OME lifted Diesel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
froggycsb
2014 WK 

OME lifted Diesel

I had the Old Man Emu lift installed yesterday on my WK2 and thought I would share some information and pictures.

2014 WK2 Limited EcoDiesel 4wd with Advanced Tech, Lux II, and Trailer tow groups.

OME parts used:
Front Spring (medium) - 3086
Front Strut - 90026
Rear Spring (medium) - 3074
Rear Shock - 60126
Trim Packer - FK79

Tires:
Toyo Open Country AT2 - LT275/65/18 (31.25" actual height)

New height measurements: (did not measure stock height)
Front - 35.25" from the ground to the bottom of the plastic wheel flare
Rear - 36.75" from the ground to the bottom of the plastic wheel flare

I had installed the OME lift on my old WK and knew that this one was going to be quite a bit harder. With the independent rear and longer front strut, this was not something I wanted to tackle. I had the lift installed by the team at Eastern Truck and Accessories in Norfolk VA. They said it was a bit of a bear, I guess everything had to be removed up front to get the strut out and quite a bit out back as well. They had it for a day and did the lift, tires, and alignment. Anyone in the Hampton Roads VA area should definitely check them out. Their prices are a bit high but their attitude and work is well worth it.

Since I didn't measure stock height I don't have an exact figure of how much lift the OME kit gave but I'll guess about 2" up front and 2.5" in the rear. I also went with a pretty tame tire as I didn't want too much road noise or worry about any rubbing. This tire is about 2" away from the pinch weld. The Toyo's were a great fit for me as they had the look I wanted and are not much louder than the stock tires. Also, for anyone interested, you can fit a larger tire (on stock offset wheels) with this lift than what I used. I would guess that a true 32" would fit without any trimming. You could also probably fit a 33" with the pinch weld folded over and a little massaging of the wheel liner.

So far the ride is great, the most noticeable change is the rear squat that used to take place on hard acceleration is completely gone. I've only put about 50 miles on since the lift so I'll reserve final judgement for a few weeks but so far I am happy.

I mostly lurk on these forums. I've gotten a lot of good information over the years and when I didn't see too much written up on the WK2 OME lift I thought I would put this together. Hopefully this info helps someone.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2044.jpg   IMG_2045.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. That is a nice looking Jeep.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6, 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Kolak
Vendor

Your Jeep looks great!

For anyone who hasn't seen it, there's work-in-progress thread here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...build-3233209/

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
froggycsb
2014 WK 

Rear end clunk after OME lift

It's been a month since I had this lift installed so I thought I would post an update on how this has been working for me. In short, I think OME has some re-designing to do. I would not recommend anyone in the US with a 4x4 WK2 Ecodiesel equipped with a tow package like mine to purchase this kit at this time. I am sure OME/ARB will figure it out but it may take some time.

Almost immediately after the lift was installed I noticed a clunk noise coming from the rear of the Jeep. It was not a persistent noise and only noticeable when hitting a pothole or while driving on rough road. I have had no problems in the front, the only issues have been with the rear. I drove it for a few days to figure out where the issue was. I pinpointed the noise to the area of the rear shock top mounting point after taking out everything in the rear storage compartment.

The folks at Eastern Truck and Accessories have been great. They have taken my Jeep back into their shop several times at their own cost to make this right. I am sure at first they wanted to make sure nothing had come loose, or that my Banks exhaust wasn’t causing the clunk. After spending some time troubleshooting they found the same thing I did. Mike and the guys must have spent an additional 3 days of labor on this issue at this point. Their customer service has been amazing. I really hope OME/ARB USA shows them some appreciation for their efforts.

I am told that OME/ARB USA is well aware of my issue. Eastern was sent a new set of rear shocks by them to verify that a bad/improper set was not sent originally. Both sets of OME rear shocks measured exactly the same and made the same rear clunk noise when installed. When they measured my stock shocks against the OME shocks the OME units were ~1/4” shorter. As a side note I am told that the shock shaft diameter was also larger on my stock shocks than the OMEs. Also, the shop staff was able to compress the OME shocks by hand (with a bit of effort), while the stock shocks could not be compressed by hand. This could be completely as designed and could mean nothing in the grand scheme of my clunk issue, just information that I wanted to pass on. The working theory at the moment is that the OME/ARB shocks are too short and the noise I am hearing is a result of them pulling the Jeep down against the top mounting hardware. Maybe there are different specs with the top mounting hardware used in the US?

While Eastern and ARB/OME figure out next steps, my Jeep is running the OME front set of springs and struts as mentioned above. The rear is now using the stock rear load leveling (Nivomat) shocks with the OME rear springs. My rear measurement is now 37.625” (37 5/8”) and the front has not changed. So far (50 miles) it drives great and makes no noise at all. The additional height (7/8”) in the rear is definitely noticeable and looks more like how my old OME lifted WK sat in the rear.

If anyone else has had these issues after a WK2 lift I’d love to hear about it. I’ve read some of the information about the Chrysler TSB for a similar issue but since my issue only appears with the OME shocks it doesn’t seem to apply.

I will keep this thread updated as I get additional information.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The factory did issue a TSB about clunking noises with the rear Nivomat shocks. It involved replacing them with a later part number. I wonder if OME patterned their rear shocks after the original part number OEM shocks and then ended up with the same issue that the factory had to resolve with (presumably) something slightly longer.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2015, 02:10 AM
BolderGuy
2013 WK 

No clunk on mine - one month and 500 miles so far.

I did notice the stock shocks were thicker than the OME.
Attached Thumbnails
20150622_213815.jpg  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
froggycsb
2014 WK 

Issue resolved...6 months later

After quite a bit of back and forth on this issue I finally picked up my Jeep today from the shop with the OME rear springs installed. I've only been able to put about 30 miles on it since picking it up but it would appear as though the clunk is gone.

There was a replacement bushing package (ARB/OME part# SMP725) that needed to be installed on top of the OME rear shocks. I wasn't given a picture of the assembly but was told by the shop that it was new bushings, a small spacer that went over the shock shaft, washers, and new top nuts.

For those that are interested my final height measurements are:
Front - 35.25" from the ground to the bottom of the plastic wheel flare
Rear - 36.75" from the ground to the bottom of the plastic wheel flare

I will keep an eye out for any issues but the clunk I had before was very evident and I would have heard it by now. I expect that this new bushing package fixed my issue. I haven't kept up on the forums for a few months to see if anyone else had any issues with this kit but I can now recommend this for anyone in the US with a 4x4 WK2 Ecodiesel equipped with a tow package, just make sure you have this bushing package handy.

One final thanks to Mike, Randy, and the rest of the guys at Eastern Truck and Accessories in Norfolk, VA. They were great through this entire ordeal. It honestly wasn't until they gave me the contact info for the rep at ARB that my issue began to get resolved.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 09:10 PM
volvite
1999 WJ 

Great news and hopefully their replacement part will fix the issue. Your jeep looks good. I need to pick up a second limited with the diesel and do the same. Wife drives our overland.

His 99 WJ Limited 4.7
Hers 15 Overland EcoDiesel, ORAII

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.