New 2014 JGC Overland - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > New 2014 JGC Overland

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
overland_HO
2013 WK 

and Congrat's on that '14 Limited! Looks real sharp man, you will love that HEMI! Mine did not come with the "Trail Rated" badge either and has the ORAII, I asked about it and Jeep offered to slap one on the Jeep for me but I like it with out it personally, less badging the better IMO, plus my Trailhawk better be "Trail Rated" or I got ripped off...lol!

Unread 11-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
volvite
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj35802 View Post
Hi everyone, I am happy to say that after a 7 week impatient wait I am finally driving a 2014 Overland. I am very impressed with the vehicle and glad I went for the 5.7 HEMI engine (hope I feel the same way a few months from now, only got 150 miles on it so far). Went for the the Maximum Steel exterior and the Indigo Blue/Brown interior and I love how they match.

I did notice something a little different on my overland from the pics I found online. The stitching on the dashboard on mine is brown as well as the dashboard but pics online show white stitching, like the seats on the blue/brown interior. Anyone else has the blue/brown interior and can post a pic or two of that stitching on the dashboard. Just wondering if they messed mine up or they changed that for production.
You have the exact jeep that I want. The only thing I could do without is the technology package.

It's been very hard to find the blue/brown interior and then usually if I do find them, they are in a vehicle with the V6 and also the wrong color.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
KUBU
2014 WK 

Very nice choice of colors. I have ordered my GC Overland '14 with Maximum Steel and indigo/brown interior. I live in Oman, and I am not sure if the trail-rated badge will be slapped on mine. Surprisingly I haven't seen any '14 Overland on the roads here in Muscat. As per the dealer, there are only 8 sold, and mine should be the 10th. ETA Christmas
KUBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
tivoboy

I love that color, and the interior. I just hope I can get it in an overland without the hemi
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
fun2drive

Ordered the Overland with Cherry Red and Beige interior with Advanced Tech Package. I really like your wheels. Those are what 18" that come with the off road package aren't they?
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
bdamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj35802 View Post
Thnx, I am definitively enjoying it. Need to plan a quick weekend getaway so I can drive it a little more.

Yup, got the ORAII package that includes the Limited wheels and the Trail Rated Badge as well as skid plates.

I don't really mind that the stitching is brown instead of white, i mean it looks great, just wanted to find out if its a change they made or just a mistake on mine, wont do anything about it anyway.
I have a 2014 Overland with black interior and the dashboard has white stitching and while it looks nice I'm unhappy with how much it reflects in the windshield in sunlight. I've been wishing they would've used black stitching. In my opinion, be glad they used the brown. The brown/indigo is attractive and I'm sure the brown stiching is appealing too. Hope you're enjoying it!
bdamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
psk31

So does the 2014' Overland come equipped with both front and rear elec limited slip differentials? There appears to be more contradictory terminology in the build list, referring to electronic limited slip differentials, as in plural, and then only making reference to a rear ELSD as part of the QD-II description. Which is it? Surely they wouldn't be running an open diff in the front?
I see the same ambiguous reference to the ELSD on their web site in reference to the QDII equipped vehicles for 2014.

[quote=Shub45;17727057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub45
There is another thread about that. Apparently its random that they put them on. I paid extra for the appearance package which included black side steps, chrome pedals and entry door guards. It does state on the sticker that the bade is included but i dont think you pay extra for it.[/QUOTE
I checked the jeep website and the trailrated badge was included the the ORII package.

Attachment 842817
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

"So does the 2014' Overland come equipped with both front and rear elec limited slip differentials? There appears to be more contradictory terminology in the build list, referring to electronic limited slip differentials, as in plural, and then only making reference to a rear ELSD as part of the QD-II description. Which is it? Surely they wouldn't be running an open diff in the front?
I see the same ambiguous reference to the ELSD on their web site in reference to the QDII equipped vehicles for 2014."

All 4x4 models have an open diff in the front. Given the sophistication of current traction controls, Jeep engineers found no advantage to a front ELSD. What confuses many of us is that Jeep has taken some liberty with terminology. What most of us know as brake traction control (applying brake to a spinning wheel) jeep sometimes says is an ELSD effect. It is kinda, but is confusing to most off us who think diffs when limited slip is mentioned.

The ELSD is standard on V8 (or CRD) 4x4 Summits and comes in the ORA II package on other V8 (or CRD) models. The current base Overland does not include ELSD, although it did in 2011. You have to buy the ORA II package.

BTW, the current ELSD is a bit different than those used prior to 2011. It can completely lock up the diff if the traction control so choses. It locks when you stab the throttle for example. Unlike the pure mechanical systems of before, it does not need wheel spin to engage. Just a command from the traction computer.

The right tire still makes more of a traction difference, however.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
OverlandSummitt

Wow, great looking Jeep!
OverlandSummitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
"So does the 2014' Overland come equipped with both front and rear elec limited slip differentials? There appears to be more contradictory terminology in the build list, referring to electronic limited slip differentials, as in plural, and then only making reference to a rear ELSD as part of the QD-II description. Which is it? Surely they wouldn't be running an open diff in the front?
I see the same ambiguous reference to the ELSD on their web site in reference to the QDII equipped vehicles for 2014."

All 4x4 models have an open diff in the front. Given the sophistication of current traction controls, Jeep engineers found no advantage to a front ELSD. What confuses many of us is that Jeep has taken some liberty with terminology. What most of us know as brake traction control (applying brake to a spinning wheel) jeep sometimes says is an ELSD effect. It is kinda, but is confusing to most off us who think diffs when limited slip is mentioned.

The ELSD is standard on V8 (or CRD) 4x4 Summits and comes in the ORA II package on other V8 (or CRD) models. The current base Overland does not include ELSD, although it did in 2011. You have to buy the ORA II package.

BTW, the current ELSD is a bit different than those used prior to 2011. It can completely lock up the diff if the traction control so choses. It locks when you stab the throttle for example. Unlike the pure mechanical systems of before, it does not need wheel spin to engage. Just a command from the traction computer.

The right tire still makes more of a traction difference, however.
Agreed on the tires, thanks for that information and clearing that up with the ELSD, I was curious about the front end, but it makes sense with the front end open with all the computer traction control management stuff. My Trailhawk's QDII seems to act or behave about the same and better than the QD in my 2003 Overland with the FR and RR LSD's... I am pretty impressed with the QD II, I was very sceptical at first, but it doesnít seem to slip tires, held slick rock, like no other in Moab and just great on ice and snow...Kicks our Subaruís but in the snow and ice thatís for sure..
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice looking Overland. I've been considering consolidating two of our Jeeps into a '14 Overland or Limited and looked at a couple with brown interiors this morning. I could have sworn the stitching to be brown, just as yours is equipped.

I don't do any towing, so I'll likely be going with a V6 (which is what I have in our '13 now), but the V8 drove really nice as well; good options either way.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

Maybe it's a technicality, but if you get QDII and not the full ORA package, you are still getting the ELSD. In other words, the full ORA package is not necessary to get the ELSD and it's functionality. ORA adds the skid plates and 18" wheels.

I figured I'd slowly add skid plates over time and maybe get a second set of 18s if we get to the point of doing more regular off roading/rough road driving. Saved some cabbage up front by not holding out for the full ORA package on our Overland.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
psk31

ColdCase,
I'm a bit confused by your comment,
"BTW, the current ELSD is a bit different than those used prior to 2011. It can completely lock up the diff if the traction control so choses. It locks when you stab the throttle for example. Unlike the pure mechanical systems of before, it does not need wheel spin to engage. Just a command from the traction computer."
As you stated, this system being a brake based traction control system, how then does it "completely lock up" under throttle induced wheel spin?? I can't see this happening, as in reality you'd be fighting the trucks own braking system under a full throttle launch. How can this be in any way as effective as a mechanical or electro-mechanical true LSD differential?
And are you telling me if I go out and fork over ++$50,000 for a 14' Overland (without the ORA package) it comes with no front or rear ELSD system?!
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Jeep looks good! Digging the colors!
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The marketeers have a tendency to confuse things.

All WK2s come equipped with Brake Traction Control (BTC). The traction control computer senses wheel spin and applies brakes to the spinning wheel. Jeep also offers, on some models, an optional Electronic Limited Slip Differential (ELSD) that replaces BTC on the rear axle (BTC is still used on the front 4x4s regardless). The ELSD diff has an internal electric motor driven clutch within the diff that locks the two axle haves together from 0 to 100% under command of the traction computer. This is similar to what happens within the QTII transfer case.

Older limited slip differentials used an hydraulic pump powered by the differences in L/R axle spin to generate the forces to clamp the clutch. You needed some wheel spin to power the locking mechanism. And, given the less sophisticated and slower traction control of the day, it made sense to put them on both axles. With ELSD, the traction computer can lock the diff regardless and in anticipation of wheel spin. ... such as when you stomp on the throttle or are starting off in snow mode. ELSD in the rear combined with higher performance traction control computers makes ELSD the front of little benefit. There may be a one in a million off road situation where it may be helpful. There was numerous discussions in 2010-2011 about why Jeep decided to only offer ELSD on the rear and as an option, as well as some demonstrations. Limited slip diff in the grand cherokee has always been optional, if available at all.

On the other hand, today's BTC is pretty effective too but is hard on brake pads, especially in the more challenging off road environments. BTC is not as efficient as ELSD getting horsepower to the wheel with traction as it converts much horsepower to heat ... Given similar tires and driver skill, a BTC WK2 will get you just as far as an ELSD WK2. The ELSD WK2 will get you there with less drama and require less driver attention to detail, however. ESLD has more advantage in high HP applications, like the SRT, where wheel spin on launch impacts 0-60 times. All current SRTs are equipped with ELSD and launch control.

And yes, its the QD option that adds ELSD to QTII, and any vehicle combination that offers QD will contain the ELSD. Jeep has a tendency to restrict QD to certain combinations, even when the spec sheets say it can be equipped. For 2014 QD is a stand alone overland option... sorry about missing that. My Bad.

Bottom line, if you want the ELSD, make sure you see it on the build sheet.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.