Off roading with the Trailhawk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Off roading with the Trailhawk

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Off roading with the Trailhawk

I am taking my TH out for the first time. I asked a couple questions before but not sure where the thread went.

We will be mostly on fire roads. Hard packed but a little rocky. May have some single track type stuff but definitely taken it easy first time out. Not new to off road but it has all been with a Polaris RzR.

1. On stock tires what pressure should I run?
2. What setting should I use? Mud/sand? Or just leave in auto but raise the QL as high as it will go?
3. How does the hill decent work? Just curious in case I get going down a steep incline?

Yes I have read the manual. Yes I have watched the included DVD. I want to hear from the pro's.

Thanks

Unread 11-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have used the HDC. I was not impressed in the least. I prefer to have control over my vehicle, at least when it comes to something like going down hill. So I used it for about 5 minutes when I was in the San Juans last summer. I quickly turned it off and used 4-Low Auto. I think you would be fine to use just Auto and choose whatever QL you want. if it will just be hard pack I see no reason to air down but that is just me. Do you have a way to air back up if you do air down, though? Not that you will be airing down that much anyway, if you did. Edit: read my build thread. I have posts about my CO trip and I talked about the settings I used. No airing down though I should have.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
goin2drt
2013 WK 

I do have a way to air back up. I like the 4wd low idea instead of HDC, that's what I figured. I will check out your thread on CO trip.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
I do have a way to air back up. I like the 4wd low idea instead of HDC, that's what I figured. I will check out your thread on CO trip.
Not having used HDC or low range yet
Question, can you use low range and HDC as well and will that provide attitional control on very very slopes
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I noticed this in the owners manual:

HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during off-road driving situations and is available in 4WD LOW range only.

The HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

• 1st=1mph(1.6km/h)
• 2nd=2.5mph(4km/h)
• 3rd=4mph(6km/h)
• 4th=5.5mph(9km/h)
• 5th, 6th or D (Drive) = 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
• REVERSE = 1 mph (1.6 km/h)
• NEUTRAL = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
• PARK = HDC will not function
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase
I noticed this in the owners manual:

HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during off-road driving situations and is available in 4WD LOW range only.

The HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

• 1st=1mph(1.6km/h)
• 2nd=2.5mph(4km/h)
• 3rd=4mph(6km/h)
• 4th=5.5mph(9km/h)
• 5th, 6th or D (Drive) = 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
• REVERSE = 1 mph (1.6 km/h)
• NEUTRAL = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
• PARK = HDC will not function
Well done
Many thanks
It is what i suspected
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

I didn't see the tire pressure question answered yet so I'll throw that out there. You should be able to get away anything in the 15-18 range. I might say start at 18 and ease it down lower if you feel comfortable or if the need presents itself.

As for the other stuff, if you're mostly rolling on fire roads or two tracks that are normal grade with no steep ascents/descents regular 4wd will be fine. If you find yourself getting climbing or descending steep grades, encountering rocky, sandy or muddy terrain engage 4LO and select the appropriate terrain mode.
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Thanks guys for all the help. Headed out this morning and I will be sure to get pics and video of the maiden voyage. I can't wait.
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
spinxt

I used HDC on an wet old unmaintained fire road in PA and it worked flawlessly. I did notice if you have it in 4 or 5 it sometimes let the vehicle build up a little more speed than I was comfortable with. However in 1,2,& 3 it worked great and allowed me to concentrate on steering and staying out of ruts.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
I used HDC on an wet old unmaintained fire road in PA and it worked flawlessly. I did notice if you have it in 4 or 5 it sometimes let the vehicle build up a little more speed than I was comfortable with. However in 1,2,& 3 it worked great and allowed me to concentrate on steering and staying out of ruts.
Well of course it built up more speed in 4 and 5. The vehicle is going faster/has a higher speed limit to which HDC will work. The slowest the vehicle will travel is 1st and the fast would be 5th+.

1st=1mph(1.6km/h)
2nd=2.5mph(4km/h)
3rd=4mph(6km/h)
4th=5.5mph(9km/h)
5th, 6th or D (Drive) = 7.5 mph (12 km/h)

Unread 11-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
spinxt

Way more than the values you have listed...it would build to 10-12mph, then slam the brakes on. 4&5 are worthless... 1,2&3 work great. Trust me I use it all the time.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I didn't list them. Coldcase did. I have used HDC also many a time. All my gears functioned in the listed speeds. Not sure why there is a difference.

Unread 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Well the maiden voyage was awesome. Jeep was great and no issues. I will post a few pics soon. I did not air down but probably should have. A few roads turned a little rocky and the shocks seemed to slam off of them. At least that is what I assume the loud thud was. Climbed really well, nothing we did was that major. A few trails had some sand as we were in a wash and again no problem. Even did NE small rock climb. There was a little rock shelf in the wash we needed to go up. I was playing with the settings a bit. Tried to go into rock but it wouldn't stay in that setting. Then I tried 4wd lo and that wouldn't stay either. I think I must be doing something wrong. At the end of the day auto setting and 1st gear walked right up the rock.

Thanks for all the help.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
goin2drt
2013 WK 

Here are some pics from a few sights around Randsburg.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
RllyDrvrIX
2012 WK 

Looks like fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.