Which oil for V6? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Which oil for V6?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Which oil for V6?

The oil for the V6 has to be 5W-30 and meet the Chrysler specification MS-6395.
I bought some Castrol EDGE and I looked the specs on line thinking that all these oils meet manufacturers specs. It seems I was wrong, I need to search for a different oil.
What do you use?

jeepsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
IndyBob
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterguy View Post
The oil for the V6 has to be 5W-30 and meet the Chrysler specification MS-6395.
I bought some Castrol EDGE and I looked the specs on line thinking that all these oils meet manufacturers specs. It seems I was wrong, I need to search for a different oil.
What do you use?
Mobile 1 5w-30 is Chrysler MS-6395 approved.

So is Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
IndyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
mjw930

I doubt the Castrol Edge will be a problem as the GM and Ford specs it meets are every bit as rigorous as the Chrysler spec. You my want to call Castrol and ask why the didn't choose to certify it for Chrysler. In addition to the Mobil 1, Quaker State and Pennsoil (Shell) meet the specs.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

False alarm, my apologies.
The Castrol web site shows some manufacturers' specifications but not the Chrysler. I was at Wally World today and checked the 5Qt bottles and they show MS-6395Q.
They need to correct their web site. So, I picked two of those and I'm getting ready for the first oil change.
jeepsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
SPL170db

Oh well, should I ever do the oil change on my own then (I have a couple of Mopar filter carts coming in the mail) then I'll just pick up a jug of Mobil 1 5w-30 from Walmart instead of a jug of Rotella T6...no sweat.
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.