No heat on passenger side - blend door gears - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > No heat on passenger side - blend door gears

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriejeepguy View Post
Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Jeep Cares weigh in on this blend door actuator issue that seems to be becoming prevalent.

1) you could confirm that there is an infant mortality problem with these blend door actuators like there was on the previous WK.

2) you could clear the confusion and tell us if it's the $2 plastic gear or the $35 electric actuator that normally strips out and fails.

3) you could help us from getting ripped off by the dealer by describing if the repair is feasible through the glove box (as above) or if the dash needs removed (the story my dealer told me) and if an owner who is mechanical can do it.

4) you could tell us if there are any other weaknesses in the HVAC like the distribution box or the heater core my dealer replaced saying it was "clogged".
1,2, 4 - I can't confirm (or deny) any of these. Probably because I am not a technician or an engineer. I don't have access to any data as to how many (what percentage) of vehicles have this problem.

3- I would suspect the dealer follows the repair procedure in the service manual. Chrysler only pays the dealer to do warranty work. It is in Chrysler's best interest to come up with the easiest (shortest or cheapest) repair that actually works to fix the problem.

It sounds like drewbreezy's repair worked for him. I would assume he's somewhat mechanical (I'm not), but I don't know for sure. If you're out of warranty, you do not have to go to the dealer for repair.

NOTE: SEE COLDCASE'S POST NUMBER FIVE (#5) ABOVE for information taken from the Factory Service Manual.

Unread 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
kkreit01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Just out of curiosity - why wait until next fall?
It's probably not cold enough to replicate now. The dealer will say it's "working fine". I hope to not need the heat until next Fall. My B2B warranty is up next Dec.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
JeepCares

I can understand that. I'm not sure if the air conditioning will be affected or not. Most people don't have air conditioning pointed at the floor.
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

I have found that on my 2014 GC limited, heater system is a little funky to operate in manual mode, so I've been just letting it stay set on automatic and seems to work o.k. at least for now.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
rhonsinger
2011 WK 

I too have a broken passenger side blend door gear. I'm grateful that I came across this thread, not sure replacing it will solve all my Jeep's HVAC problems, but if it does it will be much cheaper than the $1,000 plus estimate from the dealer.

My question is about the first diagram on this thread and the actuator indicated with the red arrow. Can anyone tell me what this does? While investigating the broken gear I found that I am missing it completely, the wiring connector is there but no actuator at all. It seems it would open and close a curved cover above the recirculating blower.

I am trying to troubleshoot an intermittent blower problem on my 2011 G.C. Overland. Sometimes the blower responds to the control knob, but sometimes nothing. Then I'll be sitting at a light and everything will kick on full blast. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rhonsinger; 03-14-2014 at 11:18 PM..
rhonsinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The red arrow points toward the Recirculation door actuator.
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #22
juvi925
2011 WK 

my problem is very similar to this but its the drivers side that only blows cold air. i took apart trim under the steering wheel to peek at the actuator and if i disconnect the hvac control unit and reconnect it, it definitely still moves and may even work for a few days but when it moves to the hot side it seems to try and keep going then it just resets over and over until it decides to stop and stay put on the cold side. so im gonna rule out the actuator since it moves, and i also think the door itself is good because when its moving the air is changing temperatures. i think i may have the same problem with the $2 plastic gear thing but how can i remove it on the drivers side cuz its seriously tight in there and im trying to avoid removing the entire dash. any help would be greatly appreciated guys. the only temporary repair im using for now is to just disconnect the hvac control and leave it at about 70% towards the heat side and kinda hope it stays for a couple days.

im new to forums but drewbreezy if you see this since you seem to be mechnicially good can you tell me if you think this would work on the drivers side? and are the screws torx? or allens? thanks in advance
juvi925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #23
stearn786

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvi925 View Post
my problem is very similar to this but its the drivers side that only blows cold air. i took apart trim under the steering wheel to peek at the actuator and if i disconnect the hvac control unit and reconnect it, it definitely still moves and may even work for a few days but when it moves to the hot side it seems to try and keep going then it just resets over and over until it decides to stop and stay put on the cold side. so im gonna rule out the actuator since it moves, and i also think the door itself is good because when its moving the air is changing temperatures. i think i may have the same problem with the $2 plastic gear thing but how can i remove it on the drivers side cuz its seriously tight in there and im trying to avoid removing the entire dash. any help would be greatly appreciated guys. the only temporary repair im using for now is to just disconnect the hvac control and leave it at about 70% towards the heat side and kinda hope it stays for a couple days.

im new to forums but drewbreezy if you see this since you seem to be mechnicially good can you tell me if you think this would work on the drivers side? and are the screws torx? or allens? thanks in advance
If I get a minute later at work I'll take a peek under the dash in a WK and let you know what I think. I've haven't done a driver side gear yet so I can't say off the top of my head. Passenger side actuator screws are T20 torx, I do know that.
stearn786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
juvi925
2011 WK 

i finally decided to try and fix my issue so i ordered the gear and took pics of how it went in case it can be of any help to anyone out there. im not sure how to embed the pics so ill just describe and you can scroll down to check the pic. i took off the panels under the steering column, the center console, and the side by the drivers side in order to see the actuator which controls the temperature for the drivers side and as you can see in the picture i provided, the screw i circled in blue is pretty easy to access with a t20 bit, the screw circled in red was an absolute nightmare because there is no way to get any tool slim enough to remove it. luckily i work in a shop so i cut a t20 bit in half and used a small 1/4 wrench to turn it as you can see in the pics. finally the actuator came out and the gear sits between the actuator and blend door. unfortunately i did all that for nothing because my gear was fine but i did notice it was different from the one i just ordered at the dealer and circled the picture so u can see what i mean. i decided to test the actuator a bit more though and suspected it may be the faulty part even though it moves and kinda works. well since i already had it all apart i actually took apart the actuator and determined it was definitely busted because it seemed to be skipping gears and when i took it apart i noticed the gears were all worn down and missing chunks. anyways as of right now my truck is still sitting there all apart while i wait for the new actuator to arrive and im pretty sure thats gonna fix the problem. oh and just to verify that door is not the problem you can move it by hand once the gear and actuator is out and lucky for me it seems to be fine because i can get full heat and full cool when i turn it to both ends. hopefully this helps anyone who gets this issue and doesnt want to pay thousands to have the dealer supposedly remove the dash...
photo-mar-31-5-37-30-pm.jpg

photo-mar-31-6-19-17-pm.jpg

photo-mar-31-6-19-51-pm.jpg

photo-mar-31-6-25-05-pm.jpg

photo-mar-31-6-25-17-pm.jpg

photo-mar-31-7-44-22-pm.jpg

photo-mar-31-7-45-20-pm.jpg

juvi925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks for the update
Unread 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #26
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for pointing me toward this ColdCase.

I'll try to document the process a bit, once my $2 part comes in the mail.

JeepCares, any chance of this becoming a Service Bulletin?
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
JeepCares, any chance of this becoming a Service Bulletin?
I doubt it as there is already a STAR case that gives information to the technician on diagnosing a concern of "Drivers Side Or Passenger Side HVAC Temperature Will Not Change And/Or Blower Speed Changes Without Customer Input." It's up to the technician to diagnose it.

Note #4 on the parts illustration I have. 4 - GEAR,Actuator
capture.jpg

Unread 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #28
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Note #4 on the parts illustration I have. 4 - GEAR,Actuator
Thanks for the reply.
Can't see though, your pic is too small.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
JeepCares

This is a little better-
capture.jpg

Unread 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #30
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvi925 View Post
i finally decided to try and fix my issue so i ordered the gear and took pics of how it went in case it can be of any help to anyone out there. im not sure how to embed the pics so ill just describe and you can scroll down to check the pic. i took off the panels under the steering column, the center console, and the side by the drivers side in order to see the actuator which controls the temperature for the drivers side and as you can see in the picture i provided, the screw i circled in blue is pretty easy to access with a t20 bit, the screw circled in red was an absolute nightmare because there is no way to get any tool slim enough to remove it. luckily i work in a shop so i cut a t20 bit in half and used a small 1/4 wrench to turn it as you can see in the pics. finally the actuator came out and the gear sits between the actuator and blend door. unfortunately i did all that for nothing because my gear was fine but i did notice it was different from the one i just ordered at the dealer and circled the picture so u can see what i mean. i decided to test the actuator a bit more though and suspected it may be the faulty part even though it moves and kinda works. well since i already had it all apart i actually took apart the actuator and determined it was definitely busted because it seemed to be skipping gears and when i took it apart i noticed the gears were all worn down and missing chunks. anyways as of right now my truck is still sitting there all apart while i wait for the new actuator to arrive and im pretty sure thats gonna fix the problem. oh and just to verify that door is not the problem you can move it by hand once the gear and actuator is out and lucky for me it seems to be fine because i can get full heat and full cool when i turn it to both ends. hopefully this helps anyone who gets this issue and doesnt want to pay thousands to have the dealer supposedly remove the dash...

Nice pics juvi....thanks.
Is it any wonder why these parts fail? Sad.....
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.