Newbie: transmission questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Newbie: transmission questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Denisk6106

Newbie: transmission questions

First post, Cheers to all, lots of useful info here.
I am looking to buy a Limited or an Overland in Maryland, just test drove a couple, nice trucks!
I may be missing something though (forgive if it was beaten to death): how do I keep transmission on 1, 2nd or 3rd gear, in case there is a need? On my old truck, heck, on most cars with A/T there is an option to go lower than just "D", and keep it there. What am i missing?

Second question: do any of these trucks come with mechanical diff lock(s)? What package do I look for, or, is this all assigned to electronic nannies now?
Third: is my understanding correct that the Overland's primary difference from limited that it rides on AIR? Is the durability of those air springs known yet?
Many thanks in advance from a newbie! The '11 Limited I was looking at had 23K, nav, cam, and remote start, offered at 35K with certified extended warranty (have to yet understand what that entails exactly )

Denisk6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
peckmv

The shifter has an auto shift feature that allows you to select any gear from 1 to 6 (Hemi only). The 6 cyl is 1 to 5. Whatever gear you select is the highest gear that it will go to. If you get the tow package you get a tow/haul mode switch which locks out the overdrive gears and the MDS system on the Hemi. The air ride is sweet and I have had no problems but some others have. Its like any other mechanical system which could have issues or not. I have a place in western Maryland that has a seldom plowed road so the air ride is nice to lift the JGC so I don't bottom out. I also got the Off road Adventure package which gives you the Limited slip rear diff. The system is called Quadradrive II. Good luck with your choice.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

I love the 8 speed in my 14. Works perfectly and is fun to drive. I romp on it on an on ramp everyday on my commute to work and hit shifts clean, crisp and smooth everytime.
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They changed transmissions in 2014, you are looking at an earlier model? The V8 and V6 have different transmissions.

The 2011-2013 V8s had a so called multispeed, it will hold a gear to red line but you really don't know for sure which gear its using as 3 indicated doesn't necessarily mean 3rd gear. There are 1, 2, 2', 3, OD1 and OD2 ratios plus a lockup torque converter. The V6 mercedes transmission is more traditional.

The ELSD will lock the rear diff, but only by traction control computer. It does this by tightening up the clutches such that there is no slip. There is no manual locking. You need to look for a V8 or Diesel and then Quadra Drive (displays on the evic when you start it up). Depending on year and month (they switch availability often), look for a V8 with the Overland or ORA 2 option package, but you may find early 2011s with the ELSD. All V8 Summits have ELSD QD standard.

There is no locks for the front dif, and no one makes them.

The air suspension is made by an outfit that has been doing it for decades, seems to be pretty durable. Issues are usually slow leaks on a few.

The Overland comes standard with quite a few options that were extra cost on the limited. A 2011 or 2012 Overland cost less than a limited with similar options. Those that wanted steel springs went with the Limited.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.