NAV issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
AlDente67
2014 WK 

NAV issue

SO I have one issue with the NAV. The routing always selects the best route according to how the crow flies, but that leaves a trail of zigzagging through the side streets to get from point A to B, where the highway would be ultimately quicker.

I can't find a setting that will select the 'fastest route'. Say the highway is L-shaped. The NAV will attempt to guide you through surface roads instead of sticking to the L-shape highway crossing, if that make sense.

Has anyone found a setting that will do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 01:06 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There should be a routing preference screen where you can select the shortest route or fastest route, dunno off hand where that is. But when entering an address there is routing option button.

"Before Route Guidance

Before confirming the route with the “Yes” button on the touchscreen, it is possible to select options different from the default route settings.
• Options – Press the “Options” button on the touch- screen to display a list of options to alter your route. To make a selection press and release the desired setting until a check-mark appears."

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Miami_Son
2015 WK 

Set it to fastest route?

post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
AlDente67
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There should be a routing preference screen where you can select the shortest route or fastest route.
The options i see are "avoid unpaved roads, ferries, toll roads, etc" not this option.

Jeep sent me an offer to upgrade the NAV for $150 last year and I balked. This was a new download in summer of 2014, so I don't see why I should pay that much for some upgrade, but that is another matter.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Miami_Son
2015 WK 

If you bought a nav update last year then it was probably already a couple years old. My new JGC that was built in September 2015 and purchased in November 2015 has nav maps from 2013. That's ridiculous.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 02:37 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
The options i see are "avoid unpaved roads, ferries, toll roads, etc" not this option.

Jeep sent me an offer to upgrade the NAV for $150 last year and I balked. This was a new download in summer of 2014, so I don't see why I should pay that much for some upgrade, but that is another matter.
It seems that this feature has confounded many over the years. Unlike stand alone Garmins, the Jeep Nav does not give you a settings menu for routing preferences in an easy to find spot.

So the next time you enter a destination address and before confirming the route with a "Yes", press the options button and you should be able to select fastest route. That preference will stick. If you want to change it you will have to navigate back to this settings menu again
:
:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 4.46.41 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 4.48.54 PM.jpg  

post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 06:48 PM
FLHXSE3
2014 WK 

I didn't see the option to go a couple kms out of the way and sneak up from the other side
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Blackshirts
2012 WK 

not to hijack but my big problem with the Jeep nav is the fact that as you cross the intersection it appears on the screen. Many times Im looking for the street name as I pull up to an intersection and it doesn't appear on the screen until I'm literally in the middle of it so I miss the turn.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 07:16 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHXSE3 View Post
I didn't see the option to go a couple kms out of the way and sneak up from the other side
Well they were watching for you on this side, so the Nav snuck you around. I alway drive home a different way, just to throw them off

post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 07:18 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
not to hijack but my big problem with the Jeep nav is the fact that as you cross the intersection it appears on the screen. Many times Im looking for the street name as I pull up to an intersection and it doesn't appear on the screen until I'm literally in the middle of it so I miss the turn.
Mine has a next turn banner on the top of the screen which includes the street name (e.g "Day Street" with an arrow), sometimes the street name shows up in the center turn by turn display. I forget how to turn that on and off....

post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why no option for only dirt roads?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.