Noisy water pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Noisy water pump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Reply
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
shekshishekki
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 263
Noisy water pump

This is more of a FYI in case you get the same problem.

For about a month now, i've noticed this chirping noise coming from the engine when ever I'm idling. While cruising, there's also a faint high pitched sound. Took it in for service the first time and they attributed it to a bad idler pulley bearing. They replaced it and the noise was gone for about a day.

The next day the sound came back but was pretty dim. When the sound came back reliably like before, took it in for service again and this time they said that it was a noisy water pump and of course, the water pump has been on backorder for a month now...

Maybe there's a reason for the water pump being on backorder

btw still <9000 miles on the 2013 overland...Can believe the number of times I've had to take this car in for service already. All minor stuff, but it definitely chips away at the possibility of me ever buying another american car

I love this car...but it's not easy... This may be the first car that I buy EXTRA warranty protection after my extended warranty expires

shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
chips away at the possibility of me ever buying another american car
Funny how most of you WKII guy's are saying that same thing,it's not a bmw or the like.Be glad you didn't buy a Land Rover,it would hardly ever leave the shop.With a VW your check engine light would have poped on by mile 1000,out of all the VW's I've worked on(from '13's and older) 9 out of 10 have the MIL on and many have less then 30k on the ODO.


Oh and almost all your imports now are actually made here in the states so your really never going to get away with "not buying American" much any more.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
shekshishekki
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 263
Lower initial quality...as a first impression (a very important one) for american cars.

I've had a nissan altima, Mazda cx7, and Subaru wrx. If i combined all three car's lifetime service visits, it'd still be less than my 2013 overland and it's still under 9k miles.

I'm sure all cars will have their issues and you could make the same arguments. However, its all about my personal experience.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
Lower initial quality...as a first impression (a very important one) for american cars.

I've had a nissan altima, Mazda cx7, and Subaru wrx. If i combined all three car's lifetime service visits, it'd still be less than my 2013 overland and it's still under 9k miles.

I'm sure all cars will have their issues and you could make the same arguments. However, its all about my personal experience.
To many techno gizmo's,will always be in the shop more.

My $17,000 Jeep has only been to the dealership for 1 recall in 11 years.I use the dealership for coolant and trans flushes but that's it.Never has left me starnded and nothing has broken that was not my fault when offroad or normal wear and tear.No ABS,ESP,heated seats,leather seats,and has manual shifted t-case(always has) so much less to go wrong.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
shekshishekki
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 263
Heh...most of the things are basic car stuff...aside from the QL bug its all basic.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Lima
Registered User
2013 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1
2013 Cherokee Water pump

I too have the Overland and noticed the chirping sound - had it in for oil change 21 pt inspection, recall for brakes, problem with hesitation while going up hill/in cruise, alignment, rotate tires, etc and they didn't say anything was wrong (I forgot to mention this with so many other issues). So, I didn't think much of it but with a 6 hour trip planned I ran it in to my dealership - they cam out heard the noise, popped the hood looked a bit and said my water pump was blown. After checking around they too had an issue getting a water pump but were finally able to locate one - not happy that my 1 year old Overland has blown water pump already. Hope to get it back today.
Lima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 4,371
Seems like the water pump has one of the weak points.
__________________
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6, 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
I too have the Overland and noticed the chirping sound - had it in for oil change 21 pt inspection, recall for brakes, problem with hesitation while going up hill/in cruise, alignment, rotate tires, etc and they didn't say anything was wrong (I forgot to mention this with so many other issues). So, I didn't think much of it but with a 6 hour trip planned I ran it in to my dealership - they cam out heard the noise, popped the hood looked a bit and said my water pump was blown. After checking around they too had an issue getting a water pump but were finally able to locate one - not happy that my 1 year old Overland has blown water pump already. Hope to get it back today.
Ours chirped the first week.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
GreatDaneLvr
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
This is more of a FYI in case you get the same problem.

For about a month now, i've noticed this chirping noise coming from the engine when ever I'm idling. While cruising, there's also a faint high pitched sound. Took it in for service the first time and they attributed it to a bad idler pulley bearing. They replaced it and the noise was gone for about a day.

The next day the sound came back but was pretty dim. When the sound came back reliably like before, took it in for service again and this time they said that it was a noisy water pump and of course, the water pump has been on backorder for a month now...

Maybe there's a reason for the water pump being on backorder

btw still <9000 miles on the 2013 overland...Can believe the number of times I've had to take this car in for service already. All minor stuff, but it definitely chips away at the possibility of me ever buying another american car

I love this car...but it's not easy... This may be the first car that I buy EXTRA warranty protection after my extended warranty expires
Hopefully you don't like anything from Germany or Great Britain. Ive had them all and the grass is most certainly not more green on the other side of the fence.
__________________
2011 JGC Overland Summit Rugged Brown/Saddle OFII 5.7 HEMI
GreatDaneLvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.