New here and about to be owner of 2014 Summit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New here and about to be owner of 2014 Summit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
MrBreeze

New here and about to be owner of 2014 Summit

I purchased a V8 Summit yesterday, traded in a 2011 QX 56 (nice SUV just too big for my needs). I have to say I was very impressed with the Summit. Jeep has come a long way since the CJ5 days. I am looking forward to learning more about the GC (already told the dealer to do the software updates when the car gets there thanks for that info) for everyone on this forum. I do have one question already. Does the sound system have a hard drive and can you store music via CD's if it does.

MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
wwhiskey75

Congratulations on your purchase. I own a 2011 summit and yes it does store music on the HDD via CD or USB input.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
wwhiskey75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
MrBreeze

I picked it up on Saturday and I am very, very pleased. Much nicer to drive than either the QX56 or the Range Rover HSE I had before it and considering the cost this thing is a bargain!
MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhiskey75 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. I own a 2011 summit and yes it does store music on the HDD via CD or USB input.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Someone needs to show me this HDD. My 8.4AN only allows music to be played from a USB or SD and the CD was a extra $200 and stole more than half of my armrest storage. (I didn't want the CD but the dealer ordered it with one.)

You can also play off the standard stuff as well, AUX port Bluetooth, ect. But no HDD storage of music like on the older Chrysler radios.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't think the 2014 provides for local (in the radio) music storage, you need an aux device like a iPod, SD card, etc.

The 2014s do not have a hard drive as previous model radios. It has 16GB of flash memory mostly for its software, Nav and settings storage along with buffering of radio audio. The 8.4A only has 8GB flash.
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
14summithemi
2014 WK 

As the replies state, no HDD/flash memory to rip audio files to. I know the following solution is a hassle but let's face it, CD's are dead! I specifically had to order my Summit (Dec delivery) to NOT get the CD unit. Too bad your dealer boned you on that one.

No auto ripping HDD is actually a very good thing especially since you have the awesome surround sound Harmon Kardon system. Here's why. That stereo is so friggin' good that it exposes the HUGE quality differences between audio CD's (60-100MB per song) and .MP3 files (2-14MB per song). First, any HDD would be outdated (ie undersized) the second it is installed. Second, the software ripper the mfr would use would almost assuredly not maximize sound quality as it rips to the HDD and the playback would be noticeably inferior to the original CD. Sooo, what I am in the process of doing is ripping my 400 CD's to .MP3 files using the highest quality free ripper I could find tuned to the highest quality output. I have tested the output and it's pretty darned good. Certainly blows away the playback quality of any .MP3 file I have ever heard or downloaded. It's pretty fast too. I can rip 30 CD's in about 45 minutes counting all the in/out/create directory, etc... stuff. I have chosen to place them all on a high speed (Class 10) 64GB SD card. Should fill about 50GB.

The download can be found here:

http://www.freac.org/

It's totally free, no begging for donations (although I did when I used and loved it), no shareware, etc.....

If you or anyone else is interested I can give some tips on tuning it to max the quality. Also have some tips on output format after I tested the menu system on the 8.4AN.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.