New Jeep SMELL!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New Jeep SMELL!?

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
magr80
2011 WK 

New Jeep SMELL!?

I am the happy owner of a new Grand Jeep Cherokee Overland Summit in mineral grey with the sable/black interior with gas guzzler V8. I intended to go in and order a regular Overland with the V8 in the same colors but ended up taking a loaded Summit off the lot. My wife told me I would like it and who am I to argue.

I'm wondering about the "new car smell" that is coming from the jeep. I don't know if it's just me getting older and becoming more sensitive to odors or that I haven't bought a new car in about 7 years and I don't remember what a new car smells like?!?

Any of you guys relate?

magr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I like the new car smell of my Jeep, I have a Overland V8 in Dark Charcoal over black. What does the Summit get one that the "regular" Overland doesn't?
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
RageOfFury
2011 WK 

Welcome and Congrats!

I love that new Jeep smell. It didn't last very long in mine though as I scotchguarded the whole interior(carpets, seats).
RageOfFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
magr80
2011 WK 

Thanks guys for the welcome!

The Overland Summit is the Overland with the all chrome (plastic) looking grill (no black in between) and chrome looking fog lamp bezels, the blind spot warning thing, the crash avoidance thing and the badging ... I think that's it. Translated, about another $3000 in options that I didn't particularly want but we decided we liked the garmin 430 that was in this particular vehicle and to order one meant the 730n nav. Don't even know which is better but the garmin seemed easy to use ....
magr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome. You really will enjoy the Jeep. The new car smell in these Jeep happens to be more of a leather smell than the standard new car smell you got a few years ago with vehicles. I love the new leather smell in my mom's WK2. You probably also smell the burn in from the ceramic pads used for the heated seats. It is totally normal.

Post some pics of your new beast
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
one11sgt

A Little tidbit....I have always heard the the "new car smell" is actually the scent of the glue used in the roof liner. How true that is, I dont know...
one11sgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11sgt View Post
A Little tidbit....I have always heard the the "new car smell" is actually the scent of the glue used in the roof liner. How true that is, I dont know...
Usually a mix of all the different chems used to make the vehicle.

Imagine with the real leather seats...that kind of takes over. Hopefully I'll know next year
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11sgt View Post
Yes, and it is actually harmful for you o.O... Some of these glues used to contain Formaldehyde.

Grats on your Summit, thats one of the sexiest Jeeps to grace this Earth.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
K9jackie

I like the smell I ended up getting a summit off the lot because of the delay in my red order...
K9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got a great Jeep K9Jackie. I love the smell too. It just smells so real. So far off from the smell of these eco boxes and other pieces of garbage on the road.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
JeremiahB

This is a funny topic but I have to chime in. I absolutely love the smell of my new GC. I'm over 8k miles and, when we get a warm day, it smells just like when I drove it off the lot. The car wash place always tries to put in air freshener and I always tell them no way.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
ternst

Speaking of new smell, every time I've had a car detailed inside the smell is horrible when they get done - does anyone know what cleaner all these places use that causes this? I love the clean, but not the smell...
ternst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Jughead
2011 WK 

I love the smell of our new GC Limited.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
khuon
2011 WK 

Not sure I am affectionate about the new car smell. But my old Jeep developed moldy AC smell so I consider this to be at least preferable to that. Funnily enough, my wife's Volvo C70 which is a couple of years old and has long since lost its constant new car smell will sometimes blast us with the new car smell. I'm not sure where it's coming from... possibly the AC?
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.