Ordering Process/Length of Time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Ordering Process/Length of Time

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Ordering Process/Length of Time

Can anyone who's gone through this give me an idea of how long it took from order to receipt of your Grand Cherokees? I am forced to order if I want one, due to non availability at the current time for what we are looking for, an Overland with the Summit package, and the 3.6L V6. Not sure if what I found below is still applicable, just need to know approx. how much time from order to driveway I may be looking at (every single time I've ordered a vehicle, something has fallen through and I am very very skeptical about time frames!).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicle Order Number (VON) and vehicle tracking
Once a special order is placed for a vehicle, a document is generated that details the vehicle and exact options that you want. A VON (Vehicle Order Number) is assigned that will allow tracking of your vehicle until it gets assigned a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).

To obtain the current order status of your vehicle:
1. Call 1-800-992-1997
2. The input sequence is 6, 2, 1, 2, and then your phone number, then 1. This brings you to an operator who can give you details on the status of your order. A complete list of Order Status Codes is shown in the table below.

DaimlerChrysler Order Status Codes
Unscheduled
BA - BA new order that hasn't been checked/approved BB fleet order only review by Bid Department
BD special equipment processing
BE edit error coding error which must be corrected before the order can be considered for scheduling
BG order has passed edit but cannot be considered for scheduling
BG F finance hold automatic cancellation after 15 days
BG B model or option hold / build out hold
BG L material restriction hold
BG M material hold (fleet)
BX good order, available for scheduling
ZA cancelled order

Scheduled
C tentative schedule
D firm schedule: serial number is assigned.
D1 gateline: plant has sequenced the unit for production, estimated ship date assigned
D2 gateline: framing and build imminent, usually within 3-6 days
Note: Once a vehicle reaches scheduled (C or D) status, it cannot be cancelled by the dealer. Orders can sit in D-status for up to 60 days.

Build
E framing
F paint
G trim

Built
I unit is pending final inspection
J vehicle has passed final inspection, but has not been released to carrier
JB shipped to body vendor
JE shipped to emissions
JJ consigned body vendor
JS shipped to storage
KZ released by plant and invoiced
Note: Vehicles must reach KZ-status before an invoice can be generated.

Traffic Codes
KZ L released but not shipped
KZ M first rail departure
KZ N first rail arrival
KZ O delayed/received
KZ OA plant hold, quality audit
KZ OB zone or dealer hold, sales hold, vehicle prep hold, tax hold, finance hold, dealer refusal, diversion hold, vehicle diverted, derailment hold
KZ OC carrier delay hold, rail car shortage, bad load, insufficient load, inclement weather, need shipping order, manifest error, strike-bound hold, emission or safety hold.
KZ OD mechanical failure, glass damage, vehicle lacking parts, vehicle in repair, storage hold
KZ OE misdropped or misshipped vehicle
KZ OF shipped air freight, stolen vehicle recovered, show vehicle, test info code, vessel sailed
KZ OG damaged vehicle, stolen vehicle, abandon to carrier, vehicle scrapped, donate vehicle, repair and auction
KZ OH all other carrier codes that currently post an O delay code that are not included above
KZ R vehicle within a few days of arrival to dealer
KZ T second rail departure
KZ U second rail arrival
KZ X delivered to dealer
KZ Y1 major damage must not be sold as new
KZ Y2 major damage vehicle sold at auction
review by Bid Department

wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

It was unpredictable in 2011 but you have a 95% chance of receiving the vehicle within 4 to 12 weeks upon order. Sometimes an option you want is back ordered and you may need to wait additional time for the restriction to be lifted. The average delivery time to the lower 48 states is 8 weeks from order date.

Most of the variation is in the rail transport part of its journey. There are not enough rail cars, so the vehicle may be stored for weeks waiting to be shipped. Then there is the odd part availability or production problem, there is no guaranties. Once the system accepts your order and you get a VIN number, your dealer can track where it is in the system along with an optimistic prediction of delivery. Once it goes D1, its a pretty sure bet it will be built and ready to ship within two weeks.

It can be as little as three weeks if everything falls nicely into place, I've only heard of one of these.. and one of 4 weeks. Some have waited 16 weeks, with no explanation.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Thanks for the excellent description - I think it's the way we are going to have to go. At least this way I end up with the 2012 model instead.
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Trailguide
2012 WK 

The codes you posted are still used. The 1-800 number is still good but the sequence is not. I ordered a 2012 and it came in in 4 weeks. Your dealer can find out where your Jeep is most of the time.

Good Luck.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just called about my order, and agree that the 1-800 number is good. The number sequence I put in to get to an operator, though, was 3, 3, and 1. But then no opportunity to put in a phone number, I just ended up talking to a customer service representative, who wasn't very much help because she couldn't find the VON in the system. But I had already gotten a copy of the order that showed it as BX, so I'm not sure what is going on there.

Is the sequence above (6, 2, 1, 2) navigating through the system, or is it an extension? Because when I put that sequence in, it was trying to route me to an extension. So i hung up and went the slow route, which ended up being 3, 3, 1, which got me to the CS Rep.

In any case, the VON wasn't much help for me, whether due to a change in the system, or my "navigation" errors.
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered my '12 GC on Oct. 13th in Vegas. It was built on 10/27 and is ready to be shipped out of Detroit right now. Estimated delivery is 11/16, so just a few days over one month from order to delivery. If it makes it.
Redboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Billus07
2012 WK 

I ordered my 2012 JGC Overland V6 on Oct. 17th and I am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow... 22 days from order to delivery to customer, not bad in my book...
Billus07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's great, hope it's everything you were expecting. Living close to Michigan pays off in delivery time. Mine will probably be on a train for 10 days getting to Nevada.
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
txwest
2012 WK 

Mine has been on a train for almost 2 weeks heading to Texas. Ugh!

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
xsrdx

Ordered 9/22, delivered 10/19. Truck actually arrived on the 15th.

2012 Limited, ORAII, V8.
xsrdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just checked the status on mine. Built on 10/27 and left the plant on 11/6. Traveled to interchanges in Indiana, Chicago, Iowa, No. Platte, NE., Cheyanne & Rawlins, WO., then Salt Lake City last night. Should arrive in Vegas in the next day or two, right on time. 10 days doesn't seem too bad to travel 2100 miles out west. Sure will be glad to see it.
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

That's crazy awesome you can track it like that...just sayin!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
txwest
2012 WK 

Ordered mine Sept 30. Should be here today or tomorrow. Can't wait any longer! '12 overland 4x4 v8

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
peddler

For those of you that have ordered a GC, was the dealer less willing to negotiate the price considering you were ordering vs buying off the lot, or did you get an equivalent deal?
peddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
txwest
2012 WK 

The dealer wasn't able to wiggle on the price of mine because I got a corporate discount that got me the vehicle at factory pricing on an ordered vehicle. And because I spent the previous 6mo looking for one and never found one configured that way. I will however, be negotiating for some cost sharing on the extended warranty. ;-D

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.