Not your average Jeep owner, I'm itching for performance modifications! Let's talk! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Not your average Jeep owner, I'm itching for performance modifications! Let's talk!

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
prepreludesh
2014 WK 

Not your average Jeep owner, I'm itching for performance modifications! Let's talk!

Like I said in the title, I'm not your average Jeep guy. The allure of the JGC was the stunning looks and high-class interior to me.

But I come from a background of tinkering around with cars (mainly Honda/Acura's) and have found there are middle-grounds to the extent of modifications that can give you increased fuel economy and HP gains (not at the same time, granted).

But I'm wondering, where are the offerings for exhaust components, tuning software and intakes? Specifically for the new 3.6L (because that is what I have). But frankly, I haven't seen much coming out for an engine that's going to be in everything that Chrysler is offering with a V-6 in it.

On my 2010 Acura TL, I put on an intake, J-Pipe (this exhaust component makes the header equal-length, improving scavenging) and a third-cat delete pipe. On top of seeing increased HP, I also saw an increase in fuel efficiency on the highway by up to 2.8 MPG.

I'd love to see these kinds of things available on the Jeep, so who knows any information on where or when items like this are coming out?

Unread 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
JeremiahB

I fall under the exact same criteria. I have owned an Integra, Legend, TL, two RLs, some Hondas, VW Toureg, and more. I can tell you, even coming from Acura, this is the best vehicle I have owned and you'll love it. I am a performance guy too so I opted for the Hemi. I want to add exhaust and intake, mainly for sound but the power upgrade will be nice as well. I hope Borla comes out with something as their exhausts seem to perform and sound the best. Other than that I need to get some 20s as I have the fugly 18s.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
LostAbbott

I have already been crawling around under my Jeep(mainly looking for a place to put a shovel and handyman jack) I noticed that the exhaust could definitely be opened up on the 3.6. I would also love to see what we can do with the intake seeing as how there is about a foot of clearance between the radiator and the front of the engine. Also would love see what people are coming up with as far as ecu re-programing. I am sure some one out there can figure out how to increase mpg and HP at the same time.
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
prepreludesh
2014 WK 

Yeah, I imagine that a majority of older Jeep owners are going to have a hard time choking down a new "following" that comes to Jeep to take advantage of things that never existed before, namely, air suspensions, independent rear suspension, unibody chasis, upscale interior appointments, etc. The people I knew in Ohio that owned them wanted the 4WD to tackle snow and because they were usually cheap and plentiful.

I'm not going to be swapping out axles, adding a snorkel or adding 35" tires on it, but I hope that performance companies realize this new crowd coming to Jeep and accomodates our wants!
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
JeremiahB

I know exactly what you mean. I had an 05 Grand Cherokee that was purely for utility. This new GC is nothing like the old one. In fact, I cross shopped it with sedans and coupes and $ for $ it comes out on top no matter what you compare it with.
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
robbversion1

Yea, the customer base of Jeep is widening now. I'm an 'import tuner' and plan on picking up a GC this summer (hopefully). I would love to know what items you guys find.
robbversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Rckstar113
2011 WK 

Subscribed! I'm dying for a new GC, but I'm ganna wait to see what other toys/accessories come out... I dont need a monster lift, but a 4.5" would be nice, and a decent selection of rims.

-2001 Chevy Corvette Z06 - Black on Black/Mod Red - 12.3@115 BONE STOCK.

-2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - 3.6L, OR1 Pack, Selec-terrain, panoramic roof, ect... needs lift, tube bumper, roof rack, and meaty wheels!
Rckstar113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is talk of new intakes because the stock one for the 3.6L is supposed to be so restrictive that it almost starves it of air. Being Jeepers, I would hope that they understand that need (and that info came from one of the CAI companies), but also understand that we want to protect the engine with a filter that is not made by K&N (because of the amount of dust they let in). There are exhausts that have come out or are coming out soon, and there should be some programmers coming in the future (not so far off future btw).

I also got a little hint that this July the 3.6L should be getting a prototyped Supercharger from RIPP. They got last gen Hemi numbers from the JK 3.8L, so I would hope they can get current gen Hemi #s from the 3.6L. I would hope for around 350-400 at the crank (I believe doable with a new exhaust, intake, and programming) ON 87 OCTANE PUMP FUEL (maybe 89). In fact, if they can't get the 2012 JK they ordered from Chrysler in July, they will consider our WK2 for the prototype

Now just imagine when we get the 6.4L Hemi
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
JeremiahB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahB View Post
I fall under the exact same criteria. I have owned an Integra, Legend, TL, two RLs, some Hondas, VW Toureg, and more. I can tell you, even coming from Acura, this is the best vehicle I have owned and you'll love it. I am a performance guy too so I opted for the Hemi. I want to add exhaust and intake, mainly for sound but the power upgrade will be nice as well. I hope Borla comes out with something as their exhausts seem to perform and sound the best. Other than that I need to get some 20s as I have the fugly 18s.
Almost forgot, I had an MDX too....no comparison
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Deserteagle83
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahB View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I had an 05 Grand Cherokee that was purely for utility. This new GC is nothing like the old one. In fact, I cross shopped it with sedans and coupes and $ for $ it comes out on top no matter what you compare it with.
I couldn't agree with you more. My wife and i were looking at the Mercedes GLK350, the Cadillac SRX, and the Audi Q5. Keep in mind those were the ONLY vehicles we were considering... With the Caddy leading. The Friday before we were going to go to the dealer and pick up our caddy we saw the new JGC commercial... After some quick internet searching, and a few youtube videos we decided to go check one out. Needless to say we left the dealer with a Silver Overland loaded to the hilt with add-ons. The old JGC would not even have registered on our radar, but this new one is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Definitely going to be a different demographic that looks at purchasing this compared to the jeeps of old.
Deserteagle83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
m5biemer
2011 WK 

Same here, coming from BMW X5 which we had for 6 years. Started having some issues and I suggested to my wife back in January that we go check out the new GC, I had seen some of the commercials and read some of the reviews. We have other Chrysler products so we were somewhat familiar. First wish was a Cayenne GTS but the price point was a bit too much, next choice was Audi Q5 as we have another Audi, but they're scarce, so we checked out the GC and the Acura MDX. We were very impressed with the GC, the way it drove, new shape and high-end interior. The MDX is also a fine car, just wasn't as much as an "SUV" as the GC, definitely more a crossover than suv. The GC was about $7k cheaper and it has stuff the MDX does not, so we opted for the GC. Happy so far but only have 200 miles. Also hoping that tuner, exhaust and CAI are available soon, I did all 3 on my Ram hemi and am very satisfied. After having the Ram hemi and X5 with V8, we decided to get the hemi on the GC, although our test drive vehicle as the V6 and it performed well. However, we do a bunch of mountain driving and felt that the Hemi would be better in that environment, especially if towing.

The look on the Acura salesman's face when we told him we were going with the Jeep-priceless! Even more interesting is that the dealerships are right across the street from each other, the Acura guys didn't have a clue about the new GC. I'm thinking this will be the same reaction from other brands as well!!
m5biemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
JeremiahB

Aweosome story, I think Acura and many other high end brands are in for a rude awakening. Go Jeep!!
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hell yeah, I say it all the time. These other lux brands don't realize what kind of competition they have from these WK2s. I was so tempted when buying to roll into a BMW dealership with a WK2 (and a salesman) and try to get the BMW dealer to sell us on an X3. Seriously, the WK2 is cheaper, has more HP, cheaper gas, cheaper maintenance, better ride, heritage... I wanted to do that with many vehicles to be perfectly honest, especially the Mercedes ML.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Varis
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepreludesh View Post
Like I said in the title, I'm not your average Jeep guy. The allure of the JGC was the stunning looks and high-class interior to me.

But I come from a background of tinkering around with cars (mainly Honda/Acura's) and have found there are middle-grounds to the extent of modifications that can give you increased fuel economy and HP gains (not at the same time, granted).

But I'm wondering, where are the offerings for exhaust components, tuning software and intakes? Specifically for the new 3.6L (because that is what I have). But frankly, I haven't seen much coming out for an engine that's going to be in everything that Chrysler is offering with a V-6 in it.

On my 2010 Acura TL, I put on an intake, J-Pipe (this exhaust component makes the header equal-length, improving scavenging) and a third-cat delete pipe. On top of seeing increased HP, I also saw an increase in fuel efficiency on the highway by up to 2.8 MPG.

I'd love to see these kinds of things available on the Jeep, so who knows any information on where or when items like this are coming out?

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of a deal did you get from Faricy Boys? I go to them for all of my Jeep service and I'm planning on getting a JCG from them sometime this year.
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
prepreludesh
2014 WK 

Grand Cherokee Overland V-6. Brilliant Black/Frosted Beige. 730N Navigation. Trailer Hitch installed (but not billed for it). $38,800 was the amount they matched from our previous dealer we had ordered from (and cancelled after waiting 14 months without it moving from Detroit). They had to add on the extra $300 because the Jeep we ordered came with the 430N and the 730N was a $300 non-negotiable extra. Then we got a $500 military discount, but then we had to pay their non-negotiable $490 dealer delivery/prep/whatever fee (it came from Denver). So in the end, I believe it was $39,150. I'll find the invoice later so I can quote it perfectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.