No tow/haul mode on 2014 JGC Overland 5.7Hemi ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > No tow/haul mode on 2014 JGC Overland 5.7Hemi ?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

No tow/haul mode on 2014 JGC Overland 5.7Hemi ?

So, I have just taken delivery of my 2014 Overland after trading in the 2011 Overland LEMON I have been dealing with for 2 years. . . .

What I noticed is that there is no tow/haul button in this version. In the past I know they have been left out of the 6 Cyl. But seeing as this has the 5.7L Hemi I was under the distinct impression it should either have the button to at least an option to switch into tow mode somewhere in settings.

There is NO mention of a tow/haul mode button or setting anywhere in the new vehicle documentation. . . . . am I missing something?

0627Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
hemispin
2014 WK 

My 2014 Overland Hemi doesn't have tow/haul mode either. I figured with an 8 speed trans it has enough gears to choose from and it should adapt to the load as needed.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Paddle shifters probably on reason tow haul removed.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

I thought of that. . . . but the 2011 had tiptronic tranny too. . . just no paddle shifters. I have a call into Exec. Relations to get an answer.
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 2011 6 speed had an entirely different transmission (V8 with a tow/haul mode, V6 without) than the 2014 8 speed. I dunno but I suspect the new 8 speed transmission does not have a specific tow/haul mode.
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
eibyer

Being it's a beast to begin with, it's probably in full-time tow mode
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
FlyingDiver
2014 WK 

AFAIK, the only thing the tow/haul mode button does is tell the transmission to use shift points appropriate to heavy loads. I think the newer transmissions are smart enough to figure out you've got a heavy load based on speed/torque/etc, so they can adjust automatically. So the mode button isn't needed any more.
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0627Devildog View Post
I thought of that. . . . but the 2011 had tiptronic tranny too. . . just no paddle shifters. I have a call into Exec. Relations to get an answer.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
TurboRush

The ZF tranny is a self learning/adapting transmission and will adapt to driving style and loads. So when you have a trailer hooked up it automatically realizes that and holds gears longer, etc. - even in Eco mode, no need to even disable that.

It's kind of cool, after you unhook the trailer it will hold gears longer for a few miles before it realizes the load is gone and goes back to shifting normally. Put the trailer back on, realizes its right away and holds gears. Really a great transmission for towing.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
Why are you confused? Something I can clarify?
Unread 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

So I got my response from Chrysler Exec. Relations, who said that the only JGC's equipped with a "Tow/Haul Mode" button are those with Towing packages that have the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) & Front Collision Avoidance (FCA) features in the Advanced Technology Package.

When explaining what it did they advised that the only function is to disable the FCA and ACC features when towing and that it does nothing to effect tranny function as the new 8-Speed Tranny adapts automatically.
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I have read elsewhere, I forget the source, that Jeep recommends tranny sport mode for towing, as it changes the shift points.
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0627Devildog View Post
So I got my response from Chrysler Exec. Relations, who said that the only JGC's equipped with a "Tow/Haul Mode" button are those with Towing packages that have the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) & Front Collision Avoidance (FCA) features in the Advanced Technology Package.

When explaining what it did they advised that the only function is to disable the FCA and ACC features when towing and that it does nothing to effect tranny function as the new 8-Speed Tranny adapts automatically.
Interesting. Their statement must imply exclusion of the SRT. My 2014 has the ZF 8 speed, and it has the tow package plus ACC. It does have a "Tow" mode, which does additional things. (I haven't explicitly tried the ACC while in "Tow" though.)

When I put it into Tow, it changes the front/rear split to 50/50, it fully closes the damper valves in the shocks so they're at their firmest, it noticeably shifts differently, and it seemingly reduces accelerator sensitivity.
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
I have read elsewhere, I forget the source, that Jeep recommends tranny sport mode for towing, as it changes the shift points.

Anyone else here this? Any idea where it was sourced from?
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
Interesting. Their statement must imply exclusion of the SRT. My 2014 has the ZF 8 speed, and it has the tow package plus ACC. It does have a "Tow" mode, which does additional things. (I haven't explicitly tried the ACC while in "Tow" though.)

When I put it into Tow, it changes the front/rear split to 50/50, it fully closes the damper valves in the shocks so they're at their firmest, it noticeably shifts differently, and it seemingly reduces accelerator sensitivity.
Now that has me a bit worried, as it seems to contradict what I was told by Jeep HQ regarding the 8SPD and tow mode functionality. . . . . . Do you have an excerpt or page reference from the user guide by chance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.