Need Opinions on 2012 Overland Summit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Opinions on 2012 Overland Summit

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
jschnelk
2012 WK 

Need Opinions on 2012 Overland Summit

All,

I am going to look at a 2012 Overland Summit tomorrow at a dealership here in Michigan. It is Mineral Gray Metallic with the saddle interior. It has every available option (Hemi, 20 inch wheels, etc) with the exception of the rear entertainment system (which is fine). It has 22,000 miles on it.

Right now dealer has not officially put it up for sale as they just took it in on trade. They said they plan to ask $38,500.

I was not looking for a Summit, but this seems like it would be a pretty good buy if I could get it for around $35,000. It would still have the balance of the factory warranty and my understanding is the Summits are somewhat hard to find, so potential long term value might be higher. I'm not particular fond of the interior based on the photos I have seen, but that could just be that I am used to the black leather in my WJ.

Any input (good price, general Summit impressions, thoughts on interior) would be greatly appreciated before I go to look at it.

Thanks!

jschnelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
txwest
2012 WK 

Hello!

I have an overland, non-summit, with the saddle interior. I was never a leather person, but I liked the way these seats felt, so I ordered my '12 with them. Best decision I could have made. The seats are wonderful, they hold up well under everyday use, I have had my WK2 since Nov '11. I am very impressed with this Jeep and miss driving it each time it gets left at home while I am on a business trip.

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

I absolutely love mine...

Now I will say that $38.5K is reflecting a pretty good return on the money...for the dealer. That's within about $5K of what mine cost new after incentives, etc., and before tax. Do negotiate...
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Since they took it in on a trade, I'd ask to contact the former owner to get a history on the vehicle. Always nice if you can do that when buying used. If that happens, have him/her tell you their experience when owning it, from maintenance to any problems they may have had. And you can always ask what the dealer gave them for it, which obviously would be nice to know.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

That sounds like a good price right now.

I think you will start seeing more of them with better prices soon.

People are jumping to 2014s.

This might bring better prices and more selection.

If you like though...Get it.!
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
jschnelk
2012 WK 

Jim in Pa, did you get that pricing on a 2014? I'm seeing pricing on Limiteds at around $40K. I haven't priced 2014 Overlands or Overland summits, but I'm guessing they are going to come in closer to $45K or $47K. Stock of 2013's has really dwindled here in Michigan. Not many of them left.

The carfax checks out and it was a local buy, so not too worried about service history, especially with the 14,000 miles left on the warranty (or about 2 yrs).

A 2011 Overland with similar mileage sold locally within the last month for $36,000, which is why I was thinking this price wasn't too bad on a summit, especially if I can get them down to the $36,000 range or lower. No idea what they gave on Trade and I doubt they will disclose that as part of the negotiation. I sure wouldn't!

Anyone have any additional thoughts?
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
dcbullets

I just paid $42,200 for a brand new 2013 Overland Summit. Fully loaded minus the rear entertainment system. That was about a month ago. 22K miles seems like a lot in one year.
dcbullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschnelk View Post
Jim in Pa, did you get that pricing on a 2014? I'm seeing pricing on Limiteds at around $40K. I haven't priced 2014 Overlands or Overland summits, but I'm guessing they are going to come in closer to $45K or $47K. Stock of 2013's has really dwindled here in Michigan. Not many of them left.

The carfax checks out and it was a local buy, so not too worried about service history, especially with the 14,000 miles left on the warranty (or about 2 yrs).

A 2011 Overland with similar mileage sold locally within the last month for $36,000, which is why I was thinking this price wasn't too bad on a summit, especially if I can get them down to the $36,000 range or lower. No idea what they gave on Trade and I doubt they will disclose that as part of the negotiation. I sure wouldn't!

Anyone have any additional thoughts?
Of course the dealer won't disclose that. But the former owner likely would & one reason I'd try contacting him if buying used.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
jschnelk
2012 WK 

Just got back from the dealer. They dropped their price to 37,700. I would not go higher than 36,500. We'll see what happens. I'm surprised at how little dealerships will move on used-car pricing. They claim that the Internet price is an accurate price, and maybe that is true. It's possible it's been so long since I negotiated with the dealership for the purchase of a car That's the game has changed considerably. I'm still surprised they let me walk over $1100, but they are probably just as equally surprised that I walked over $1100.

Am I crazy?
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Negotiation is a dance...sometimes your partner stays on the floor with you and sometimes they run off with someone else. Honestly, it sounds like both the price and your offer are in the ball-park. Offer them $37K and see if you can make the deal. That's probably a good deal if the vehicle is as represented. New, it was probably delivered at between $45K and $47K, depending on multiple factors, with the lower amount at about invoice, give or take.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Check truecar.com for suggested pricing.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
jschnelk
2012 WK 

Thanks for everyone's input! After not being able to make a deal on the Summit, I ended up buying Black 2012 Limited that had just come in on trade at a Buick dealer lot closer to home. It has the Hemi, 20 inch wheels, Tow Package IV, Luxury Group II, Chrome Package, including fog light inserts and running boards, and the connectivity package. It was a local trade with only 6,500 miles. I paid $35,500, which I think was decent pricing based on what I have seen locally. The prior owner was an older gentleman who said he did not like the Hemi (I talked to him). He paid almost $42,000 for the Jeep a year ago.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
jchochla

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input! After not being able to make a deal on the Summit, I ended up buying Black 2012 Limited that had just come in on trade at a Buick dealer lot closer to home. It has the Hemi, 20 inch wheels, Tow Package IV, Luxury Group II, Chrome Package, including fog light inserts and running boards, and the connectivity package. It was a local trade with only 6,500 miles. I paid $35,500, which I think was decent pricing based on what I have seen locally. The prior owner was an older gentleman who said he did not like the Hemi (I talked to him). He paid almost $42,000 for the Jeep a year ago.
Congrats! See you on the road sometime!
jchochla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
mpuzach
2012 WK 

Quote:
Adaptive cruise?
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
jschnelk
2012 WK 

No adaptive cruise. It would have been nice, but nothing I can't live without.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.