Out with the old and in with the new. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Out with the old and in with the new.

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Out with the old and in with the new.

Well I finally went and done it, I parted ways with the my JK. It was a tough decision to come to because my JK was a REALLY fun vehicle and served us well in both our everyday lives and our yearly adventures in which we're traveling around the country. Sadly, as our lifestyle has evolved so has our needs and we were faced with tough decisions. I could either spend about $10k or more build my JK right to be able to support us and open up a can of worms that comes with modifying a vehicle or I could just trade out of and get into something that out of the box could support us with minimal additional investment. It was tough trying to decide on what to get, but ultimately in the end decided on the Grand Cherokee because of how it could be optioned. Of course being able to get the WK2 with Friends and Family pricing, not to mention getting a hell of a price for my JK only solidified the deal.

So without further a do, here she is.

2011 WK2
Laredo X
5.7 Hemi
Sunroof
Adventure I Pkg
Nav
Tow

Unread 03-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great. What mods are you planning? I don't see QL, does that mean a 2.5" lift for your new baby?
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
volvite
1999 WJ 

Nice. Gotta keep the family happy.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Like the red along with the Hemi.

It looks good, but not good enough for me to just dump my red WJ with the 4.7L HO. Personally, I am waiting to see how the '13 Grand Wagoneer comes out. A red Grand Wagoneer with a Hemi and saddle brown interior sounds intriguing.

Wranglers always have good trade value not to mention really high listing prices. If you must have a near new Wrangler, then you are always better off buying brand new. You get full warranty, knowledge of its past, and high trade value when you are done.

I find it funny that Grand Cherokees are the opposite relative to trade value (TBD on the WK2. Too new to judge trade values yet.). I think that it must be due to the availability of competition and supply. The Wrangler does not have much that is near equal, and the supply is generally limited. The Grands have lots of competition, and the supply of used inventory is high.
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Brady12

I wonder if the waviness will be a rebadged during?
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Brady12

Wagoneer and durango. Gotta love the iPhone spellcheck...
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
table
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady12 View Post
i wonder if the waviness will be a rebadged during?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady12 View Post
wagoneer and durango. Gotta love the iphone spellcheck...
lmao - but I also suspect it'll be a rebadged Durango.
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Looks great. What mods are you planning? I don't see QL, does that mean a 2.5" lift for your new baby?
I would have liked to get the Laredo with the Adventure II pkg, but I was advised it wasn't available on the Laredo's any longer as it was canibalizing Overland sales. It would have been nice, but not the end of the world. Truthfully, aside from adding the rock rails and maybe a set of AT's or MT's I don't plan on modding it. I would have kept my Rubicon if I was going down that road. This should suit us fairly well for where we'll be taking it. It'll be interesting how she fair's in the Logandale Trail system out near Vegas and in the mountains in Colorado come August. I wouldn't mind taking our other JK out there as well, but we'd need to get a complete flat towing set up for all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
Like the red along with the Hemi.

It looks good, but not good enough for me to just dump my red WJ with the 4.7L HO. Personally, I am waiting to see how the '13 Grand Wagoneer comes out. A red Grand Wagoneer with a Hemi and saddle brown interior sounds intriguing.

Wranglers always have good trade value not to mention really high listing prices. If you must have a near new Wrangler, then you are always better off buying brand new. You get full warranty, knowledge of its past, and high trade value when you are done.

I find it funny that Grand Cherokees are the opposite relative to trade value (TBD on the WK2. Too new to judge trade values yet.). I think that it must be due to the availability of competition and supply. The Wrangler does not have much that is near equal, and the supply is generally limited. The Grands have lots of competition, and the supply of used inventory is high.
It'll be interesting how the value's of the WK2's hold up over time. So far they're not offering heavy incentives so that should not be too damaging in the short term.

What I was rather stoked about was getting $24800 for the trade on my JK. Surprisingly I only lost $800 on it from what I originally paid 2yrs ago.
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is why I love Wrangler resale so much. We paid $11k for my 2005 4.0L with 8,820 miles (yeah, the guy gave it away), and I totaled it in March 2010 with about 22k IIRC. With just bedliner done to it, we got paid ~$17.5k after the $500 deductible on it I think that was a great investment, lol. As for the WK2's, I am hoping it stays pretty high. They are already a great value compared directly to things that have similar options, style, power, and comfort like the MB ML SUV. That starts at $60k and comes with something like a 263hp V6, gets 1mpg less, comes with cloth, and costs $2k for a really basic AWD (with no available proper 4wd).

Also, look into the Goodyear DuraTracs. They are snow rated, quite, a hybrid MT/AT, get decent mileage, last quite some time, and look great.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
shmoods
2014 WK 

Luckrider I hope you are right, and I think if Chrysler can get away from Incentives on the WK2 it will help us all out. After I had purchased my Overland, I was talking to the GM at my dealership and asked him about the recent incentives and he didnt think that we would see anything to substantial or anything at all this year. The 11's are selling very well, and like many of us had to order to get what we are looking for. Secondly, the Overland has a ton of small luxury features that separate itself from the competition. Just my 2 cents.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.