Oil Leak. Dealer "drain plug is worn out" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Leak. Dealer "drain plug is worn out"

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6

Unread 02-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Heyniger_Al
2012 WK 

Oil Leak. Dealer "drain plug is worn out"

Little backstory:
2012 GC.
Aprx 68,000 miles.

I get my oil changed a little more frequently than recommended. Every 3k miles. The last time was last Wednesday, 2/3/16.

Start noticing oil on the ground after the change, take it back in, today 2/9/16.
The dealer (where I have done all my oil changes) acknowledges that everything looks normal however, there is a "visible" leak coming from the drain plug.

Diagnosis. "Drain Plug is worn out. The seal/gasket around the drain plug, where flush contact is made with the oil pan is no longer forming a good seal. I saw the technician ratchet it down and there was still a leak."

I have changed oil on many vehicles...never experienced this issue.

Service charges and fluid top of were waived but, they charged me for a new plug at $9.60 total.

Looking for anyone with a similar experience to chime in and steer me away from anything besides dealer error here. I am having a hard time believing that without gross over tightening of the drain plug, the seal would be compromised.
Also, to waive any labor/fluid charge points towards more than the dealer being nice about the inconvenience.

Heyniger_Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
SeniorVerde
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Worn out drain plug on a 2012? That's BS. Someone cranked on it a bit too hard and either stripped threads or cross threaded- since you always go to the same place, we know who that is.
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Heyniger_Al
2012 WK 

My thought ^ exactly and I specifically made those points. They denied that the threads were stripped or cross threaded and pointed to the seal area, where the plug physically touches the outside of the oil pan as the issue.

Total bs as the threaded section actually creates the seal. 10$ but it's the dishonesty that really gets me.
Unread 02-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Drains plugs used to have a crush washer which could be over crushed over time and reduce its sealing effectiveness. I don't think currently crush washers (or gasket) are used and the seal is built into the bolt head ... which can get over crushed. I don't think they depend on the treads for sealing. But I dunno. With all those customer appreciation oil changes, I haven't changed oil in awhile.
Unread 02-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
TAWS600

Had something similar happen a few months back. Started noticing oil after it was changed. Not much but shouldn't be leaking anything. Took it back. Dealer said it was a bad drain plug. Thought the same thing. How does it go bad unless stripped. Couldn't prove anything, paid the $8 or so for a new plug and that fixed the problem. At the time I had about 85,000 miles. 2011 hemi. Just out of curiosity what state are you in? I would find it humorous if it was the same dealer. Maybe the same tech. It is a small world u know.
TAWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I have a box of small copper gaskets that fit various sizes of drain plugs. Every now and then I will put a new one on. I think you just needed a new crush gasket. The rubber and plastic ones wear out. A simple little round gasket.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
fishinbama is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
Heyniger_Al
2012 WK 

In northern CT
Unread 02-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
2kg4u
2014 WK 

If you change your oil every 3,000 miles you have done 22 oil changes. That's at least double what most conservative owner's would do, or at $40 per change, an extra $400 or so to pour good oil down the drain. A $10 oil plug pales in comparison.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
kryogen
2011 WK 

Probably over torqued
Unread 02-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty much what others have said,put a new crush washer on it.
In all honesty they should be changed frequently, per the manual.
Unread 02-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
Heyniger_Al
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
If you change your oil every 3,000 miles you have done 22 oil changes. That's at least double what most conservative owner's would do, or at $40 per change, an extra $400 or so to pour good oil down the drain. A $10 oil plug pales in comparison.
Eh, thanks for the input Roy.
Unread 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
Heyniger_Al
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
Probably over torqued
Thanks
Unread 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
Dabitz
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
I have a friend with a 2015 Camry that changes his oil, full synthetic, every 1,500 miles. I tried to explain... but he wouldn't listen. It's his car and money at the end of the day.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #14
hemispin
2014 WK 

Bottom line - An oil pan is durable enough to withstand the "abuse" of removing and reinstalling the drain plug 22 + times. The problem is the mechanic not applying the correct torque to the plug. It must have been severely over-tightened many times. Usually drain plugs are torqued at around 25 ft-lbs. I don't know why some mechanics feel the need to tighten them so much.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

How are drain plugs do not have a removable replaceable gasket.
I swap in a new plug once a year just for the sake of it, but do not go adding a gasket or washer to the existing plug it will only cause you more problems.

It's rare that these peticular drain plugs will fail, but is it possible after over torquing, absolutely. It is more likely however based on the material that the oil pan has suffered some damage.
Simple solution is grab an OE dealer plug and do an oil change, bummer. If it's not the plug your in for a couple hundred anyway so it'll be needed anyhow. I'd avoid the BS of buying anything but an OE one, it's easy enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.