No need for past military service for USAA membership...extended warranty deals... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > No need for past military service for USAA membership...extended warranty deals...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 11-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
MINNJeepRider

No need for past military service for USAA membership...extended warranty deals...

So, for fair disclosure, I worked for USAA for several months in 2010. There is a very big misconception regarding the prerequisites for being a member.

1) You DO NOT have to have past military service to join USAA, you actually don't even need to have any affiliation to the military to join

2) USAA is a for-profit, nothing-to-do with the government company

3) You DO need to have a military affilation (self, spouse, parent, etc) in order to qualify for USAA auto insurance and most of USAA's lending products

Now the reason I bring this up here on this thread is two-fold:

1) Their car buying service can sometimes be a great deal and ANYONE can use it! (I just used it to purchase a '11 JGC yesterday, and again, I have nothing to do with the military, nor does anyone in my family)

2) They offer an excellent value for extended warranties! In 2010 they started offering something called Extended Vehicle Protection, when first introduced you had to be financing a vehicle through USAA in order to purchase it, however, that has recently changed. Again, anyone can go to USAA.com, sign-up, and then use the car-buying service and price the Extended Vehicle Protection aka EVP.

Their EVP plan is similar to the one most dealers will try and sell. Because the JGC has a 5yr/100k mile Powertrain Warranty, you really just need a "Wrap Warranty" to cover the non-powertrain systems. This is the same as what the dealer's finance person was trying to sell me yesterday. He offered one by some off-brand carrier, and then another backed by Chrysler. Ultimately he came down to a 5yr/70k for about $900 with $100 deductible....but keep reading below and see why I passed!

Up until recently, USAA was one of about 3 insurance companies that still held a AAA credit rating, I think it is now AA due to the United States being downgraded late summer. My purpose for this is that you want a strong company backing a warranty. Chrysler may be the manufacturer and sound like a good idea for a warranty, but lets not forget the financial troubles they've endured over the past 5 years.

So getting to the point, you can get a 5yr/100k mile wrap warranty that has a $0 deductible, includes roadside assistance, and is fully transferable for $942. No negotiations needed. You buy the whole thing right off the USAA website, or you can call in. There is not a single representative in the company that works on commission, so there will not be any pressure. However, every rep is likely trained to try and have you do a financial review to ultimately discuss life insurance, as that is the cash cow for the company.

Now like every warranty, make sure to read the exclusions, the list is rather short, but still worth reading just like every other contract. You can also cancel at anytime for a pro-rata refund.

I hope this helps others make some informed decisions, as well as save some dough!

MINNJeepRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Might want to get all yoru facts straight and list them also.Anyone can join USAA,that is true but not all there services are available though and really only applies to those in some states.Check out there website it explains it.

To the non-military(or "have anything to do with the military crowd).

Quote:
USAA's investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals.

USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.

All other individuals not eligible for USAA auto insurance may be able to obtain an auto policy through Progressive Insurance by calling 1-888-870-8096.
Notice only 2 states are listed were non-military affiliation crowd can even get there auto insurance due to state laws.
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
MINNJeepRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Might want to get all yoru facts straight and list them also.Anyone can join USAA,that is true but not all there services are available though and really only applies to those in some states.Check out there website it explains it.

To the non-military(or "have anything to do with the military crowd).

Notice only 2 states are listed were non-military affiliation crowd can even get there auto insurance due to state laws.
Thanks for pretty much repeating what I discussed above. Again, the Property and casulty (auto insurance is the most popular product), and their lending products are not available to everyone.

And yes, some states (a very small number), have laws that allow for some exceptions.

What's with people on forums....you try and provide a couple tidbits of useful information for the greater good, and then someone tries to put a bunch of bullet holes in it....do you gave something better to do with your time?
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

He is just grumpy it hasn't snowed in Colorado in a while

Question for you buying using their car buying service. I have gotten my "quotes" online and always stopped just short of contacting the dealerships. Once I do contact the dealerships, what happens next? Are there any fee's on top of what the website lists as the final price aside from tax? ie: Do I need to watch out for the dealership trying to ding me unnecessarily at the end?
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
MINNJeepRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
He is just grumpy it hasn't snowed in Colorado in a while

Question for you buying using their car buying service. I have gotten my "quotes" online and always stopped just short of contacting the dealerships. Once I do contact the dealerships, what happens next? Are there any fee's on top of what the website lists as the final price aside from tax? ie: Do I need to watch out for the dealership trying to ding me unnecessarily at the end?
I had three dealerships contact me in less than 2 hours. They only send it to three dealers.

2 of the 3 sent me an email with a window sticker of a Jeep they had in stock, or could get in stock in about 24 hours, with their selling price, trying to be as close as they could to the vehicle you build on the USAA website. The nice thing was that both dealers were offering a Jeep with an MSRP about $1100 higher than the one I priced out on USAAs website, for actually about $100 less than the price shown on the USAA pricing system.

The 3rd dealer was the one that didn't sent me a price upfront. She said bring me their price and I'll beat it by $500. She also found the vehicle with the higher MSRP and had their runners go pick up the vehicle. Actually took delivery this morning since we had a major storm last night, although car dealerships aren't open on Sundays in MN. The gal I worked with went out of her way to make me happy and also offered anywhere from $1000-$2500 more for my trade.

As far as fee, the only fee you pay is TTL, no USAA fee. USAA gets compensated from the dealer. Each lead the results in a sale ends up costing the dealer a $299 fee, payable to USAA.

Couple this service with the ability to buy a cheap warranty, sold by one of the highest rated insurance companies, and you have a winning formula. The only thing that can make the transaction dirty is a trade-in....there's no such thing as a no-negotiation sale once a trade is involved!
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Thanks, glad to hear it goes so smoothly. I plan on buying one in the next 6 months or so...
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
JoeSchmoe007

Yeah, sure you can purchase extended warranty from USAA. Question is: will your Jeep dealer accept it? Will your independent mechanic accept it?

When I was considering extended warranty for my old ZJ "Warranty Gold" was popular (this company is now out of business). At the time I asked my Jeep dealer and they said they will not accept it because they have to stay on the phone for hours to receive authorization + often reimbursement was too low or took too long to receive. My independent mechanic pretty much told me the same.
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
jb33
2014 WK 

I purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 V8 in Oct. using USAA car buying program and paid $42,000 +TTL
jb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
kevinmandez

I donít know man. Iíve tried my luck with pretty much every big provider out there but theyíve all tried to gyp me within the first couple of years. Out of all these auto insurance companies , only The Hartford has kept my rates low, given me discounts and dealt with claims the way they should.
kevinmandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
MINNJeepRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Yeah, sure you can purchase extended warranty from USAA. Question is: will your Jeep dealer accept it? Will your independent mechanic accept it?

When I was considering extended warranty for my old ZJ "Warranty Gold" was popular (this company is now out of business). At the time I asked my Jeep dealer and they said they will not accept it because they have to stay on the phone for hours to receive authorization + often reimbursement was too low or took too long to receive. My independent mechanic pretty much told me the same.
Lets look at the facts....USAA is actually one of the top-rated insurance companies in the industry, they were one of only 2 or 3 to have a AAA rating until the recent government downgrade from S&P, there realistically can't be a AAA rated company anymore because the highest rated insurance company tend to hold their general account (this is where there reserves are that are used for paying claims) in US Government debt.

So if I was going to purchase an extended warranty, would I rather purchase it from a top-rated company or Chrysler, which was almost out of business a couple years back.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeeps and this is now my 4th Grand Cherokee, but Chyrsler still has some major problems to work out over the long haul when it comes to their long-term financial stability.

For $942, for a 5yr/100k mile contract with zero deductible, plus the fact it is being sold through a top-rated company is reason enough for me to purchase from them rather than the commission driven finance rep at the dealership, especially given he would have been $500-$600 more at his "rock bottom" price for a similar Chrysler (CNA) backed warranty.
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
hammer1234
2011 WK 

FWIW I just checked into service contracts on usaa.com (I've been a member for around 25 years) and I got a screen with the following:

Quote:
Extended Vehicle Protection from Assurant Solutions

We are unable to offer this product at this time.
I'm still on the fence but the best prices I've seen so far are on chryslerwarrantys.com.
hammer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
MINNJeepRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1234 View Post
FWIW I just checked into service contracts on usaa.com (I've been a member for around 25 years) and I got a screen with the following:

I'm still on the fence but the best prices I've seen so far are on chryslerwarrantys.com.
Just checked it out and it is still working for me. Perhaps a technology glitch, or they may have a couple states that they can't offer the product in. I work in the insurance industry and no two states treat any product the same when trying to get state approval for distribution.
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
hammer1234
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNJeepRider View Post
Just checked it out and it is still working for me. Perhaps a technology glitch, or they may have a couple states that they can't offer the product in. I work in the insurance industry and no two states treat any product the same when trying to get state approval for distribution.
Must not offer the warranty in Mass...oh well.
hammer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
DrakeRide55
2011 WK 

Good Info! Thanks MINNJeepRider!!
DrakeRide55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.