New WK2 JGC, off-roading, and on-going engine "fun" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New WK2 JGC, off-roading, and on-going engine "fun"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
ShinobiDave
2012 WK 

New WK2 JGC, off-roading, and on-going engine "fun"

Hey all -

I'm new to the community and proudly enjoying my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (4x4 3.6L) and have had the chance to off-road it in Death Valley Park and Red Rock Canyon. Very happy with the purchase and I have over 27k miles on the Jeep, having owned it for a little over a year now. Overall its been a great vehicle so far, though I have been having some ongoing engine issues.

The highlights:
  • At around 20k miles, I started experiencing intermittent engine starts. i.e. I start the Jeep, it attempts to turn over, but shuts off. Wait a minute or two, push-to-start again, attempts to turn over for about 10 seconds, then cuts out. It usually does this cold and I can resolve by giving it a little gas after trying to start. OR remote starting it. However, malfunction indicator light (MIL) comes on and stays on (which you can't remote start it).
  • -Took it to Jeep, they flashed the ECU with whatever the latest upgrade was, hoping that would solve the issue. No joy, still intermittent starts. MIL light comes back on, so no remote start.
  • Took it back to Jeep dealership, they replaced a fuel purge solenoid. Still intermittent starts, MIL comes back on.
  • Took it back to Jeep, they get an error code for #6 cylinder misfire. They order and replace cylinder head and valve (RL141353-AC).
  • I literally go to pick it up at the dealership and it doesn't start the when I pick it up... So still having intermittent start and now I also have a coolant leak. There is coolant fluid sprayed on the bottom of my engine and getting a little puddle on the floor of my garage after having it for 2 days. Back to the dealership this week...

Everything is still covered under the warranty, so I'm going to keep bring it back for them to work on. I would think the issue has something to do with the fuel pump / fuel delivery system, but their going off of the codes and their list of fixes. Otherwise the jeep has been great and the dealership has been helpful trying to chase down the issues...

Anyway, attempting to attach a picture from my trip at Death Valley, hope you enjoy.

-Dave

dsc_5613_4_5_tonemapped.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
ShinobiDave
2012 WK 

Update: Coolant leak was just a broken hose clamp. Computer had no further error codes for the intermittent start issue, so no change on that. Otherwise been running fine since the cylinder head change.
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
chdavis
2012 WK 

You're well into the stipulations of most states' Lemon Laws. I'm not familiar with CA law, but I'd imagine it's pretty consumer friendly.
chdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

That photo is awesome!
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
ShinobiDave
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA
That photo is awesome!
Thanks Jim. Someone mentioned I should try to submit it and a couple others I have to Jeep but I'm probably way outclassed with their pro photographers.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiDave View Post
Thanks Jim. Someone mentioned I should try to submit it and a couple others I have to Jeep but I'm probably way outclassed with their pro photographers.
Maybe you're just being modest, but I wouldn't be so sure about being outclassed. Pro or not, that's a great picture!
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
ShinobiDave
2012 WK 

Visited the dealership earlier in the week and the Jeep did the intermittent start for them as well. (So I'm not crazy...) Anyway, another code popped which said the key fob was loosing communication with the receiver / switch and they predict that is what was causing the Jeep to cut out after the Start button was pushed and vehicle attempted to turn-over.

Codes:
PCM-CODE P0513-STORED INVALID SKIM KEY. WCM CODE B1A28 STORED ECM MISMATCH WITH SKIM.

Replaced the key fob and switch:
56046736-AD FOB ITEG 8059057
1FU931X9-AC SWITCH IG 8053059

All covered under warranty.

Been running all week without having the intermittent starts, which is better than what it was doing before. So after ECM flash, purge solenoid, cylinder head, key fob & switch/receiver, hopefully the problem has been solved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdavis View Post
You're well into the stipulations of most states' Lemon Laws. I'm not familiar with CA law, but I'd imagine it's pretty consumer friendly.
Thanks for the thought, I didn't even think of that but I may look into it. My initial take is that because it hasn't made the car completely inoperable or a safety concern, plus being over 28k miles now, the juice may not be worth the squeeze.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Iamnid
2011 WK 

Good luck with that. Mine is in the shop again for the fourth time since November with intermittent starts... Just cranks forever and never starts. Every time they get it running again and claim to have found the problem, but it pops up again a few weeks later. Lemon laws are a ***** in California. I've started a case but am not very hopeful after talking to a few lemon law attorneys. Last jeep ever.
Iamnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
ShinobiDave
2012 WK 

To follow up on my original post...

I think we finally replaced enough things on the Jeep to solve this intermittent start problem. The dealer replaced the WIN-Module and key fobs and seems to be starting fine after a few weeks. The part numbers and description:

68105738-AD MODULE WI 8035031
56046736-AE FOB INTEG 8059057

They've had other Jeeps (WK2) coming in more and more with this problem and replacing the WIN Module seems to have solved the issue. But I've been down this road before...

-Dave
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #10
Jerseymark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post

Maybe you're just being modest, but I wouldn't be so sure about being outclassed. Pro or not, that's a great picture!
X2 that picture could be used in one of the jeep booklets or on the website.
BTW good luck with the engine problems. Hopefully they got it fixed now.
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
JetBlast
2014 WK 

That is definitely an awesome picture. I actually thought it was a booklet cover.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
ShinobiDave
2012 WK 

Follow-up, several months later... The win module replacement seems to have corrected the intermittent start problem. The JGC has been running great (and starting just fine) ever since. Up to 39k miles on my '12!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.