New Banks EcoDiesel Exhaust Installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New Banks EcoDiesel Exhaust Installed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

New Banks EcoDiesel Exhaust Installed

Just wrapped up some hot lapping of the EcoDiesel after a visit to Gale Banks Engineering this morning. Noise level is basically unchanged, turbo seems to spool up much faster in both Eco and sport modes which has moderated some of that weird initial lag that Jeep seems to have built into the electronic throttle. Mileage is unchanged or appears to be after 25 miles of driving. Lastly, the Banks exhaust carved off 26 pounds of pork off the rear end of the truck.

I also happen to like the looks too. Fit and finish are perfect and it looks as good underneath as from what can be seen from outside the vehicle.

All these I see as positives which makes the modification very attractive. Banks has a well thought out product.

image-23844624.jpg

image-4011562218.jpg

Robert J. yates is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
WK2Kev
2014 WK 

Cool.
Looking forward to more info?
WK2Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
GRIM_REAPER_76
2014 WK 

Any word on a setup for the Summit since the rear fascia and exhaust tips are different?
GRIM_REAPER_76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
volvite
1999 WJ 

What's the cost? I don't see it on their website, however I may be blind.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
hayasa

Is this a turbo-back, a DPF-back, a cat-back, or an axle-back? (As you go down the line, the effect on performance is reduced to the point of being negligible.) In all seriousness, I think there might be two things going for this - the reduction in weight, and a possible change in the geometry that channels water into the cat area. Fixing that might be worth the cost alone.
hayasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's an axle back so gains in performance will be negliable. If anyone questions why this is an axle back they simply need to get under their truck and take a look. I myself have never seen a more complicated exhaust system on a vehicle and with the integration of the exhaust into the operating system, there probably will not be a dpf delete or any such product coming soon from any reputable aftermarket company.

Beyond all that, what I can say after another 120 miles is that the initial throttle tip in lag is pretty much gone in sport mode which is a very good thing. Additionally, the turbo spools up much better when the Jeep is kicked down into a passing gear.

The other thing I have noticed is a little less wallow or tail wag from the rear end. Some may scoff at that but I've been through this with my Wrangler and anytime you can take weight off the very end of a vehicle, it has a significant effect on handling dynamics.

As for sales.... My truck has been a design bogy for several months along with Diver's who has his own thread here. I can't speak to the Summits but mine is an Overland Diesel with the ORA2 package and Divers is a Limited so I know both those models and their differences have been taken into account and are covered. I would expect pricing and production announcements soon.
Robert J. yates is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates
It's an axle back so gains in performance will be negliable. If anyone questions why this is an axle back they simply need to get under their truck and take a look. I myself have never seen a more complicated exhaust system on a vehicle and with the integration of the exhaust into the operating system, there probably will not be a dpf delete or any such product coming soon from any reputable aftermarket company.

Beyond all that, what I can say after another 120 miles is that the initial throttle tip in lag is pretty much gone in sport mode which is a very good thing. Additionally, the turbo spools up much better when the Jeep is kicked down into a passing gear.

The other thing I have noticed is a little less wallow or tail wag from the rear end. Some may scoff at that but I've been through this with my Wrangler and anytime you can take weight off the very end of a vehicle, it has a significant effect on handling dynamics.

As for sales.... My truck has been a design bogy for several months along with Diver's who has his own thread here. I can't speak to the Summits but mine is an Overland Diesel with the ORA2 package and Divers is a Limited so I know both those models and their differences have been taken into account and are covered. I would expect pricing and production announcements soon.
If 26 pounds has a significant effect being removed from the rear, you may have suspension issues.

I would caution posting about having your vehicle used for R&D. This can bring up issues in the future with warranty and failures.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.