My uConnect Access about to expire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My uConnect Access about to expire

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
silverfox9142

My uConnect Access about to expire

I'm really torn on whether to extend our uConnect Access coverage. It's about to expire in a few weeks.

It seems like everything these days is becoming a subscription and this is another $150 one for a year.

What are all of your thoughts as to it being beneficial and is it worth the 150 bucks a year? It seems like a lot for what you get.

TIA

- Chuck

silverfox9142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Dabitz

I let mine expired and don't miss it. Although I probably will when it gets cold out and can't remote start from my phone.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

It's a waste of money for what it actually offers.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Way overpriced - I used to think OnStar was expensive for what it offered, but it's a bargain compared to Uconnect. I didn't even initialize my free trial when I bought the Jeep because I knew I wouldn't be keeping it.
2014RedHemiGC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
AuburnJGCS
2015 WK 

So the app and remote start in particular don't work after the subscription expires? I wasn't aware of that. The Onstar app and all its functions continue to work for at least 5 years even with no active subscription.
AuburnJGCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

When I got my jeep it work fine for about a week, 2 months ago. Never missed it!

2015 WK II v8 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnJGCS View Post
So the app and remote start in particular don't work after the subscription expires? I wasn't aware of that. The Onstar app and all its functions continue to work for at least 5 years even with no active subscription.
Some OnStar functions stop after the subscription expires. They include:
OnStar remote app
Crash detection
Built-in phone
Onstar Advisor check engine diagnosis
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
perpster
2015 WK 

Is UConnect renewal negotiable, like SXM radio?
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
AuburnJGCS
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtonk
Some OnStar functions stop after the subscription expires. They include: OnStar remote app Crash detection Built-in phone Onstar Advisor check engine diagnosis
The remote app works for 5 years with or without a subscription. I just used it to remote start my car and I don't have an active Onstar subscription. Check it out here:

http://www.onstar.com/ca/en/services/remotelink.html
Unread 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
Is UConnect renewal negotiable, like SXM radio?
Haven't heard of anyone catching a break.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
ssgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnJGCS View Post
The remote app works for 5 years with or without a subscription. I just used it to remote start my car and I don't have an active Onstar subscription. Check it out here:

http://www.onstar.com/ca/en/services/remotelink.html
I smell BS. Onstar wouldn't let those services be available for free. They are money hungry bastards.

Are you certain that you haven't paid yearly in advance? I mean hell, if it works. Congratulations. You are one lucky SOB! Just pray they don't find out.

Now if uconnect can only do that...
ssgunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
AuburnJGCS
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgunner
I smell BS. Onstar wouldn't let those services be available for free. They are money hungry bastards. Are you certain that you haven't paid yearly in advance? I mean hell, if it works. Congratulations. You are one lucky SOB! Just pray they don't find out. Now if uconnect can only do that...
No, I haven't paid a subscription. Onstar with Directions and Connections comes standard on all Cadillacs for a year. It expired the end of June. The dealer made it a point to say the app would work for 5 years even if I didn't have an active subscription.
Unread 08-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
Rdrakea
2011 WK 

Yes, I can confirm OnStar gets the free remote start/unlock for 5 years. UConnect is totally not worth the $150. I bet their subscription rate is single digit %.
Rdrakea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #14
goodburbon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The only things I was interested in were the weather and the Fuel price/location search.

Now that I'm not travelling across the country for work anymore I don't even notice. I never seemed to have phone signal when I wanted to remote start, so I'd forgotten that was even a thing.

Having said that, whether or not I miss it or feel that it's worth the money to renew isn't really relevant to you and your situation, it just illustrates that one can live without it. What you need to do is figure out if you use the functionality it provides and if that functionality is worth $12.50/month to you.
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #15
AuburnJGCS
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrakea
Yes, I can confirm OnStar gets the free remote start/unlock for 5 years. UConnect is totally not worth the $150. I bet their subscription rate is single digit %.
Yup, just logged in and remote started it. UConnect should take note and offer the same service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.