JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Off roading with the Trailhawk (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/off-roading-trailhawk-1830434/)

goin2drt 11-26-2013 10:37 AM

Off roading with the Trailhawk

I am taking my TH out for the first time. I asked a couple questions before but not sure where the thread went.

We will be mostly on fire roads. Hard packed but a little rocky. May have some single track type stuff but definitely taken it easy first time out. Not new to off road but it has all been with a Polaris RzR.

1. On stock tires what pressure should I run?
2. What setting should I use? Mud/sand? Or just leave in auto but raise the QL as high as it will go?
3. How does the hill decent work? Just curious in case I get going down a steep incline?

Yes I have read the manual. Yes I have watched the included DVD. I want to hear from the pro's.

Thanks

Jackal01 11-26-2013 11:15 AM

I have used the HDC. I was not impressed in the least. I prefer to have control over my vehicle, at least when it comes to something like going down hill. So I used it for about 5 minutes when I was in the San Juans last summer. I quickly turned it off and used 4-Low Auto. I think you would be fine to use just Auto and choose whatever QL you want. if it will just be hard pack I see no reason to air down but that is just me. Do you have a way to air back up if you do air down, though? Not that you will be airing down that much anyway, if you did. Edit: read my build thread. I have posts about my CO trip and I talked about the settings I used. No airing down though I should have.

goin2drt 11-26-2013 11:34 AM

I do have a way to air back up. I like the 4wd low idea instead of HDC, that's what I figured. I will check out your thread on CO trip.

fwdjeep 11-26-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 18033730)
I do have a way to air back up. I like the 4wd low idea instead of HDC, that's what I figured. I will check out your thread on CO trip.

Not having used HDC or low range yet
Question, can you use low range and HDC as well and will that provide attitional control on very very slopes

ColdCase 11-26-2013 08:36 PM

I noticed this in the owners manual:

HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during off-road driving situations and is available in 4WD LOW range only.

The HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

• 1st=1mph(1.6km/h)
• 2nd=2.5mph(4km/h)
• 3rd=4mph(6km/h)
• 4th=5.5mph(9km/h)
• 5th, 6th or D (Drive) = 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
• REVERSE = 1 mph (1.6 km/h)
• NEUTRAL = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
• PARK = HDC will not function

fwdjeep 11-26-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I noticed this in the owners manual:

HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during off-road driving situations and is available in 4WD LOW range only.

The HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

• 1st=1mph(1.6km/h)
• 2nd=2.5mph(4km/h)
• 3rd=4mph(6km/h)
• 4th=5.5mph(9km/h)
• 5th, 6th or D (Drive) = 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
• REVERSE = 1 mph (1.6 km/h)
• NEUTRAL = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
• PARK = HDC will not function

Well done
Many thanks
It is what i suspected

kkuntz01 11-26-2013 11:12 PM

I didn't see the tire pressure question answered yet so I'll throw that out there. You should be able to get away anything in the 15-18 range. I might say start at 18 and ease it down lower if you feel comfortable or if the need presents itself.

As for the other stuff, if you're mostly rolling on fire roads or two tracks that are normal grade with no steep ascents/descents regular 4wd will be fine. If you find yourself getting climbing or descending steep grades, encountering rocky, sandy or muddy terrain engage 4LO and select the appropriate terrain mode.

goin2drt 11-27-2013 07:34 AM

Thanks guys for all the help. Headed out this morning and I will be sure to get pics and video of the maiden voyage. I can't wait.

spinxt 11-27-2013 09:17 AM

I used HDC on an wet old unmaintained fire road in PA and it worked flawlessly. I did notice if you have it in 4 or 5 it sometimes let the vehicle build up a little more speed than I was comfortable with. However in 1,2,& 3 it worked great and allowed me to concentrate on steering and staying out of ruts.

Jackal01 11-27-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinxt (Post 18060226)
I used HDC on an wet old unmaintained fire road in PA and it worked flawlessly. I did notice if you have it in 4 or 5 it sometimes let the vehicle build up a little more speed than I was comfortable with. However in 1,2,& 3 it worked great and allowed me to concentrate on steering and staying out of ruts.

Well of course it built up more speed in 4 and 5. The vehicle is going faster/has a higher speed limit to which HDC will work. The slowest the vehicle will travel is 1st and the fast would be 5th+.

1st=1mph(1.6km/h)
2nd=2.5mph(4km/h)
3rd=4mph(6km/h)
4th=5.5mph(9km/h)
5th, 6th or D (Drive) = 7.5 mph (12 km/h)

spinxt 11-27-2013 12:54 PM

Way more than the values you have listed...it would build to 10-12mph, then slam the brakes on. 4&5 are worthless... 1,2&3 work great. Trust me I use it all the time.

Jackal01 11-27-2013 07:29 PM

I didn't list them. Coldcase did. I have used HDC also many a time. All my gears functioned in the listed speeds. Not sure why there is a difference.

goin2drt 12-01-2013 02:15 PM

Well the maiden voyage was awesome. Jeep was great and no issues. I will post a few pics soon. I did not air down but probably should have. A few roads turned a little rocky and the shocks seemed to slam off of them. At least that is what I assume the loud thud was. Climbed really well, nothing we did was that major. A few trails had some sand as we were in a wash and again no problem. Even did NE small rock climb. There was a little rock shelf in the wash we needed to go up. I was playing with the settings a bit. Tried to go into rock but it wouldn't stay in that setting. Then I tried 4wd lo and that wouldn't stay either. I think I must be doing something wrong. At the end of the day auto setting and 1st gear walked right up the rock.

Thanks for all the help.

goin2drt 12-01-2013 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics from a few sights around Randsburg.

Attachment 884969

Attachment 884977

Attachment 884985

Attachment 884993

RllyDrvrIX 12-01-2013 07:13 PM

Looks like fun!

The time now is 06:26 AM.