No heat on passenger side - blend door gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > No heat on passenger side - blend door gears

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 03-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
drewbreezy
2011 WK 

No heat on passenger side - blend door gears

I've got a 2011 Grand Cherokee, just yesterday heat stopped blowing out of the passenger side vents while heat still came out of the drivers side.

I'm suspecting its the actuator (hopefully), does anyone know how to access or where to access this part in these Jeeps? I really would rather not have to take it to the dealer for an $18 part.

See attachment, looks like its near the cabin filter, is this even the right one for the passenger side?

Thanks in advance.

3-5-2014-8-27-15-am.jpg

drewbreezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been numerous posts about blend door gears stripping, or other blend door problems. One last week I think. Perhaps search for blend door while you wait for someone to respond with something useful.
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
drewbreezy
2011 WK 

Thank you, unfortunately I was unable to find what I was looking for.
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
drewbreezy
2011 WK 

Well I'm just going to dive into this tomorrow, I bought an actuator from the local auto parts store, going to go in through the glove box and replace the one that is actually on the passenger side of the main unit (No. 3 in the above diagram, disregard the one with the arrow pointing to it). No clue how I'm going to re-calibrate, probably just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so and pull the IOD fuse and hope for the best. I'll follow up with the results and take some pictures for future reference.
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think its usually the cam gears that break/strip but it could be the splines, I dunno. If its the cam gears I think you replace the entire housing (#17). I think the AC recallibrates the actuator about 5 minutes after the power is turned off. The passenger side actuator is #7 in the last figure below. These are the service manual words (and figures):

DESCRIPTION

The blend door actuators (1) are reversible, 12 volt direct current (DC), servo motors. Both dual zone heating-A/C systems use two blend-air doors, which are controlled by two blend door actuators.

The driver side blend door actuator is located on the driver side end of the HVAC air distribution housing and is mechanically connected to the driver side blend-air door. The passenger side blend door actuator is located on the passenger side of the air distribution housing and is mechanically connected to the passenger side blend-air door.

The blend door actuators are interchangeable with each other, as well as with the actuators for the mode-air doors and the recirculation-air door. Each actuator is contained within an identical black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (2). Each actuator has an identical output shaft with splines (3) that connect it to its respective door linkage, and three integral mounting tabs (4) that allow the actuator to be secured to the air distribution housing. The blend door actuators require mechanical indexing to the blend-air door cams and are electronically calibrated by the A/C-heater control.

OPERATION

The blend door actuators are connected to the A/C-heater control through the vehicle electrical system by a dedicated two-wire lead and connector of the HVAC wire harness. The blend door actuator(s) can move the blend-air door(s) in two directions. When the A/C-heater control pulls the voltage on one side of the motor connection high and the other connection low, the blend-air door will move in one direction. When the A/C-heater control reverses the polarity of the voltage to the motor, the blend-air door moves in the opposite direction.

When the A/C-heater control makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the blend-air door(s) stops and will not move. The A/C-heater control uses a pulse-count positioning system to monitor the operation and relative position of the blend door actuators and the blend-air doors. The A/C-heater control learns the blend-air doors stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the blend door actuator circuits.

The blend door actuator(s) is diagnosed using a scan tool (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Diagnosis and Testing) .

The blend door actuator(s) cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if inoperative or damaged.

RIGHT SIDE REMOVAL

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Remove the right side instrument panel silencer.

3.On LHD models, remove the glove box and glove box closeout (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel - Removal) .

4.Remove the right side floor distribution duct from the HVAC air distribution housing (4) (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Distribution/DUCT, Floor Distribution - Removal) .

5.Remove the two screws (1) that secure the blend door actuator (3) to the right side of the air distribution housing.

6.Remove the blend door actuator from the air distribution housing.

7.Disconnect the wire harness connector (2) from the blend door actuator and remove the actuator from the vehicle.

RIGHT SIDE INSTALL

1.Position the blend door actuator (1) into the vehicle.

2.Install the blend door actuator onto the right side of the HVAC air distribution housing (4). If necessary, rotate the actuator slightly to align the splines on the actuator output shaft (2) with those on the blend door drive gear (3).

3.Install the two screws (1) that secure the blend door actuator (3) to the right side of the HVAC air distribution housing (4). Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.).

4.Connect the wire harness connector (2) to the blend door actuator.

5.Install the right side floor distribution duct (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Distribution/DUCT, Floor Distribution - Installation) .

6.On LHD models, install the glove box closeout and the glove box (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel - Installation) .

7.Install the right side instrument panel silencer.

8.Reconnect the negative battery cable.

9.Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a scan tool (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .
actuator.jpg  
motor.jpg

location.jpg

Unread 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Chris9674T
2011 WK 

I had the same exact problem with my 2011 last year. The distribution box (#17 in your diagram) had to be replaced. Part number for mine was 68079501AB.

Thankfully I was still under warranty at the time!
Chris9674T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
drewbreezy
2011 WK 

ColdCase thank you, great information, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I sure hope it's not #17 that needs replacing, did they give you cost workout for that? I'm out of warranty.
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Chris9674T
2011 WK 

I believe the dealer said it would have been about $1000...hope your problem is simpler!!!
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
drewbreezy
2011 WK 

So it was the blend door drive gear (#3 in the above pictures)...please tell me someone knows where to I can buy this part. Never mind, I found it for anyone who encounters the same problem, hot or cold from the diver side or passenger side this is most likely your culprit, $2 bucks from Mopar direct, I ordered 3 because I'm sure if one failed the others will do the same sometime down the line. Thank you ColdCase you were a huge help. http://www.mopar.com/part/68214880AA...2356236&b=jeep
photo.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Last edited by drewbreezy; 03-07-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Great to know, the 2011 manual says there are no repairable parts within the housing, but this will save some of us big $$$ one day.

Oh, if you can't find them locally, forum sponsor http://moparonlineparts.com is selling these for $1.38 plus shipping.

Any tips for replacing these, or is it straight forward?
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Chris9674T
2011 WK 

Nice!!
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
drewbreezy
2011 WK 

Just as an update: I got the part at a local dealer for two bucks.

1. Disassembled the glove box to get to the passenger side actuator and removed it and the broken splined gear piece.
2. I lined up the blend door gears with the new plastic gear placed on the actuator spline so that the blend doors and controls where in full heat setting.
3. Screwed in the two screws, turned on the car, it made a few rotations back and forth and started spewing hot air. Turned the control knob to cold and cold air.
4. Put everything back together (don't forget the glove box light connection).

Total time was about 1 hour minus the research and cost was $2. Hope this helps and saves a ton of money for anyone who may encounter this issue in the future.
Unread 03-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
kkreit01

I may have this problem, but unsure? The driver's side does not heat on the floor very well. If we manually set to floor-only, there is quite a bit of heat coming from the driver's vent furthest to the left. The driver's legs are too cold, but we can feel some heat. We can close the side vent, but it doesn't help the floor situation. I'll probably take it in next Fall -- before our B2B warranty is up.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
I may have this problem, but unsure? The driver's side does not heat on the floor very well. If we manually set to floor-only, there is quite a bit of heat coming from the driver's vent furthest to the left. The driver's legs are too cold, but we can feel some heat. We can close the side vent, but it doesn't help the floor situation. I'll probably take it in next Fall -- before our B2B warranty is up.
Just out of curiosity - why wait until next fall?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
eriejeepguy
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Just out of curiosity - why wait until next fall?
Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Jeep Cares weigh in on this blend door actuator issue that seems to be becoming prevalent.

1) you could confirm that there is an infant mortality problem with these blend door actuators like there was on the previous WK.

2) you could clear the confusion and tell us if it's the $2 plastic gear or the $35 electric actuator that normally strips out and fails.

3) you could help us from getting ripped off by the dealer by describing if the repair is feasible through the glove box (as above) or if the dash needs removed (the story my dealer told me) and if an owner who is mechanical can do it.

4) you could tell us if there are any other weaknesses in the HVAC like the distribution box or the heater core my dealer replaced saying it was "clogged".
eriejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.