JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   NY Police WK2 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/ny-police-wk2-1759066/)

rchung813 11-04-2013 10:01 PM

NY Police WK2

4 Attachment(s)
I was out photographing the NYC Marathon and caught a WK2 that had police lights. I never seen this before and was quite taken a back. What are your thoughts? Looks nice, the police lights could have been place in a better location?

ArloGuthroJeep 11-04-2013 10:12 PM

What would have been a better location? It is hard when you buy a non-popular vehicle and retro fit with lights - you're pretty much limited to the generic/general purpose lights and put them where you think they fit.

A buddy (fire investigator/deputy - private vehicle) has an Avalanche and has been able to put lights pretty much where ever he wants since it is the same as the popular Tahoe police vehicles. Never seen a regular Jeep Grand Cherokee police vehicle (used to see XJ's way back when).

To me it looks fine, but I suspect that is a private vehicle again and would be suspicious of it pulling me over vs. a standard police-style vehicle.

Edit: you sure it is a police vehicle and not just fire since it doesn't appear to have blue? White/red only?

rchung813 11-04-2013 10:43 PM

Maybe not better placement, though having larger and more noticeable lights behind the grill. With the side mirrors, having the police lights would make it standout.

As for the Jeep it appears to be one of those undercover police cars since the fire dept wasn't part of the lead cars that adds security. Given what happened in Boston there were cops all over.

ColdCase 11-04-2013 11:37 PM

If its an "unmarked" vehicle, they would not want it to stand out. Police in our area often use the V8 WK2 for unmarked patrols.

gabbagabba 11-05-2013 05:56 AM

Not only is it a WK2, it is a 2013 Trailhawk (note red tow hooks, metal rock rails, tires). Might be a chiefs vehicle, or a private contractor. Very cool nevertheless. If we are really lucky an argument will breakout about tires, v6 vs v8, or whether subarus are geriatric or not :)

baskoner 11-05-2013 06:54 AM

Wow, I need me some of those red lights for inside my headlights.

WvTaco 11-05-2013 07:38 AM

we have about 6 wk2 as police vehicles here, most are silver.

aren't red and white light a mark for a fire dept car?

Jackal01 11-05-2013 08:08 AM

Emergency lighting color depends on the state. Texas: Red and Blue for any emergency vehicle including POVs. And actually an emergency vehicle is only required to have one "rotating" red light that can be seen 360 degrees. When I was in my other FD, I had Red, Blue, White and Amber on my POV. So in Texas, as long as an emergency vehicle has 360 degrees of red from the highest and widest point, any other color is allowed by law however a department can decide on whether or not to allow that or be more stringent. I know some Fire Chiefs only like red on their vehicles and many cops only like blue on their vehicles. New York is red and white for police however they can use blue along WITH red and white. FD/EMS is red and white only. I think Tennessee is blue only for police.

So with all that said, when you travel to different states it is a good idea to know what colors police use. Coming into Texas (a person not knowing lighting laws) if a car pulls up behind you with just a single blue dash light or kojack/gumball on top you wouldn't know that is someone posing as police which can obviously be dangerous. But if you did know that this vehicle behind you is not the police or you are suspicious of it you can call 911 and ask for a uniformed, marked unit. That is what you should do anyway if the vehicle looks questionable.

kkreit01 11-05-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baskoner (Post 17448858)

No -- not unless you are a first responder or volunteer fireman.

elarm1 11-05-2013 09:26 AM

Military Police have plenty of the WK2's on my side of town

SteelBlue_WJ 11-05-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elarm1 (Post 17452098)
Military Police have plenty of the WK2's on my side of town

you should snap some pics

Jackal01 11-05-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baskoner (Post 17448858)

Not to mention most states have laws against red lights in front of your vehicle. Just like the idiots that put blue on the front. Red is just stupid for any reason other than an emergency vehicle. Why confuse other drivers like that?

Sorry to get off topic. I'm done on my soap box.

elarm1 11-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue_WJ (Post 17453114)
you should snap some pics

Sorry pal, never been the type to go looking for the police and I'm too busy to notice them on my journey!

rchung813 11-05-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabbagabba (Post 17447914)
Not only is it a WK2, it is a 2013 Trailhawk (note red tow hooks, metal rock rails, tires). Might be a chiefs vehicle, or a private contractor. Very cool nevertheless. If we are really lucky an argument will breakout about tires, v6 vs v8, or whether subarus are geriatric or not :)

Speaking of tires, what tires are they running on? And it looks like they have 20" rims? It was a nice surprise to see this WK2 in the marathon course.

American_MP 11-05-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep (Post 17443066)

Edit: you sure it is a police vehicle and not just fire since it doesn't appear to have blue? White/red only?

New York Police use RED for their patrol cars.

The time now is 06:09 AM.