Oil change frustration with EcoDiesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil change frustration with EcoDiesel

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
womps
2014 WK 

Oil change frustration with EcoDiesel

I am soon looking at an oil change for my Ecodiesel as I am over 8,000 miles. This will be the first oil change. I go to Superstition Springs Jeep in Mesa, AZ. Service writer didn't know Jeep had a diesel but quoted me $54.99. Told him I needed more information so he got the supervisor who didn't know anything but said he would look it up. Came back with a quote of $292.29. I asked him if they had the special oil on hand or would they need to order it. Was told diesel only required synthetic which isn't special. So, does anyone in the Mesa area have a dealer they can recomend for something as simple as an oil change? I am so tired of this diesel baloney!

womps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Lol, they didn't know Jeep had a diesel? They had them 7 years ago!

If they didn't know there was a diesel, they surely don't know what oil to use. It's not like its an 05 Cummins, it surely needs some type of low ash oil for the DPF and other emissions junk.

Read your manual, be informed and get the stuff yourself and find someone to do it for you. Better yet, do it yourself!
Unread 12-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
womps
2014 WK 

Changing the oil myself is not an option. Have read the manual and that's why I knew the Jeep dealer didn't have a clue. Sure wish Fiat would educate their dealers somewhat. This engine has been out for a year already!! The service writer knew the Grand Cherokee had a diesel option on older models but didn't know it was an option for the 2014 models.
Unread 12-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
AOR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I changed the oil in mine myself using oil and filter as well as a jug of DEF from the dealer and it was under 100.00 total. Changing the oil is not difficult and is similar in difficulty to the v6 besides loosening a few clamps to gain access to the filter. The filter is pricy and the oil is synthetic so it's on par with any other synthetic oil in pricing.
AOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
thebishman

I would buy the specific oil for the EcoDiesel and take it with you. Do not trust them to put the correct type of oil in your GC.
thebishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

You can also try quick-lube places. I had them change the oil on my 2008 with the CRD a couple of times. They had the correct oil, but I had to bring in my own filter from the dealer and then they would give me a discount for a customer-supplied filter.

With the 2014 ecodiesel, my dealer charges around $180 and they claim you don't have to wait a long time for the oil to drip out like the Mercedes engine.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
JeepMattGA
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison
You can also try quick-lube places. I had them change the oil on my 2008 with the CRD a couple of times. They had the correct oil, but I had to bring in my own filter from the dealer and then they would give me a discount for a customer-supplied filter. With the 2014 ecodiesel, my dealer charges around $180 and they claim you don't have to wait a long time for the oil to drip out like the Mercedes engine.
Unless they carry Mobil 1 or the Pennzoil L low ash oils and the $40 filter, you'll have to bring those with you. I'm not sure about the MB engine, but It takes an hour and a half minimum to drain the oil out of the VM Diesel (just to drain).
If you use the wrong oils, you're F'd, and the repairs aren't covered by warranty.
JeepMattGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
rc51jim

The big brand quick lube places are just fine if they are run by a decent manager. I used to work at one some decades ago during college.
They all use computer databases to match up the vehicle oil, filter ect. Give them a call, they should be able to look it up and tell you over the phone if they can service your vehicle.
X-Pipe Mod
rc51jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
pwrdbym

Buy the proper oil on Amazon (2 cases to start, you'll have 4qts leftover) and the filter off ebay.
Then take them to any number of independent shops and pay them for labor to change it for you. As long as you use the proper products there is nothing else cosmic about the Ecodiesel oil change.
I changed mine and it didn't take 1.5 hrs for the oil to drain, no longer than any other engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Enjoyrv
2014 WK 

Had my oil changed today on Phoenix. $66 filter $60 oil and $26 labor. Double what I paid last time in WI.
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
womps
2014 WK 

Could you tell me what dealer you used in Phoenix. I still haven't changed my oil but will in the next couple of weeks.
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #12
Enjoyrv
2014 WK 

LarryMiller DodgeJeep in Surprise
Unread 02-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
BlackHeart23
2014 WK 

Jiffy Lube in Chandler does not carry the appropriate filter and was told by the manager I needed to go through the stealership. $120 and an hour and a half later I'm still waiting for them to figure out how to reset the gauge! I'll definitely be stocking up on the filter via ebay, they quotes me parts at $160?!
BlackHeart23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
womps
2014 WK 

I paid $127 and change to Earnhardt Jeep in Gilbert AZ last week. Was very satisfied with that price. Confirmed by part no. that they did use the correct oil. Price charged included environmental fees and sales tax.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.