New 2014 JGC Overland - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New 2014 JGC Overland

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #31
psk31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Older limited slip differentials used an hydraulic pump powered by the differences in L/R axle spin to generate the forces to clamp the clutch. You needed some wheel spin to power the locking mechanism. And, given the less sophisticated and slower traction control of the day, it made sense to put them on both axles. With ELSD, the traction computer can lock the diff regardless and in anticipation of wheel spin. ...
True but they did offer both the newer style electrically-actuated ELSD in both front and rear axles in combination with the newer electronic traction control system right up until the end of the wk model (my 09' GC S-Limited had them), so I have to wonder if there was more to Jeeps decision to drop the elsd from the front than simply a refinement of the BTC systems in the wk2.
I'm carefully looking at the various candidates for our next vehicle come 14-15 MY, and right now based on everything I've been reading the new AWD system in the 14' Subaru Forester may very well be the one to beat. I guess if one has to lay out upwards of $60,000 to get something similar in a new GC with QD-II then the decision may be obvious (for me anyway).
Appreciate your thoughtful input.

Unread 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #32
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

No they never had the electrically motor operated ELSD in the WK. There was an electrical lockout signal to disable the hydraulically operated LSD when braking... so it had some electrical control. LSDs can interact badly with ABS.

Back in 2010-2011 Jeep demonstrated a comparison, perhaps a better than average google search would turn it up.

Subarus are fine if you want a car. If you can provide some credible road test comparison references that shows the Subaru system is the one to beat in 12 inches of snow, deep mud, serious trails.... while towing a 7000 lb trailer, please do... well maybe not the trailer part . There has been a recent test that shows the both Audi Quattro and Volvo system superior to the Subaru on the road... They all have specific situations where they may be superior, and one may be better for you than another, depending on how you intend to use the vehicle.

Think about one of the disadvantages of LSD without other augmentation. You can easily get both wheels spinning on an axle which is much less stable that the BCT pulsing kind of spin, like ABS it is more stable. If you search back through the forum about driver impressions of a QD equipped vehicle, I think you will find nothing but amazement. You tube is full of examples.

If all you are doing is driving on plowed roads down to the local mall and back, any AWD system will work just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.