New TIPM - status update. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New TIPM - status update.

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough**Flash Weekend Sale** Rockridge4wd.com Only!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Kitra
2011 WK 

New TIPM - status update.

We just thought we'd write regarding our new TIPM. It's been several months + since our TIPM was replaced. The moral of the story is apparently the many issues with the vehicle were indeed caused by the TIPM. Here's what we had observed prior to the TIPM replacement: Intermittent no start condition, intermittent stalling, intermittently all the indicators would illuminate on the EVIC and cycle through menus. Climate control would freeze up (buttons). Driver's side window had a mind of its own. Power door locks would lock but not always unlock. Intermittent "audible alerts" that we could never determine what they were for. Horn intermittent. Dealer could never find a CEL or cause of these issues. With persistence and Dealer hopping, we convinced one Dealer to replace the TIPM. Actually, the Horn quit for the Dealer which was isolated to a TIPM issue. Since the new TIPM, nothing has acted up - knock on wood. 2011 GC Summit. Just wondering how many issues with these vehicles are really cause by the TIPM?

Kitra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Was yours replaced as part of the recall? Did the replace the whole thing or just do the fuel pump relay?
BigPheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Kitra
2011 WK 

Hello, we got the whole TIPM assembly replaced. This was not part of the recall, in fact, I think we dodged a bullet as they weren't handing out TIPM's (understatement). While on our way to the Dealership to complain again about our hanger-queen Jeep again, we noticed the horn wasn't working. We told the Service Manager about the horn and refused to turn off the vehicle as we wanted the failure to stay for the technician. They plugged in some equipment and said a signal for the horn was arriving at the TIPM but not exiting. So that was how we got a TIPM - finally. Honestly, it was like getting a new vehicle. The gremlins have left......
Unread 01-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Good to hear. I haven't had any issues with my TIPM but it sounds like if you do its really bad. Glad yours is replaced and fixed. Was it covered under warranty? Heard they are pretty expensive. Did they put in a new fuel pump relay to avoid the no start issue if the TIPM goes bad again? Just curious since that is basically what they did to my TIPM that was functioning fine.
BigPheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
Kitra
2011 WK 

We do not have the fuel pump relay. We wondered if it should be added but do know how to hot-wire the fuel-pump to get us home if it should act up again someday. Since the TIPM is in a pretty hostile environment, I've been thinking of building a cooling device for the TIPM. Maybe a Peltier Thermo-electric cooler would to the job? Just thinking.
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #6
OrygunJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitra View Post
We just thought we'd write regarding our new TIPM. It's been several months + since our TIPM was replaced. The moral of the story is apparently the many issues with the vehicle were indeed caused by the TIPM. Here's what we had observed prior to the TIPM replacement: Intermittent no start condition, intermittent stalling, intermittently all the indicators would illuminate on the EVIC and cycle through menus. Climate control would freeze up (buttons). Driver's side window had a mind of its own. Power door locks would lock but not always unlock. Intermittent "audible alerts" that we could never determine what they were for. Horn intermittent. Dealer could never find a CEL or cause of these issues. With persistence and Dealer hopping, we convinced one Dealer to replace the TIPM. Actually, the Horn quit for the Dealer which was isolated to a TIPM issue. Since the new TIPM, nothing has acted up - knock on wood. 2011 GC Summit. Just wondering how many issues with these vehicles are really cause by the TIPM?
When did you purchase your 2011? What was your out the door cost? I also live in Oregon. Trying to find a fair price on a similar GC.
OrygunJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
OrygunJeep

Quote:
We bought our 2011 in May of 2014 from a Chevrolet Dealer. We likely paid too much at $35,400 - I think is what it was. Had around 34K miles. Grey with the saddle leather interior and is the Overland Summit. Had new tires with zero miles but they are some Korean brand. The Guy that owned it prior to us traded it in on a new Corvette Stingray. We found his name after we bought it and called him. It had Weather-Tech mats throughout when we bought it. He swing buy with some very heavy Jeep rubber mats for the hatch area and all the way around and the original Jeep mats still in plastic and handed them to us. We told him it looked like he took really good care of the vehicle and he corrected us. :-(. He said it was never garaged but he is a perfectionist so he detailed it a lot. He also said he drove it very hard. It has some rock chips on the nose from the rock they throw down here. We've only put just over 1000 miles on it since it was always stranding us. The previous owner said he didn't have any issues except for the rear hatch lift mechanism. We said we would NEVER own a grey car but my Wife saw this with the saddle leather combination and had to have it. I research every vehicle we buy but we'd been looking for months and I was tired out. When she finally found something she liked, I said OK. Now she finds it a bit too big for our garage. We are hoping the major issues are behind us. We want to take it on a road trip. Her family is out in the Mid-West, 1700 miles each way. That would be a good test. For an SUV, it seems pretty quiet inside and has plenty of power (5.7 Hemi). We did test-drive a Mercedes GL450 SUV and that vehicle was almost dead silent. Really impressed. It was a 2008 model. But I talked to a couple of Mercedes mechanics over lunch and they scared me away from the purchase.
That is some great info. Thanks for that. Appears demand for these things is quite high in Oregon, so prices are staying high. As long as people are willing to pull the trigger, why not? I hope you are through the woods on your major issues as well.

How cool that you were able to connect with the original owner. Even if the info he provided was not what you are hoping for, it is info nonetheless and valuable in my opinion. Any time I look at a used car I wish I could speak to the previous owner, but there's a reason that it's so hard to make happen.
OrygunJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Kitra
2011 WK 

Good luck on your search. They seem to be a really nice vehicle but the TIPM issue and Chrysler's too-little too-late response really hurt them. We were going to pay for the TIPM as we were tired of the problems.
Unread 02-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
joplinwkfan
2011 WK 

Quote:
We do not have the fuel pump relay. We wondered if it should be added but do know how to hot-wire the fuel-pump to get us home if it should act up again someday. Since the TIPM is in a pretty hostile environment, I've been thinking of building a cooling device for the TIPM. Maybe a Peltier Thermo-electric cooler would to the job? Just thinking.
Not sure what you mean by not having a fuel pump relay. You DO have one... surface mounted and buried deep inside the TIPM. That's not a bad thing since current TIPM production has addressed the relay issues.

I wouldn't bother trying to cool the TIPM. The relay issues were due to poor production quality control... not heat or hostile environment.

So I take it the dealer replaced your TIPM out of "goodwill" and not under any type of warranty? That's awesome if they did. Very few dealers out there would actually go to that extreme to satisfy a customer outside of warranty. A new TIPM is about $650 dealer cost plus labor.
joplinwkfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
grandcherokeesa

Quote:
Hi Kitra,

I am having similar problems with my 2011 GC Overland stalling out, I just was wondering if you had the recall on the vehicle fixed before you replaced the TIPM. Was the quitting of the horn the only reason why they replaced it, was it covered under warranty? or did you have to pay for it? Can you tell me how your vehicle stalled out before you replaced the TIPM. Has your vehicle stalled out or had any problems since the TIPM was replaced. If you could let me know it would help a lot.

Thank you
grandcherokeesa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
Kitra
2011 WK 

TIPM details.

Our TIPM failed weeks before the 3/36 warranty expired. We would have never succeeded in getting it replaced without the horn "hard failing". The horn used to blow in the middle of the night, the EVIC would randomly change screens, door locks would activate randomly, but the engine stalling out was downright dangerous. The vehicle was a lemon before the TIPM was replaced. With the new updated TIPM, it's amazing how nice it is. Everything is working as it should. From what I know now, if I had a Jeep GC with a flaky TIPM, I would fight with Jeep and if all else failed, I'd cut my losses and buy a TIPM. It's made a POS Jeep GC a very nice vehicle. The Dealership did talk us into an extended warranty, however. We bought the warranty online from another Dealer. The Service Manager told us the air suspension is very expensive to repair and said it will eventually fail. So we bought the warranty. We think the engine is too noisy as it clatters. Like something in the valve train. The Dealers say it's normal. So all is good at the moment. We do think the vehicle is much harder to drive than our previous SUV. It's hard to tell side clearance and front clearance as the body line disappear viewing over the hood. Our 1999 Mercury Mountaineer was square and you could see everything looking out the windshield.
Unread 05-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Ratrusty
2011 WK 

I just got my tipm replaced and now the radio controls on the steering wheel don't work the visor lights don't work the GPS goes far distance to near the dome lights don't work now. Don't know if the Tipm is the problem or if it's another switch somewhere. If anyone has an idea help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Ratrusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratrusty View Post
I just got my tipm replaced and now the radio controls on the steering wheel don't work the visor lights don't work the GPS goes far distance to near the dome lights don't work now. Don't know if the Tipm is the problem or if it's another switch somewhere. If anyone has an idea help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Sounds like when you had your TIPM replaced the tech didn't fully insert some of the fuses/relays into the new TIPM module or installed blown fuses/relays in circuits where you are having issues. You can open the TIPM door and look for fuses/relays not fully seated and press them into place, and or check to see if they might be blown.

The tech that did this TIPM install should have checked the electrical circuits to make sure they were all operating as designed, and should have disconnected the negative battery terminal before doing any work on the TIPM!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Ratrusty
2011 WK 

Thank you for getting back to me it looks to me like the Tipm was a reman not a new so I'm not sure if there's something else blown in the Tipm. I will check the fuses though this dealer is not very reparable and have had a lot of problems in the past but thank you for your help I'll give it a try. Richard
Ratrusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.