My new '11 Overland died on the interstate! Out of gas with NO warning. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My new '11 Overland died on the interstate! Out of gas with NO warning.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Consistent with most other cars I've driven, the amber low fuel warning comes on first, then (several miles later) the low fuel EVIC text tells you that there is so little fuel in the tank it doesn't want to hazard a guess on how many more miles you have till you run out completely.

My experience is that the amber low fuel warning light comes on with about 3 gallon in the tank, the too low to calculate miles remaining text is displayed at maybe 1.5 gallon. I know its abusing the fuel pump, but I wanted to get an idea of just how much warning there really was. I pumped almost 24 gallons gallons into the 24.6 gallon tank (the text had been displayed for about 15 miles) and the fuel gauge pointer was about 1/8 below the empty line...

ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
overland11
2011 WK 

So, I took the Jeep into the dealer at lunch. They called a few hours later and said they have to replace the fuel pump. They emptied the tank and the needle still read a 1/4 of a tank. Said they should have it ready by noon tomorrow.

Just kinda leaves a bad taste you know. I traded in an '06 Acura TSX for the Jeep, against everyone's warnings about the reliability reputation..I just feel like I'm hearing a lot of I told you so's lol. Hopefully not a sign of things to come, because I sure do love driving it.
overland11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #18
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland11 View Post
So, I took the Jeep into the dealer at lunch. They called a few hours later and said they have to replace the fuel pump. They emptied the tank and the needle still read a 1/4 of a tank. Said they should have it ready by noon tomorrow.

Just kinda leaves a bad taste you know. I traded in an '06 Acura TSX for the Jeep, against everyone's warnings about the reliability reputation..I just feel like I'm hearing a lot of I told you so's lol. Hopefully not a sign of things to come, because I sure do love driving it.
That would explain why it died. I ran mine down to less than 30 miles to empty this morning with no issues (nearest gas station on my commute is 20 miles from my house).
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
txwest
2012 WK 

Mine is currently sitting on DTE:35. No issues thus far. :-D

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland11 View Post
Believe it or not, there are Acuras out there with defects too. Nobody makes a perfect car.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.