New member W/ 2014 GC questions and also a sound like valve clatter at cold start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New member W/ 2014 GC questions and also a sound like valve clatter at cold start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
stech

New member W/ 2014 GC questions and also a sound like valve clatter at cold start

Hello all, I am new here except the post I did before buying our new 2014 GC to look into reliability issues.

We finaly pulled the trigger in mid March on a new 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo V6, with a build date of 03/14 Right off the line just hit the dealership in hopes of avoiding most common issues Ive heard about here.

I have a couple questions maybe you can help with.
I have 750 miles on it so far and no transmission or electrical/computer issues yet. I do have on some mornings what sounds like a second of valve clatter on first start. Goes away very quickly and doesnt do it every time yet. We rented a 2012 GC in Florida when on vacation with same V6 motor that did the same thing but every morning, and every one we started at the dealerships we looked at did it also (at least 10). I was told by the sales person and service dept they all do it. The one we bought was the only one that didnt but now seems to be starting. Any one know what this is and why.

Also I am a fan in synthetic oil, when is a safe time to make the switch to it in this V6. Also do you think running a synthetic 0w20 will get rid of the clatter at start with the oil moving quicker.

Last , just wanted to say Im glad to have found this forum, after reading through it for a few months before buying I was a little concerned about buying this Jeep but the more I researched this and other vehicles we were considering I realized they all have issues. It seems like this is a great support forum with some very knowledgeable people to get advise from.

stech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
ColdCase

2011 WK 

You can switch to synthetic any time you want. You should use the oil weight specified in the owners manual.
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Hi,

Congrats on the G.C. purchase. I would run the oil that is recommended in the manual but owners preference of course.. Our 5.7l upon cold start sometimes will clatter for minute or so then it clears up when its warms up, our Overland 4.7l HO did the same thing also when cold. Generally the forums bring out the worst in vehicles because most of the time people come to a forum for help or to vent. Our G.C. has been a good solid rig for 12 months and 13,xxx and it has survived my women's driving also, so that must say something Tell ya what though this forum is much better than the diesel forums, those guys can be rude lots of horsepower combined with $$ and Ego's...I mainly stick around here, good forum, good advise, and the egos are not as large, well for the most part at-least Drive it and enjoy!
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
stech

Thanks for the feed back. it says 5W20 so I cant imagine full syn 0W20 doing any harm.
Good to know about this forum,, It took awhile for me to make the move to the GC because I have always driven full size trucks, but since turning 50 and no need any longer for the trucks I was looking for something that my son and I can still take up to the mountains (Wife and daughter dont camp any more unless it is in a cabin) but wont kill me with the 500.00 a month gas bill and give me a nicer ride/drive. I must say for a big guy 6 ft 230 I fit well and actually enjoy driving it a lot more then I expected.
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

I have a 2014 with the V6 Pentastar also, 4k miles on it at this time. I just got 1st oil change about 300 miles ago and went with full synthetic which I run on all my vehicles. I live in Northern WA. state, cold winters and mine is garaged and does not clatter upon starting. Also, recommend to stay with what Jeep recommends, 5-20W. Using a different weight oil may make more sense at times for more protection in regard to type of uses, but could cause and issue if you were to have a needed repair under warranty and they discovered you used a different weight oil. When out of warranty doesn't matter.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
stech

So far every dealership I called(7) except one said to wait until 10,000 miles to switch over to full synthetic. I figure Ill change it at 2000 miles with conventional then at 5000 again with conventional then run another 5k and go to Pennzoil Platinum 5W20.
We are a little over 1000 miles now and no issues at all so far. Cant believe how smooth this Transmission shifts its like no other vehicle Ive driven. Im really hoping waiting for this March 2014 build date was worth it and no issues arise.
Unread 04-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stech View Post
So far every dealership I called(7) except one said to wait until 10,000 miles to switch over to full synthetic. I figure Ill change it at 2000 miles with conventional then at 5000 again with conventional then run another 5k and go to Pennzoil Platinum 5W20.
We are a little over 1000 miles now and no issues at all so far. Cant believe how smooth this Transmission shifts its like no other vehicle Ive driven. Im really hoping waiting for this March 2014 build date was worth it and no issues arise.
Small world of Jeep owners. I lived Disco Bay for 18 years, moved from there to WA. 2004. Do you have the Pentastar, Hemi or Diesel?
Unread 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
stech

Small world indeed.. We have many friends in Discovery Bay, Very nice area. We just recently moved from Brentwood to Walnut Creek, but keep in touch with all our friends and son still plays ball in Brentwood , I really like that area.
I have the V6 Pentastar. Was originally going to buy it for my wife, but ended up getting her an Acura MDX, I liked it so much I went back and got the Jeep GC for myself. I Have owned nothing but full size trucks for the last 30 yrs and decided it was time for a change.
Unread 04-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Quote:
So far every dealership I called(7) except one said to wait until 10,000 miles to switch over to full synthetic.
Switched to synthetic at 1000 miles - hope it doesn't blow up! <dealerships!>
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Small world indeed.. We have many friends in Discovery Bay, Very nice area. We just recently moved from Brentwood to Walnut Creek, but keep in touch with all our friends and son still plays ball in Brentwood , I really like that area.
I have the V6 Pentastar. Was originally going to buy it for my wife, but ended up getting her an Acura MDX, I liked it so much I went back and got the Jeep GC for myself. I Have owned nothing but full size trucks for the last 30 yrs and decided it was time for a change.
Me, I sold my house there in 04, couldn't pass up the equity gain. Moved to AZ. spending winters there, bought a 2nd home in Bellingham WA. for summers. Looking back though, and much older than you at 69, still miss being on the water with my own houseboat and ski boat. Spent some great years in D.B. when younger at that time with the skiing especially in the early summer mornings when the water was like glass to ski on. Got to say in all, miss being right on the delta and kind of sorry I moved, but then again, the profit gained got the best of me and I couldn't pass up. Of course that was when real estate was booming compared to last several years in general. Paid $303k for the house in D.B. put about $50k in upgrading it last 4-5 years I was there with the intention of staying but just about tripled in value when I sold it. You can google the house if you want to. Address is 5370 Riverpoint D.B. just about 5 minutes max. to fast water. Neighbor there at end of street 49r center, Jeremy Newberry who had some wild parties and lot's of his football buddies there many times. Newberry, "really" big guy up close and personal and "really" fast.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.