My new '11 Overland died on the interstate! Out of gas with NO warning. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My new '11 Overland died on the interstate! Out of gas with NO warning.

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
overland11
2011 WK 

My new '11 Overland died on the interstate! Out of gas with NO warning.

We haven't had our GC for more than a month. Left the house traveling to see family today on a half tank. Should have been plenty. On the interstate, cruise set, going 70. Not 10 minutes away from our destination, my husband proclaimed we were slowing down. He tried to press the gas thinking the cruise had disabled, but the jeep kept slowing. I said it must have died so we coasted over to the shoulder and stopped the engine completely.

Tried start again, nothing. The fuel light had never come on, the dash said we had 100 miles left to go on the tank. Luckily my father lived close by so he was able to bring us a gallon or two to make it to the next gas station. When we got there we filled up only around 19 gallons. So there was still over 5 gallons in the tank when we 'ran out'! Calling the dealer on Monday, but I can't find anyone reporting this has happened to them. Any ideas what it might be?

overland11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

I'm new here as well, but I noticed the JGC has two fuel tank skid guards on either side. I'd bet that either side was still full therefore you didn't get a low fuel signal but one side wasn't fueling the car. Just my idea from looking at the car layout from underneath
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
ecupip

The gas tank is split but by no means should it not flow from side to side. What was the physical gauge reading?
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
overland11
2011 WK 

The gauge was reading about an 8th of a tank. Not quite to the E, which sounds accurate given how much gas we estimate was still in the tank and having '100 miles to go'.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds like a bad fuel level sending unit, or bad connection.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
peckmv

You should never go much below 1/4 of a tank because the fuel cools the fuel pump. In this case I agree with Coldcase. The sending unit is suspect.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland11 View Post
....he was able to bring us a gallon or two to make it to the next gas station. When we got there we filled up only around 19 gallons. So there was still over 5 gallons in the tank when we 'ran out'! ...
Oh, if you put about 19 gal in plus about one or two gallons... that could be as much as 22 gallons. These are 24.6 gallon rated tanks, I think, but I've had a hard time putting more than 23 gallon in... I'm not sure how these fuel pumps and inlet are mounted in the tank, but if it has an intake leak (a leak above the empty level of the tank) the pump would be drawing are instead of fuel at that level and you could also get this symptom.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
overland11
2011 WK 

Yeah I realize we shouldn't have let it get that low, but still, the low gas warning should have at least come on..so something is up. I'll let you all know what the problem is once I get it fixed.
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Jeep_addicted
2011 WK 

I don't like the low fuel warning that these cars give it is easy to overlook. My last car used to place a huge amber Icon in the center of the MFD screen and the left you with about 3 gallons when the light came on.

With these Jeeps you get low fuel message in the EVIC and a barely audible tone the message is not even in a High Visiblitly color. If you are looking at the "fuel economy" screen in the EVIC the DTE message changes from miles to "LOW FUEL" this is hard to catch if you are unfamiliar with the car or haven't learn to read the fuel gauge.

I have my car just over 3 weeks and because of where I live my care give AVG mile of 9.3 MPG so a full tank of 93 only give me 258 Miles of range according to the EVIC and I am not lead footed driver but I am nearing the 900 mile mark on the clock so it may improve when the car get really broken in.
Jeep_addicted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted View Post
I don't like the low fuel warning that these cars give it is easy to overlook. My last car used to place a huge amber Icon in the center of the MFD screen and the left you with about 3 gallons when the light came on.

With these Jeeps you get low fuel message in the EVIC and a barely audible tone the message is not even in a High Visiblitly color. If you are looking at the "fuel economy" screen in the EVIC the DTE message changes from miles to "LOW FUEL" this is hard to catch if you are unfamiliar with the car or haven't learn to read the fuel gauge.

I have my car just over 3 weeks and because of where I live my care give AVG mile of 9.3 MPG so a full tank of 93 only give me 258 Miles of range according to the EVIC and I am not lead footed driver but I am nearing the 900 mile mark on the clock so it may improve when the car get really broken in.
I don't see how you could miss the giant amber fuel pump light on these. The one time mine came on the first thing I thought was how big it was. If someone doesn't notice that they are not at all properly paying attention to their driving.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland11 View Post
We haven't had our GC for more than a month. Left the house traveling to see family today on a half tank. Should have been plenty. On the interstate, cruise set, going 70. Not 10 minutes away from our destination, my husband proclaimed we were slowing down. He tried to press the gas thinking the cruise had disabled, but the jeep kept slowing. I said it must have died so we coasted over to the shoulder and stopped the engine completely.

Tried start again, nothing. The fuel light had never come on, the dash said we had 100 miles left to go on the tank. Luckily my father lived close by so he was able to bring us a gallon or two to make it to the next gas station. When we got there we filled up only around 19 gallons. So there was still over 5 gallons in the tank when we 'ran out'! Calling the dealer on Monday, but I can't find anyone reporting this has happened to them. Any ideas what it might be?
That is definitely not normal mine has been run down to 30 miles to empty or roughly 22 gallons to fill it with no issues. If you had 4 gallons or so in the tank it should have been fine.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Jeep_addicted
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I don't see how you could miss the giant amber fuel pump light on these. The one time mine came on the first thing I thought was how big it was. If someone doesn't notice that they are not at all properly paying attention to their driving.
I have yet to see this huge amber icon unless they got rid of it for 2012 because the low fuel message is all you have seen and I think my car was pretty empty because it took almost 22 gallons to fill
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Jeep_addicted
2011 WK 

Quote:
I have yet to see this huge amber icon unless JEEP got rid of it for 2012 because the low fuel message is all I have seen and I think my car was pretty empty because it took almost 22 gallons to fill. And since this car is still new to me I would not go past the mark before empty which I think it pretty low already.
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Terminator2

Quote:
It comes on at 30 miles to empty. I wish it would come on a little sooner.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
airec13
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted View Post
I have yet to see this huge amber icon unless they got rid of it for 2012 because the low fuel message is all you have seen and I think my car was pretty empty because it took almost 22 gallons to fill
looks like this...
jeep_fuel_light.jpg  
airec13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.