New to Jeep - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Steve11x

New to Jeep

I am new to Jeep and Mopar and looking for advice. I am seriously considering a 2017 Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7 Hemi. What do I need to know about Jeep in general? I already love the look and the features, I am looking for more of the technical information.
- What breaks?
- What is the achilles heel of Jeep and Mopar?
- Any features to avoid altogether?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 01:02 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Overall, they are pretty reliable. When they break, it can be expensive but for about $3k, you can get a factory MaxCare lifetime warranty.

The Summit has just about all options on it and also has the acoustic windshield. The air suspension may be an issue, been a lot of chatter on here.

You hear more about issues on a forum like this so read thru and make your own determination. That's what I did and I just bought a 2017 Trailhawk.
newdoze likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM2's 35x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Steve11x

Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There isn't anything in particular that would affect your decision. If you are one that is anal about fit and finish, check the prospects over as some are put together better than others. Make sure you test drive extensively to uncover any annoying characteristics .

The Achilles hill in many areas is the dealer sales and service, but you could say that about any make and model.

The WK2 is an excellent vehicle, buy one you like with confidence.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 02:56 PM
murderedoutGC
2016 WK 

DISCLAIMER Do not get discouraged by what you read on here though. Most people come on here to discuss issues not to brag about how great their rig is. Jeeps do have issues as do any other brand but are as reliable as they come imo and I am on my 5th one. You get great one and you can get lemons, it also comes down to how you treat your rig. Do your research, test drive some and buy what suits your needs.

2016 GC Overland High Altitude White on black
post #6 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Steve11x

Thank you!
post #7 of 30 Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Tkr7
2015 WK 

I was a GM guy for 30+ years and took the plunge into a Jeep GC Limited in 2015. No regrets.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

I've had my loaded 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland for approximately 1 year. It is the most tricked out, best riding, handling and reliable of my previous 3 Grand Cherokees. The only service items in one year were two recall events (shifter and check a front brake caliper). Other than that one oil change and tire rotation in 9000 miles. The WK2's are a major step up from the previous WJ's and WK's in technology. Don't get me wrong both the previous generations were also great vehicles, my son owns both my previous 2005 WK 5.7 and is his daily driver still running strong at 165k+ miles, and the 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7L is lifted and over 170k miles. As others have said, check out your new 2017 on the lot for assembly details, panel gaps inside and out, paint defects, panel dents. Test drive it fast, hard on smooth roads, crappy roads. Take it on the same route you drive to and from work to compare it against anything you currently drive. 2017 selection should be very good, so get the pick of the litter. If your purchasing consider the max care extended warranty. If something breaks on that Summit in 3 years you will need it. Since your new to this, keep in mind it can become contagious, it's a Jeep Thing. Good luck in your search.

After some time, you'll start stockpiling them

15 WK2 Overland 3.6L QTII
05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
01 WJ Limited 4.7L QuadraDrive
00 WJ Laredo-gone
post #9 of 30 Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Steve11x

I am the same. 21 GM Vehicles later and this is the first step outside of my normal. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Steve11x

Thanks! Love the look and the features. I have been a GM guy for 25 years and purchased a Lexus GS350-F Sport almost 2 years ago thinking I was getting a quiet, luxury car. I drive about 125 miles each day to and from work. The car is louder than my 2004 Tahoe with a 408 Stroker, Supercharger and open exhaust as far as road noise is concerned. I cannot even use the Bluetooth in the Lexus because the road noise it too great.
My hopes are the Jeep, with its noise cancelling technology and windshield will help greatly with the exterior road noise, along with being higher off the ground and taller tires than the 40 series on the Lexus!
Thanks again for the input.
post #11 of 30 Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 PM
tuq
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutGC View Post
DISCLAIMER Do not get discouraged by what you read on here though. Most people come on here to discuss issues not to brag about how great their rig is. Jeeps do have issues as do any other brand but are as reliable as they come imo and I am on my 5th one. You get great one and you can get lemons, it also comes down to how you treat your rig. Do your research, test drive some and buy what suits your needs.
Cosign all of this, and I'm on my sixth dating back almost twenty years. To be fair I haven't researched nor test driven any comparable rides. Just as I've played Ping golf clubs for about thirty years, so have I driven GCs for much of my adult life. It works for me.

The only ongoing problem I've ever had is with my current one, a steering wheel radio button issue that the dealer can't seem to proberly fix. Pretty minor in the grand scheme.

Hope you get one and hope it treats you well.

2015 Summit: V6 / deep auburn pearlcoat / dark sienna brown & black interior / California edition
post #12 of 30 Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Steve11x

Thanks for the input! I've had to replace the steering wheel on my Tahoe for the same issue.
Looks like I am headed in on Sunday to order mine as no one on the West Coast has what I am looking for.

Summit Edition
Bright White
Black Leather
Summit California Edition
Skid Plate
5.7 V8 Hemi
Uconnect 8.4 Nav
Rear Seat dual Blue-Ray/DVD Player
19 Speaker Harmon Kardon Audio System

Most dealers can get me close, but not exact. I'll have to wait a few months, but hopefully its worth the wait.
post #13 of 30 Old 02-16-2017, 11:32 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Check out the ivory tri-coat. It's very white looking but a tint of ivory metallic pearl. In the sun it looks AMAZING. It'll be the best $595 you've ever spent on paint.

I have a 17 ivory tri-coat Summit with the Hemi. My dad liked it so much he had to one up me and get a 17 ivory tri-coat SRT.

All summits come with the 19 speaker HK sound and 8.4 nav.

Unless you need it, the rear seat DVD is stupidly expensive st $2000. I'd skip it and get kids iPads or something.

I got the skid plates too just for peace of mind.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #14 of 30 Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Steve11x

I love the way it looks, but if you get a rock chip it cannot be repaired. My Lexus currently has a dual process paint on it and cannot be touched up. I spoke with a body shop and even the GM at a Jeep Dealership and both said the same thing. Once I buy it I will have the entire front end covered with the Invisible Shield. The Lexus has that and it has been amazing to protect the front end. It's when a random rock flies high and hits high on the hood on strikes an A-pillar that you can't repair it without taking it into the body shop. I am trying to avoid that.
post #15 of 30 Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Shadowdog500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve11x View Post
Thanks for the input! I've had to replace the steering wheel on my Tahoe for the same issue.
Looks like I am headed in on Sunday to order mine as no one on the West Coast has what I am looking for.

Summit Edition
Bright White
Black Leather
Summit California Edition
Skid Plate
5.7 V8 Hemi
Uconnect 8.4 Nav
Rear Seat dual Blue-Ray/DVD Player
19 Speaker Harmon Kardon Audio System

Most dealers can get me close, but not exact. I'll have to wait a few months, but hopefully its worth the wait.
That looks like a well equipped jeep, I can't wait to see the photos when it comes in.

Ive been driving a Grand Cherokee as my primary transportation since I bought my '96 new and have nothing but good things to say about them and can not think of an Achilles heel in the jeep Grand Cherokee line. If you maintain them properly they seem to go forever. My current '03 limited with a 4.7 V8 has 239,000 relatively trouble free miles and still runs great.

I'm very close to getting a new '17 limited with the 5.7 Hemi as well and will probably order mine as well. My dealer told me that it is currently taking about 6 weeks from order to delivery at my dealership in NJ.

I bet you will love your new jeep!!!

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.