New York Auto Show: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New York Auto Show: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

They can take that 6.4 and put it in the Limited..

smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
Snipe315
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
You also can't have the best of both worlds. You can't climb mountains and move at the speed of light.
Not true at all!!!

The Porsche Cayenne manages to do it!!!

If Jeep had wanted to make the SRT8 off road capable, they could have. Yes, it would cost a lot more, but there is no free lunch.

Just saying that a vehicle that performs great on road can't also be good off road is not true.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/poll-wk2-owners-ql-1154625/
Snipe315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
poomobile
2011 WK 

Meh. Back looks ok. Last gen srt-8 was really cool looking compared to the "regular" models. I think I prefer the "regular" models this time around.
poomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I'm glad I decided to swing back through. I'm sorry, but, most AWD vehicle can perform the functions that you have pictured above. But you are right at 100k+ ... that thing is definitely no free lunch.

Both of the vehicles are very fast... thats what they are purchased for. But, neither are MASTERS of off-road capability. But your definition of off-road may very well be different from mine.

I was impressed with it's locking differential ability though - so kudos there. If i wanted something a little fast, and excellent offroader, i'd just get an overland with a catback, superchip, cai, and dump some weight.
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcginnis87 View Post
They can take that 6.4 and put it in the Limited..
Did you see the engine bay? That 6.4 is STUFFED in there, lol - it's actually pretty funny.
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

Just waiting for the Kenn Bell supercharger kit for the Overland 5.7. 500 plus hp can cover up a lot of shortcomings.....
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #22
volvite
1999 WJ 

6.4 for the limited would be great.
volvite is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #23
Marcus86GLHS

the one aspect i do see that needs to be adopted by the regular WK2's is the abscence of that cheezy ugly unpainted black plastic that goes all the way around the bottom of the WK2. this SRT8 doesnt have any of that. now Jeep needs to make that change applicable to the Laredo, Limited and Overland.

this new SRT8 confirms what i have been thinking since I first saw the 2011 GC: the WK is overall a much better looking vehicle on the exterior than the WK2.......the WK2 does get First Prize though for the interior design.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #24
volvite
1999 WJ 

I agree with the black plastic needing to be removed, but the WK2 in my mind is better looking than the WK.
volvite is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #25
table
2000 WJ 

Nice color. Looking at it from the side there's no mistaking the SRT8 WK heritage.

Not sure about front LEDs on the Jeep name yet. Rear LEDs would be nice, but those front LEDs scream Audi Q7. I'm tempted to Photoshop them out and put the fog lights where they are on the regular WK2. Wonder if there's a functional vent for the brakes in that spot. Overall I think it's a step in the right direction for an SRT8 Grand. I never liked the front of the WK - it's the headlights...if they'd have just squared them off!

Best thing - the 6.4L HEMI; worst thing - the wheels, especially when looked at from an angle.
Unread 04-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
mjw930

I love the SRT8 and it would be in my driveway today if it would have been delivered 6 months ago. I'm not one of the offroad type, I could care less. But I am someone who needs the utility of capable SUV but wants as much performance as I can get. I have owned a Cayenne twin turbo, a Trailblazer SS and 2 F-150 Lightnings over the last decade. The ONLY reason I never owned the previous SRT8 was it's lack of towing capability. This new SRT8 fills that gap and I'll most certainly have one in the driveway once the initial madness subsides and I can deal on one.

Oh, and I don't think the external dimensions of the 6.4L differ from the 5.7L so it's no more stuffed into the engine compartment than the existing 5.7L.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #27
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
I love the SRT8 and it would be in my driveway today if it would have been delivered 6 months ago. I'm not one of the offroad type, I could care less. But I am someone who needs the utility of capable SUV but wants as much performance as I can get. I have owned a Cayenne twin turbo, a Trailblazer SS and 2 F-150 Lightnings over the last decade. The ONLY reason I never owned the previous SRT8 was it's lack of towing capability. This new SRT8 fills that gap and I'll most certainly have one in the driveway once the initial madness subsides and I can deal on one.

Oh, and I don't think the external dimensions of the 6.4L differ from the 5.7L so it's no more stuffed into the engine compartment than the existing 5.7L.
It may not be more 'stuffed' because the engine bay is slightly wider for the new Grand. But just for an FYI. The 5.7L is at 345 cu in. The 6.4L is at 392 cu in.
Unread 04-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
It may not be more 'stuffed' because the engine bay is slightly wider for the new Grand. But just for an FYI. The 5.7L is at 345 cu in. The 6.4L is at 392 cu in.
Should be the same block with a different bore/stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
I agree with the black plastic needing to be removed, but the WK2 in my mind is better looking than the WK.
I think the black plastic cladding is what makes the Overland look better than an SRT-8. The painted cladding just makes the panels look bulky, making them a painted smooth black might look nice. There just isn't enough contrast between all that red. A whole black one may look a lot better too with some 22s. Other than the 6.4L I don't like the new srt8, I'd buy an older one any day over this one.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #29
JeremiahB

I am actually thinking of painting my black plastic pieces silver to match the rest of the rig. If I can get this done inexpensively, I will do it soon as it should change the entire look of the vehicle.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Another nice thing about the plastic wheel arches being unpainted is that when you hit something it isn't as noticeable, or as expensive to get replaced. Like for instance, my dad already bumped into a basketball hoop and scrapped the passenger side plastic a little but since there's no paint on it, it hardly noticeable and all I need to do is replace that fender flare which is a bolt on.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.