Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need advice on replacing door mirror

869 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  alm70 
#1 ·
Hello,
Sorry if this has been covered before as I'm new to this site and definitely new to Jeep. I did a search first.

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and I need to replace the passenger side mirror. The only part that is cracked is the lower black trim part.

I want an original replacement part so was planning on going to the dealer or the mopar site. Probably the dealer because at the site there are many options for that part and I will probably order the wrong one.

So my questions are...
I'm I correct that the mirror assembly appears to be one big piece?

Is the dealer the best place to get this part?

Is the install relatively easy? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I've replaced window guides and other parts before in doors. (not Jeeps)

I was just looking for some advice before I just rushed down to the dealer and asked them to replace it and hand over my money. There is something about researching and fixing yourself that is very satisfying for me.

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Any of the sites will ask for your VIN and make sure you get the right part. The mirror has two parts, the housing and mirror glass. The mirror glass snaps into the housing. Sometimes places like rockauto or ebay will have third party the mirror housings at much more of a discount. Ripping mirrors off is a fairly common thing. Someone that has done this should jump in soon.

Otherwise, replacing the mirror is pretty easy. There is a trim removal PDF referenced here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/modification-write-ups-1325215/#post15194480

1.Partially remove the door trim panel as necessary to gain access to the mirror. There is a screw behind the door handle, but otherwise you should be able to pull the door panel away far enough (attached via clips) to reach the three nuts.

2.Disconnect the wire harness connectors (2) from the mirror.

3.Remove the three nuts (1) that secure the mirror to the door and carefully remove the mirror.

Attachments

#3 ·
Can you just pry the glass part out of the housing? Anyone try it before? I have a problem with the AutoDim feature on one mirror and would like to investigate but was too scared to just pry at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Can you just pry the glass part out of the housing? Anyone try it before? I have a problem with the AutoDim feature on one mirror and would like to investigate but was too scared to just pry at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can, but you have to pry to the point where you think you are going to snap the mirror glass. There is a ball on the back of the mirror glass that snaps into a socket in the mirror housing, and its a beach to disengage. When you pry it, first adjust the mirror so it is pointing all the way in to the vehicle, and then pry from the outside edge.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply ColdCase. That pdf in the link you supplied sure is a keeper. I figured the information is here, but kind of buried if your new like me.

From your description and images I feel pretty confident I can do the replacement. Since the glass is fine, but it is the housing that is broken, sounds like I will be popping the glass out of the old one and putting it in the new casing. I'll start shopping for the part.

I'll find out when I order the part...but is this something that comes black and I will have to have painted?

Thanks again...

#6 ·
I ordered my mirror the other day from the dealer. It was $239. All things considered I though it was going to be more. (I come from 15+ years of buying Audi parts)
The parts guy seemed to think the mirror housing came with the glass. I guess I don't know why it wouldn't, but if so that means I don't have to go through the popping the mirror
out of the old housing that is mentioned above.

Looks like I know what my week-end project will be. The stall seems pretty straight forward, but I may be back with questions! Thanks.

#7 ·
You will need a 10mm deep socket, and something to pry the door trim panel back to access the nuts. I believe there are 3, but your new part will show you how many and where they are.

#8 ·
I got my new mirror installed this week-end. I went pretty slow and it took about an hour.

Thanks for everyone's input above. Sometimes I just need a boost of confidence to get the tools out!

I also found this link in case anyone else comes across this thread
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/index.html

The only part that slowed me down was popping the rivets out of the back of the panel. I had to pry a lot hard
than I expected I would have to and the first couple that popped out sure make a heck of a loud noise. I thought
for sure I broke something. Thanks again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.