Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need some info on 2016 JGC Overland

2K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
In Sept. My wife and I bought a 2016 JGC WK2 4x4 it has a 3.6L V6 motor. We have not put many miles on it yet, due to my being illsd then being in the hospital for 10 days. Any way what kind of mileage can my wife expect to get. In her 92 Ram B150 Van with a 318 cu.in. 5.2L V-8 she got 15 to 16 mpg. She is only getting less than that in the Jeep. But she has less than 400 miles on it as of today. Also it says to drive it less than 55mph until after you reach 300 miles on the odometer. Will the mileage get better? We bought this vehicle as a TOAD for behind our RV so it has the Quadra Trac II Transfer case.

#2 ·
Mileage usually does get a little better between 500 and 1000 miles.

I would expect at least 18 if driven in the same conditions as the B150, although just a little change in idling, AC usage, and cold weather starts can make a big difference.

Reactions: w6pea
#4 ·
Mileage usually does get a little better between 500 and 1000 miles.

I would expect at least 18 if driven in the same conditions as the B150, although just a little change in idling, AC usage, and cold weather starts can make a big difference.
The 318 is a very respectable engine putting out decent power and decent gas mileage. I had a 2014 V6 GC and I will say that it is more powerful than the 318 and gives better mileage. The low point I received (after breaking in the V6) was 17.5 when towing the boat, other than that it was always around 19 in my local driving. On the super highways I could get 24 mpg easily on cruise, unless my ambition forced me to the fast lane, and then the lowest then was 22. I would not even look at the mileage until around 2k miles as it slowly improves. I would recommend the V6 over the 318 and I have had them both. Good luck with the break in.
I noticed in my Ram 2500 Laramie the mileage went up, after I had about 1500 miles on it, the mileage went up. So it will be awhile. SWMbO's Jeep is nice I would or say I should start driving some more but due o health problems I am not driving right now. COPD really sucks.

Thanks for the answers.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
The 318 is a very respectable engine putting out decent power and decent gas mileage. I had a 2014 V6 GC and I will say that it is more powerful than the 318 and gives better mileage. The low point I received (after breaking in the V6) was 17.5 when towing the boat, other than that it was always around 19 in my local driving. On the super highways I could get 24 mpg easily on cruise, unless my ambition forced me to the fast lane, and then the lowest then was 22. I would not even look at the mileage until around 2k miles as it slowly improves. I would recommend the V6 over the 318 and I have had them both. Good luck with the break in.

#5 ·
Cold Case
I have another question, will this engine run well on E85 Gasoline. There is a station close to my house that just started selling it. I have never used it except for once years ago in our RV E-450 with a V-10. Only reason I bought in Arizona was it was the only fuel they had at the station. If it gets mixed with what is still in the tank will it effect anything?

#6 ·
#8 ·
The 17 owners manual says not to use anything more than E15 or it can void your warranty. So standard 87 Octane with 10% ethanol (E10) and E15 are OK and valid choices. E85 is not.

This is the 3.6L Pentastar. The Hemi is looking for 89 Octane.

#10 ·
I talked to the service writer that I use for my 2016 Ram Laramie 2500 w/IL6 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. He said that even though the 2016 Owners manual does say the 3.6L V-6 Pentastar. He told me that he had several customers that said when the switched to the E-85 Flex Fuel that their mileage seemed to drop. He recommended using Regular Unleaded fuel. Also that the motor would burn half again as much fuel running on E-85 fuel.So I guess I will wait and see. Being as I have been hospitalized and my DW "SWMbO" has been chauffeuring me around, and I have not driven the JGC, When my doctor saysI can drive again, maybe I will take "SWMbO" out to dinner and get some miles on the JGC and when it needs fuel I will fill the tank with E85 Flex Fuel and see for myself .

I wonder if my Ram 2500 Laramie CC/LB 6.7L CTD would run on it? (maybe I better go back to the Hospital and have my head examined for oxygen saturation levels) :facepalm:

#16 ·
Is that Highway or City Driving? The mileage in our 92 Ram B150 Van with a 318 cu.in. 5.2L V-8 she got 15 to 16 mpg. Was all city driving, very little Freeway driving.

#14 ·
Yours is a true flex fuel vehicle and a 2015. Mine is a 2017 and not. The OP has a 2016. So the 2015 is one way, the 2017 is another. The OP will have to look at his manual to see if the 2016 will take E85.

When in doubt, I'm going with either a visual sticker and badging or the owners manual. My TH doesn't have a sticker or badging, therefore I'm following the owners manual and I would suggest the OP do too. It's available online from the Mopar owners connect site.

#15 ·
The manual for my 2016 JGC says it will run on E-85 Flex Fuel I need to look at the inside of the fuel door to see if it has the sticker. The reason I need to look at the fuel door is I have never fueled our Jeep, my wife has but I have not. I have only driven the Jeep three times.

#24 ·
Not to keep beating a dead horse but I chatted with Mopar thru the owners connect chat. This is what they said;

Robert T: Hi Janice
Janice: Hello Robert, how can we assist you tonight.
Robert T: I was looking at the owners manual and also at several dealers and can't get a definitive answer of the fuel types that I can use on my 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.6L Pentastar
Robert T: The manual says 87 octane and appears to be up to E15 but the dealer says it can use E85
Robert T: The manual has a caution against E85 but the position in the manual makes it confusing
Robert T: So I figured I would go right to Chrysler to get an answer
Robert T: So Can I use E85 in it even though it's not badged for Flex Fuel?
Janice: I understand your frustration, the only time you could use E85 is if there is no other fuel available and then you should only use enough to get you to a place that has 87 Octane.
Robert T: OK, so in an emergency, I can use E85 if it's the only fuel available
Janice: We do not recommend E85 for this vehicle, only in emergency situations as this could cause an issue with the warranty.
Robert T: OK, thats what I needed to know
Robert T: Thank you

So, do what you want to but I'm going with the manufacturer.

#26 ·
It won't be the first time a FCA rep answers a different question than was asked.

#27 ·
I don't think all 3.6L V6s are equipped for E-85. I believe there are two different model codes (ordering codes). E-85 equiped vehicles can be identified by a unique fuel filler door label that states Ethanol (E-85) or Unleaded Gasoline Only. Only vehicles with the E-85 fuel filler door label can operate on E-85.

Using E-85 requires specially formulated engine oils and E-85 is not suitable for less than 0 degree F. You may use E-85 in an emergency, but just enough to get you to regular fuel station.

Early models required the following to fix a Non-FFV vehicle inadvertently fueled once with E-85:
• change the engine oil and oil filter
• disconnect and reconnect the battery
• drain the fuel tank
More extensive repairs will be required for prolonged exposure to E-85 fuel.

Later models just say the manufacture is not responsible for any damage.

I don't know if you can get a flex fuel engine in a 2016 or 2017. I think the ESS engines are not compatible. The 2011-2015 owners manuals have a section on the 3.6 Flex Fuel engine where the section was dropped from 2016 and 2017 manuals. Leads me to believe that one shouldn't use E85 in any 2016or 2017... but then if the fuel door has the sticker.... the fuel door sticker seems to be the defining criteria.

Reactions: cranbiz
#29 ·
Did you look at the fuel door, or window sticker? It wouldn't be the first time some clerk mis-typed data into a dealer's page :).

They seem to have been carrying/supporting/building flex and non-flex 3.6s since 2011, so that may not be something new.

#31 ·
It should mention flex on the window sticker. Non flex would have nothing, as non flex is not a feature.

The EPA does not list the 2016-2017 WK2 V6 as a FFV (flexible fuel vehicle). It does list the 2011-2015. It does list the V6 in other 2017-2017 FCA vehicles as FFV, such as the Chrysler 200 and 300.

#32 ·
It would mention flex on the window sticker. Non flex would have nothing, as non flex is not a feature.

The EPA does not list the 2016-2017 WK2 V6 as a FFV (flexible fuel vehicle). It does list the 2011-2015. It does list the V6 in other 2017-2017 FCA vehicles as FFV, such as the Chrysler 200 and 300.
On the window sticker of my 2016 JGC, it doesn't show flex fuel compatible but on the build sheet for my JGC it does show Flex Fuel Compatible engine.

#37 ·
So I think we can conclude that they install 3.6 V6 engines that can run E85 and other V6s that are not designed for it. The detail seems to vary from year to year. The best way to determine if you can use E85 seems to be to look for a sticker on the fuel door but it should also list it on the build sheet. If Flex, FFV, or E85 is not mentioned, don't put E85 in it.

Only some V6 gas WK2s are compatible with E85, don't put it in any of the other engines.

Not sure what the differences in engines are, except for PCM calibration/software. You put E85 in a vehicle not designed for it and it should eventually throw a check engine code as it would be running way too lean.

Over the years there seems to be less mention of E85 and FFV. For 2016-17 its seems to have disappeared entirely.

I wonder if there is some issue with ESS and E85, or something else in the recent 3.6 upgrade. I think the WK2 V6 has a bit more power rating than other platforms.

FCA does seem to mention often that all their current engines are E15 compatible.

#41 ·
So I received a bit of clarification from a couple sources.

Put E85 only in a WK2 that has the E85 sticker on the fuel door. If you have a build sheet that indicates a FFV engine (E85 compatible) but you don't have a sticker on your fuel door, contact member jeepcares with your VIN and they will determine what is correct for your WK2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.