Opinions Needed Re: Paint Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Opinions Needed Re: Paint Issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
greytlovers
2014 WK 

Opinions Needed Re: Paint Issue

Sally and I have had our 2014 GC Limited (factory ordered) for 3 weeks now. The other day I noticed 11 or so paint marks about the size of a small pimple, near the bottom front area of the driver's door. In essence it looks like a stone chip fix. I don't believe that to be the case however. Rather, I'm guessing some foreign material was on the door surface during the painting process.

Now, what should I do? It really isn't noticeable unless you are looking for it. Would you readers let the issue slide? If I don't do anything about it now, will something come back to bite me later (like rust)? If you are like me, the very thought of subjecting a new vehicle to the dealer's paint shop is unappealing at best. Or perhaps the dealer has some technique to smooth these tiny bumps/spots of paint. I don't know.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

greytlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are they bumps or chips? If it is the former then it sounds like a factory defect and I'd have the dealer take care of it. If it is the latter then it sounds like common road debris chips. Just purchase a small bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer and dab a little into each chip. Give it a light polishing afterward and the repair should be invisible.
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
greytlovers
2014 WK 

I am 95% certain that I'm dealing with "bumps" which were cause by foreign material left on the body prior to painting.
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Take it to the dealer, tell them you want it repaired or replace the door. Maybe talk to another shop first and see what their opinion is of what is causing it, so you have some ammo when you get to the dealer. Hopefully their body shop is better than the one at my dealer...
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
greytlovers
2014 WK 

zr2s10 - FYI the GC just came off the production line. We had it made to our specifications, minus the bumpy paint that is. The dealer said their body shop could (map?) (laser?) the problem and send it to Jeep for a decision. But I'm not keen on the idea that the skin of our new Jeep may be violated so soon. Perhaps the cure is worse than the bite, I don't know. Maybe the problem can be buffed out?
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If those are paint blisters then the cure won't be worse than the bite, because if left as-is they could eventually start lifting the paint. Any chance you can post a good photo?
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
greytlovers
2014 WK 

img_2294.jpg

Here is a pic of the paint problem.
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not a painter, but it doesn't look to me like those would buff out. At least a couple panels will have to be re-shot. If it bugs you take it to the dealer. If not, you could just let it ride and see if it gets worse. But I have a feeling it will. Even if it doesn't worsen you run the risk of some of the blisters getting popped by road debris. That could expose the metal and give rust a way in. At the very least keep a good eye on it.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I would make them repair it properly by repainting the whole door. Those could definitely be from contaminants on the surface, which would lead to rust spots.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
TAWS600

Those look like dust bubbles to me. If not too big they might be able to wet sand them out. Otherwise you're looking at a repaint. Anytime a body shop repaints a car you'll inevitably get dust bubbles. I suppose it can happen at the factory too because unfortunately nothing is perfect. Then it's up to the shop to spend the time to wet sand everything smooth. I've gone through this plenty of times with reprinted cars. Good luck. Sucks its on a brand new car.
TAWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.