OBX Road Trip - Beach/Dunes/V6 MPG - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > OBX Road Trip - Beach/Dunes/V6 MPG

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Kev M
2012 WK 

OBX Road Trip - Beach/Dunes/V6 MPG

Just got back from a week staying in the dunes north of Corolla, NC.

The Jeep was FANTASTIC both on the road and off.

We drove overnight both ways so our 16 month old could sleep. We were a bit slower on the way down than on the way up because I was trying to get there after dawn so we wouldn't have to run up the dunes and find the house in the dark (especially if we got stuck - the 4wd servo error thread had us nervous). That effort was largely for naught as we still arrived 2 hours before dawn and I wasn't about to wait for the sunrise that long.

Still we drove so sedately we saw our best mileage yet - averaged 26 mpg on the way down (mostly down Route 1 and 13 through DelMarVa to the Bay Bridge/Tunnel) so speeds were generally just 50-60 mph.

Came home a little quicker last night so mileage dropped to 25 mpg. I'm pretty impressed.

We even managed 20 mpg running around the beaches/dunes and local roads with the tires aired down.

Speaking of beaches and dunes, as I reported in the 4wd Servo Error thread we had ZERO problems and didn't get stuck once. If the radio was actually off I could hear the brake system working for traction every now and again (mostly crossing the DEEP sand on the dunes) but she never missed a beat.

As a matter of fact we got a knock on the door one evening as a Wrangler Unlimited was high-centered on a dune just up the road from our place, just one water crossing away.

I threw the recovery hook in the tow hitch and ran a tow strap around his front hooks. Set her in 4wd LO and Sand Mode, then pulled it off the dune like it was made of paper.

We couldn't be happier with our WK2.

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Kev M
2012 WK 

Looks like I'm not alone with this kinda mileage -

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...4-mpg-1501537/

Also sounds like abouty 65 mph is the upper limit for max mpg.

Not bad at all.
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
stevebanzai
2014 WK 

Awesome! Did you head up to Corolla? Or were you down south?
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Kev M
2012 WK 

We stayed in a friend's house in the dunes of Swan Beach, North of the Corolla town center.
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

I'll be there again in July, but we usually stay in Duck and then drive up to see the horses and beach, it's one of the highlights of my vacation. Thanks for sharing.
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Heading there in June, hopefully we get the same mileage! And hopefully my wife can pack judiciously, as I don't want to have to take the Avalanche down! As fun as it would be on the beach, the gas mileage won't be quite that nice, lol. I know we barely fit everything into my old WJ when we went to Pymatuning last summer, but my 1 yr old son doesn't need quite as much stuff as he did then. We can skip the high chair, bouncy chair, and even the pack'n'play I think. And I'm going to make a custom rear rack for the hitch, so we can put the coolers out back.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

We're pretty good at traveling light - hell, on our bikes my wife just throws a single dry-bag over the back of her Ducati these days and can be good for a week.

We had enough room in the WK2 (with the pack-n-play, but no high chair cause our friends have one in their OBX house) that I could still see out the back. I guess that means we could have almost doubled the amount of "stuff" we brought.

I should add a story - got home around 2:00 am on Saturday morning, and about a mile from our house the 3 lane highway was funneled into a single lane by traffic cones - surrounded by police cars with their red and blues burning. We were greeted by about 2 dozen state troopers running a DUI check point.

I pulled up and rolled down the window.

Trooper "How are you doing tonight?"

Me, enthusiastically, "I'm FANTASTIC"

Trooper, shining light in my eyes (watching my pupils) and putting a hand on my shoulder "You're definitely drunk"

Me, just as enthusiastically, "NOPE, that's why I'm FANTASTIC".
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
We're pretty good at traveling light - hell, on our bikes my wife just throws a single dry-bag over the back of her Ducati these days and can be good for a week.

We had enough room in the WK2 (with the pack-n-play, but no high chair cause our friends have one in their OBX house) that I could still see out the back. I guess that means we could have almost doubled the amount of "stuff" we brought.

I should add a story - got home around 2:00 am on Saturday morning, and about a mile from our house the 3 lane highway was funneled into a single lane by traffic cones - surrounded by police cars with their red and blues burning. We were greeted by about 2 dozen state troopers running a DUI check point.

I pulled up and rolled down the window.

Trooper "How are you doing tonight?"

Me, enthusiastically, "I'm FANTASTIC"

Trooper, shining light in my eyes (watching my pupils) and putting a hand on my shoulder "You're definitely drunk"

Me, just as enthusiastically, "NOPE, that's why I'm FANTASTIC".
Probable cause??? Obviously the troopers need some additional training!!!
Just give the baloon to blow up trooper. I love to purposely mess up the alphabet. And I cant stand just on left leg because of knee surgery and nerve damage w/o wobbling. Problem is these days when I am unlucky to hit a checkpoint I am stone cold sober and that leads to problems with authority.
One time when I was 18yo got pulled over. Officer shined light in my car adn said sir you crossed the double line twice. I said that is pretty good since you cant see the double lyellow line even in the daylight. He said how many beers have you had son. I said one which was the truth since I was taking my date home. He said get out of here.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Probable cause??? Obviously the troopers need some additional training!!!
DUI checkpoints are an allowable "exception" to the 4th ammendment right against unreasonable search and seizures as per a 1990 US Supreme Court decision.

I do not actually concur with the court's thoughts on it.

And I'm glad to say that about 10 states have chosen to specifically prohibit them, but sadly PA is not one.

That said, I harbor no ill will towards the Troopers who were doing their job, were consumate professionals, and who were smart enough to see that I was stone cold sober and just driving my family home so I wasn't even asked to get out of the Jeep.
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Kev M
2012 WK 

BTW - just behind me in this shot is where I had to rescue the Wrangler...

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Forgot to ask earlier, are you running stock tires? I plan on putting my stocks back on soon (winter set on now), and was wondering how they would do if I talk the wife into a trip to the 4wd beach.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
Forgot to ask earlier, are you running stock tires? I plan on putting my stocks back on soon (winter set on now), and was wondering how they would do if I talk the wife into a trip to the 4wd beach.
Yup - stockers, 10k miles on em.
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.