Oil Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Change

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Geekyguru
2011 WK 

Oil Change

The manual says to change the oil at 8000 miles. My change oil appears now when I start the car with 4000 miles. ?

Geekyguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
hammer1234
2011 WK 

IIRC the computer is going to recommend an oil change based on your driving habits. We have been changing oil every 4K miles but we didn't get the message when we passed 12K miles. May have been that we drove more highway miles.
hammer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you get the oil changed at the dealer or a place that knows the jeep system, they would have reset the oil change timer. The computer calculates the oil change interval based on the kind of driving you do since its been reset, typically between 4 and 8K miles. The manual may say something like change at 8K miles or when the oil change is indicated. I do mostly highway driving and it was a bit over 8K before I got the first warning.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've been changing the oil every 3k (regular oil), and just switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic at 21k miles. I'll bump the oil changes to every 5k-6k. I doubt that this would hurt anything.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Iamnid
2011 WK 

Try checkyournumber.org

It says 8000 miles. Also, a Google search will show you how to reset the change oil message. I did it on mine, involved hitting the accelerator a few times or something.
Iamnid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
shmoods
2014 WK 

Does anyone know what type of oil the dealer will use if you get done there?
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
7BARFUN
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoods
Jeep recommends reg oil for the V6 and synthetic for the Hemi.
I've always used synthetic in all my cars but broke tradition and so far have only used reg oil in my V6. Definitely cheaper but do what your comfortable with. The dealer will put in what you want.
7BARFUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoods View Post
I think each dealer may be different. If you have a preference, you can ask them to use certain oil, or bring your own. They will also put synthetic in for an extra charge.

Jeep no longer recommends or prefers synthetic in the Hemi. You must stay with the recommended weight, however. The dealer will fill it with dino oil.

The OEM oil filters are a pretty good quality.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoods View Post
I would check with your dealer. I assume each dealer might use different types. My dealer uses synthetic-blend with a mopar filter. I will probably let them use the mopar filter but I will bring my own full synthetic oil. I get lifetime free oil and filter changes from the dealer. Does anyone know who makes the oil filters for mopar?
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.