Oil in air box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil in air box

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oil in air box

So who has noticed the build up of oil in the air box and on your air filter and what have you done to eliminate the problem.

I ask as I checked the air filter today and half of my K&N was completely soaked in oil. From what I can tell, it comes from the hose running from the valve cover to the air box.

Unread 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
doz
2012 WK 

Youll want to pickup a catch can. http://www.shophemi.com/p-1298-27l-3...echnology.aspx
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

The same thing I had recommended to me by a buddy with an SRT8 WK.

Seems absolutely ridiculous they're pumping oil into the air box to be sucked into the engine.

Doesn't oil kill the octane in gas or am I wrong?
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

I just went to change my air filter and noticed the same thing. Might explain why I've noticed the car feeling sluggish. Is it something as simple as that? Just installing an oil separator?
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
kkreit01

Yes -- it's that simple, but not cheap if you buy a good one.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
avalys
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
Yes -- it's that simple, but not cheap if you buy a good one.
It's a canister that the used oil dribbles into. How "good" does it need to be?
avalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
lysol
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalys View Post
It's a canister that the used oil dribbles into. How "good" does it need to be?
The "mount" needs to be good.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
kkreit01

Most buy/praise Billet Technologies. I plan to buy one for my Ram the next time they have a sale. UPR is an ebay copycat. Then, there are the Chinese generics on ebay -- which I'd stay clear of. Moroso also makes a nice one.

Back when I had a Neon, I've seen some build their own for ~$25.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

putting a catch on is just a cover up fix that costs more then its worth. this is the real reason. (taken from sticky in the zj forum)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...-filter-98371/

I will tell you what I know: the rear plastic line is connected to the intake manifold. The manafold pulls a slight vacuum on the valve cover and recycles the blow-by gases back into the combustion chambers. The front line is connected to the air filter. From this line, it purges the blow-by gases with fresh air. If the rear line is disconnected or block/clogged, then you do not have a purge in your valve cover anymore. If blocked then the valve cover becomes slightly pressurized, so the oily vapors are force in the reverse direction to the air filter and deposit on the top of the filter. Remove the rear line and clean it with brake fluid. If this CCV line is disconnected, then you may smell and see the vapors.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You know I was thinking the same thing, but maybe its different between V8 and V6. On the V8, the catch can connects between the PVC valve and intake manifold, no where near the air filter. There is a so called air makeup hose connected from the crankcase to the air filter box, but air should be flowing from the box into the crankcase, not into the air box. Oil on the air filter is probably blow by (either the PVC hose is blocked or valve defective or you have serious ring problems).

Are others seeing a lot of oil in the V6 air filter housing?
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

that's exactly what it is, its blow-by engines have this normally but filter it back into the combustion if the rear line is clogged then you end up with the blow-by/oil in your airbox usually its just the elbow connected to the valve cover that gets clogged. the link I posted explains it better if you read threw it.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

BTW, I have the Hemi. I talked to my service manager/girlfriend's father and he thinks it may be the pcv valve and he would take a look at it. I guess I should have been a little more anal and check the car every month like I used to do with my VWs.
Hopefully I won't have to hear "See, this is why I tell you to change your oil more often instead of waiting for the 8,000"
I did notice sluggish performance, worse mileage, and it sometimes felt like the engine stuttered, although I never suffered a complete stall.
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.