My thoughts on Volant CAI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My thoughts on Volant CAI

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
doz
2012 WK 

My thoughts on Volant CAI and Dynomax Exhaust system.

So I got my Volant CAI installed. Very nice piece I might add. Constructed well and easy to install.

As far as more power goes (something everyone wonders about), I do not "feel" any additional power. What I did notice was much more responsiveness on the bottom end. Taking off with low-mid throttle is MUCH improved. I do have a tune on the car so that does help as well, but coupling the tune with the CAI really helps get going just around town.

As far as the sound, its mean. You will know when you get into the throttle and so will the car next to you. It does serve as a reminder to keep your foot out of it if you want gas mileage!

Overall, I feel its worth it as the low-end response is SO much better. Im pretty amazed that it made any difference at all. As far as a faster 1/4 mile time? Probably not much if at all but driving at low speed is much improved.

doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz
So I got my Volant CAI installed. Very nice piece I might add. Constructed well and easy to install. As far as more power goes (something everyone wonders about), I do not "feel" any additional power. What I did notice was much more responsiveness on the bottom end. Taking off with low-mid throttle is MUCH improved. I do have a tune on the car so that does help as well, but coupling the tune with the CAI really helps get going just around town. As far as the sound, its mean. You will know when you get into the throttle and so will the car next to you. It does serve as a reminder to keep your foot out of it if you want gas mileage! Overall, I feel its worth it as the low-end response is SO much better. Im pretty amazed that it made any difference at all. As far as a faster 1/4 mile time? Probably not much if at all but driving at low speed is much improved.
Good to hear, I am planning on one. Any pics/vid?
Jpiwonski is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
doz
2012 WK 

No pics vid sorry! Will be installing a Dynomax exhaust system tomorrow.
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
doz
2012 WK 

So I went to install the Dynomax exhaust system. Opened up the box and discovered a pile of ****. The welds on this thing were ATROCIOUS! It came all scratched up and not minor scratches. Major gashes out of the mufflers. The piping was dirty as well, like they used pipe that sat around for 10 years. The stainless tips were all scratched up (not light scratches either). Needless to say I did not install it and its being shipped back. I guess that is one reason why its so cheap compared to other systems but wow. I did NOT expect something like this. Ive seen full systems that cost $300 be of better quality.
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiwonski View Post
Good to hear, I am planning on one. Any pics/vid?
The mod thread has a couple Volant installs I think, there have been quite a few posts. You should be able to search on Volant and find several picts and discussion.

Some early Volants had clearance issues with brake lines on some vehicles and sometimes supplied the wrong bolt/bracket.

If you have a V8 and care about drone, don't buy anything other than Corsa or Jeep's cat back system.
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
doz
2012 WK 

Well, after having a rage fit at the quality (I know, cheap system but come on), I polished the tips up and began the install. I figured since its here, I might as well throw it up and see what it sounds like before I send it back.

Stock exhaust is a bit of a pain by yourself to remove as its all 1 piece. Even still, I got it off and got the dynomax install. Needless to say, fit and finish is a bit to be desired. The initial fit wasnt happening. The X-Pipe was hitting a CV joint and the right exit was hitting the rear valance. I decided ti disconnect and flip the X-Pipes. Did that and it nearly fit. I did have to drill a new hole in the factory exhaust hanger as where it wanted to sit was making the right side still hit the rear valance. Frustration is at its peak right now and Im ready to dish out another $700 for a new system. I finally got it all dialed in and tightened up. Drilling a new hole in the rubber exhaust hanger fixed the fitment issue and the pipes are straight now. The pipes leading back however are not tucked as high as Id like them to be, but not a huge deal as I dont off-road in this Jeep.

Now, I already issued a RMA request to return the exhaust so Im still deciding on it. You get what you pay for here. Its over $600 less than the Flowmaster system and $800 less than the Corsa. Quality DID suffer for this cost hit no doubt. It is stainless steel so I have no problems there, but I did have to put some time into removing pointless stickers and polishing the tips up (still have a slight nick in one of them but not noticeable). As far as the power goes, you can feel a difference top end. Its not like the CAI where you feel nothing when hard into the throttle. It also makes sense due to the stock exhaust being flat-sided in areas and having MASSIVE resonator and mufflers. As far as drone (which everyone seems to be worried about), there really isnt any. I keep hearing about horrible drone and I just dont get it. Maybe its because I have MDS disable, I dont know. The only drone I have is for about 300 RPMS while light throttle doing 55-58 MPH and for me, Im never driving in that range. The system is NOT loud at all in comparison to alot of exhaust systems. It is throaty at idle and light throttle under load, but not unbearable at all. To put it in perspective, my Volant CAI is louder at full throttle than the exhaust exhaust is at is loudest point. It has a nice deep mellow tone that lets you know you have a V8 and it sounds good surprisingly.

After the pain in the *** install and only mediocre quality welds and actual production product, I might end up keeping the system. It is stainless steel afterall so a few scratches and nicks wont hurt it but it is pretty frustrating to open a box and see that kind of quality from a new product. The system sounds pretty good and drone is next to nothing. Not over-powering but still a good quality tone. My magnaflow 14" muffler on my 5.7L Ram was twice as loud as this for anyone who came from the RAM side w/ a Mufflex system. Id say if anyone is looking to save some bucks, its not a bad way to go if you are not looking for perfection. And I really dont understand how everyone says Corsa is the only system without drone. They sure did a good job of marketing that one. This dynomax system is pretty quiet and not really drone prone compared to a lot of systems I have heard on other vehicle platforms.

BTW CC, if you wouldnt mind editing my thread title to have "and Dynomax Catback" to the thread title! That way we can keep it all in one thread rather than make multiples.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

As you say you don't use MDS, and I'm guessing you don't long distance cruise much.

It's not a marketing, there are plenty of user reports.

You should post some Picts and a video or sound recording as you drive around.

Give it a week for the ECU to adapt and let us know how it's going.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I'm pretty sure you can edit the thread title by going to the advanced edit mode. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.