morning is still the same reading as when I go home at 5:00. Really don't care much about this, I just wish the auto climate control would be controled entirely off of what the temperature inside the vehicle is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.