Oil in a new GC Laredo?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil in a new GC Laredo??

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
mixer440

Oil in a new GC Laredo??

OK, I'm completely baffled. After searching here and around the net...even calling the dealer and corporate offices,........I can't get a consistent answer. So, I'm turning to folks here.

Do the new Jeep Grand Cherokee's come with a special type of break-in oil ?

Here's some of the answers I've gotten:

--yes, with special minerals
--yes, well, basically just a synthetic
--yes, a blend that is very low viscosity
--no, just plain oil since the break in is done now at the factory
--no, but it does not matter
and on and on. Nothing really consistent so I'm not sure what the real one is.

My reason for asking is based on a early oil change at 500-800 miles (but that's a whole other can of worms).

Thanks for your input.

mixer440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
kkreit01

I would wager 99.9% that "no" it does not have any special, break-in oil -- which has to remain for a certain amount of time. Not many high-volume vehicles do now days...

I changed mine at 1700 mi. I change my car's at 700 -- but it was on the dealer lot for ~1yr prior to (me) buying it. For me, it all depends on the build date, mileage, and time as to when I do my first change.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
padgett
2012 WK 

Have wondered since my new Pentastar idle oil pressure is in the 30's hot which seems a little low. I plan to have the oil changed in a few weeks. Will probably stay with dino oil since change oil and filter often.

Does anyone know what the Pentastar oil pressure spec is ? Gear pump or rotor ?

Do not care for the fact that the thermostat appears to be a 195 but the fan does not turn on until about 206F. I really prefer to run a gas engine in the 180F-190F range. Everything under the hood lasts longer.
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
GaryGC

As far as I know, there are no special Break in Oils used for any automotive engines any more. Some do use synthetic from the facory, but this is only for a few domestic and foreign models. Jeep probably uses regular oil for their 6 and 8 cylinder, maybe Synthetic for the SRT8. Since you do want some break in to occur, I would be more inclined to keep the original oil in for at least 2,500 miles, then change it. That being said, it won't do any harm to change earlier if that eases your mind. We all want to take care of our engines and this is the most important aspect in doing so.
GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
padgett
2012 WK 

Started looking at the oil pressure readout and frankly am a little concerened that the reading in the Pentastar is so low. Hot is is reading 39 psi at 1800 rpm and 30 psi at idle with coolant temp of 203F. For a new engine (less than 200 miles) this seems very low unless a very light weight breakin oil is being used.

What are other people seeing on Pentastars at hot idle ?

Now it could be the sender, but I am used to a 3.8 liter iron V-6 having over 40 psi at hot idle and this seems very low.

ps found this: "Lubrication of the engine is through a variable displacement pump that adjusts the flow rate and pressure to minimize the energy used by the pump. The engine management system determines the oil pressure needs of the engine and commands an electronic solenoid to drive the pump into low or high pressure mode. If the engine is running below 3500 rpm, for example, the pump operates in the low pressure mode to conserve energy. When the engine is operating at more than 3500 rpm, the pump switches to high pressure." However it does not say what the "low pressure" and "high pressure" are. The old rule of thumb was 10 psi for every 1000 rpm but do not know if still true.

Last edited by padgett; 02-06-2012 at 08:06 PM..
padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i know cold or untill 158 deg the oil pressure will stay above 75psi( usually 80ish) at theat temp it will drop to 35-40psi
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
padgett
2012 WK 

Just checked and idle at 140F it was 70 psi, 180F, 45 psi, 203F 30psi. In a normal car I'd expect worn out bearings.

This is the type of thing I like to look up in a service manual. The lack of one being available almost made me not buy the GC, always in the past I have had the service manual first so my comfort level is not very high. Did find out that it is a vane (rotor) pump which usually does not vary much from idle to max rpm, maybe 40 psi idle and 50 psi at 5000 but apparently this one is "smart".

Just found this here:
Oil pressure Warm — 600-1,200 rpm: 34.7 kPa min (5 psi !!) ; 1,201-3,500 206.8 min (30 psi); 3,501 - 6,400, 427.0 min (62 psi) Cold — 958 (139 psi) so maybe nermal.
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
GaryGC

Not sure this helps, but was reading one of the latest car magazines last night and they had a photo of the auxilliary gauge cluster of the new 580HP Supercharged Camaro. The Oil PSI Guage has a range from 1 to 70, with 30 being top center. As with most gauges, I would expect that the normal range after warm up is in the middle at 30.
GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Only custom engine builders use break-in oil anymore, and many of them just use Mobil 1 or similar.
As many have stated - an early first change is good, but after that just follow the mfr recommendations.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.