No more negotiating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > No more negotiating?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
OldCoot1

No more negotiating?

I've been trying to buy a new Grand Cherokee, but negotiating with local dealers has been surprisingly difficult.

They seem pretty firm on MSRP prices here in WNC. Is it just my timing or location, or is this a nationwide management thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've owned several Jeeps over the years. My first car (way back in 1966) was a '55 Jeep wagon, and I've owned several Cherokees and Grand Cherokees since then.

Thanks,
OC

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

joining treadlightly for 3 years will get you affiliate (1% under invoice) pricing; there is another cheaper option to get affiliate pricing but I forget what it is offhand.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Seems to be a regional thing, but an affiliate thing either through your work or joining a group is typically the least stress way to not negotiate. There is a dealer in Colorado Springs that is selling orders for about $1000 under invoice, if you care to travel out to get it. There are a few others, but don't know of any in the WNC area.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
eibyer

If you don't mind driving your new vehicle back, it might be an option like ColdCase mentioned.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

look for a better dealer....
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
TAWS600

They wanna get rid of the 13's to make room for the new model. They think they can get msrp from you because you don't know any better. Find a different dealer, make them an offer, and hold your ground. I bet you could at least get invoice less rebates. You might even be able to do a bit better. Good luck!
TAWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I glanced around last year for a '12, the dealers were fairly lightly stocked on GC's and Wranglers, only a handful on each lot.

They all told me pretty quick that they were going to be pretty firm on price on what they had. They'd deal on a Liberty/Patriot/Compass, not at all on a Wrangler, and only on some fairly undesirable packages on a Grand Cherokee (2WD V8's they'd deal on, that was about it.)

I feel like that attitude is fairly common when they have more buyers than vehicles. They're going to get a good price for their limited inventory. (I had a similar problem a few years back looking for a Liberty CRD. Noone had more than 2, and while they'd cut you a deal on a gasser, you were gonna pay for the Diesel. I did ok on that... but it took a while.)
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Kev M
2012 WK 

When we bought last summer (and from observation noting the full lots of dealers around here, they are flush with vehicles), they negotiated even over email in the Philly suburbs.

Shouldn't be a problem getting something off a new GC - do some web searches and make some phone calls.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
azjeepjeep

find another dealer. Check into credit union car buying services. As other said, there is no reason they should not negotiate.
azjeepjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Oh, in case you choose to order out of town and pick up there, your local dealer would be happy serviced your vehicle. Typically sales and service are independent and a customer is a customer.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

I went to one of those sites that tell you the true car value, printed off the read-out, and brought it to my dealer in Denver to show them what I think I should pay. If a salesman sees that you brought some research with you then they tend to BS you less since they know it won't work. Tread Lightly membership is a good option too, as discussed, if your dealer participates.
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
boyvan
2012 WK 

Shop at more than one dealer and tell them they are competing against others as well and the lowest price will get your business - from my experience getting the lowest price is not always the best thing. Dealer might lower the price but they are in business to make money so they will get you somewhere else - documentation fee, etc. What I found was that the dealer will be more willing to work on a deal on other things such as free oil changes, etc.

When I walked in the dealerships....I knew enough about what I wanted to buy that I could have taught the salesperson a thing or two. But I let him lead me.....I let him think that he is in control. If you walk in and tell them that you are Mr. Know it all and you want this price, etc then chances are you will get the same attitude. Let the dealer play their game but be patient. People will generally go out of their way to help someone if they can when they like someone. Of course you have to make sure that dealer knows that you also know a thing of two so he doesn't take advantage of you.

Once I had the best possible price and most dealers were close the bottom one was $600 lower but I went with the second lowest. I figured if I go with the lowest quote dealer then I constantly will have to read every fine print. So I went with the second lowest and I told them that even though you couldn't match the price I am still going with you because I liked their work ethic....blah blah. So the dealer was pumped up and threw in few things that would have cost me close to $700. At the end of the day I was sitting in the GM's office and he said that if there is a problem to call him. I also got two free fill-ups, no documentation fee and going golfing with him in the summer....I don't like golf but hey he doesn't know that. I am sure playing one day golf with him will pay itself off in the future.
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
boyvan
2012 WK 

Wk

I have seen many posts on these forums that compare each other's prices and some even say they were able to get below cost, etc.

That may be true but as an Accountant I have yet to see a company who is still in business that is selling their products below cost. Every company is in business to make money - simple as that. Some dealers will let you believe that the price you are getting is below their cost - really? They are obviously making money somehow on your deal. As they say....if it looks too good to be true....well....look harder....there is a catch

By the way when you are negotiating....talk less and listen more.
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

boyvan, there is "cost" and there is "COST"...the car business is crazy. At certain times, dealers actually make more per car selling them at or below "cost" because of additional incentives that the manufacturers offer if they sell at least x number of vehicles. That lowers "COST" well below what the actual selling price was and induces good profit for the month/quarter. If you time things right, you can get a heck of a deal and so does the dealer. (This is in the US...things apparently work a little different north of the US border for dealers)
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
boyvan, there is "cost" and there is "COST"...the car business is crazy. At certain times, dealers actually make more per car selling them at or below "cost" because of additional incentives that the manufacturers offer if they sell at least x number of vehicles. That lowers "COST" well below what the actual selling price was and induces good profit for the month/quarter. If you time things right, you can get a heck of a deal and so does the dealer. (This is in the US...things apparently work a little different north of the US border for dealers)
I agree with you Sir! But was confused with cost and COST.

Anyways....yes I am sure things are probably different between the two countries.

I think what you are referring to is "true or real" cost. That will potentially go down depending on the incentive the dealers get for selling more. Hence my point since their real cost is down they are willing to sell you for less (without going under). But the dealer (or any other business) will still not go below their "real"cost - that is pay out of their pocket.

I had to scroll up to remind me why are we arguing about this....lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.