My lifted 2012 GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My lifted 2012 GC

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Big50
2012 WK 

My lifted 2012 GC

I've been waiting to post pictures until I got the lift, wheels, and tires on. After seeing the wrangler duratracs on some of the other members rides I knew it was the perfect tire. Went with the procomp 7036 wheels and the RR 2.5" spacer lift. Pepboys was actually willing to install the lift for me as it didn't involve any modifying of parts. Just charged me for the labor of changing the stock struts as that's pretty much all it is except for bolting on the spacers.

Came out just the way I wanted. Followed this concept http://www.activityvehicle.com/2011/...rand-cherokee/

Ran into some rubbing that I wasn't expecting based on what I researched here but was able to take care of it taking a grinder to the inner fender.
I know the rubbing was do to my 18x9 0 offset wheels.

Painted the grille and rear piece black and pulled off all the badges and the side trim for more of a clean look.

Unread 02-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
kkreit01

Very nicely done. Thanks for the pics.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
frog_a_lot

Nice wheel choice, I am a fan.
Looking at what to put on mine, was going to use KMCs but now im thinking procomps may need a look into
frog_a_lot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
Very nicely done. Thanks for the pics.
Thanks! and no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog_a_lot View Post
Nice wheel choice, I am a fan.
Looking at what to put on mine, was going to use KMCs but now im thinking procomps may need a look into
Thank you kind sir. Ya, spent a lot of time trying to find the right wheel. Procomp just came out with these. I'm wanted to try and find a wheel where the lug nuts were visible and not covered by a cap.
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
RecklessXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
ThatSickRip

Looks SICK How did you paint the grill and rear piece? Use a heat guun to take off the side molding? Also, any plans to paint the "chrome" parts on the roof rack black to match the rest? Nice work!
ThatSickRip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
JPi1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Where did you get the lift? Cost? Custom made?
JPi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Awesome!!!!!!! Please do tell how you painted the grille and rear piece. What size tires? I didnt have any issues with my wheels and tires and I had 0 offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Where did you get the lift? Cost? Custom made?
Rocky Road Outfitters. http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-lift-kit.html

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
JPi1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Damn, I have the air suspension. It won't work!
JPi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSickRip View Post
Looks SICK How did you paint the grill and rear piece? Use a heat guun to take off the side molding? Also, any plans to paint the "chrome" parts on the roof rack black to match the rest? Nice work!
They both actually pop off. The grille you need to start with a flat head screw driver and work it in the middle of the grille where the chrome part meets the plastic part. Then just work your way right to left and it will come off. For the rear I just carefully worked my finger tips in the crease on the corner until it popped loose and worked my way down the piece until it was off.

As far as paint I used about 2 cans of brilliant black spray paint. Took my time with light coats and letting it dry for 20-30 minutes in between coats. And finished it off with about 3 coats of clear. Time consuming but easy. We'll see how it holds up but I wanted to give it a shot since the paint shop wanted 170 to do it. I figure there should be some options for grilles out soon anyway.

As for the side pieces I just got them started with dental floss until there was enough room for my fingers then just worked my way down. A heat gun,hair dryer would probably help if you looking to save them for use later. They were kind of warped from my hard pulling by the time i was done. The sticky stuff peels off real easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Awesome!!!!!!! Please do tell how you painted the grille and rear piece. What size tires? I didnt have any issues with my wheels and tires and I had 0 offset.

Rocky Road Outfitters. http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-lift-kit.html
Paint explained above.

Ya, I think mine might be -6mm as there were 2 options for my wheels. I ordered the 0 but i'm thinking i got the -6. I couldn't find any indicators on the wheels anywhere to tell either way. Tires are a 275/65-18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Damn, I have the air suspension. It won't work!
Sorry buddy. From what I've seen though you should be able to fit these tires as long as you get the rite offset wheel.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. No sanding or adhesion promoter for the plastic? Also, you should remove the two lower front fascia pieces like I did. I think adds a more rugged look.

Unread 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Thanks for the info. No sanding or adhesion promoter for the plastic? Also, you should remove the two lower front fascia pieces like I did. I think adds a more rugged look.
I didn't do any sanding as I tried a product that was supposed to make it look like black chrome first. Looked great until I put it on the car. It ended up looking kind of green. I just painted over it with the brilliant black. I should have sanded it but was lazy. I'll pull those pieces off i didn't even know you could. Thanks for the tip!
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Big50:

That looks amazing and I've been eyeing those same wheels in the latest 4WP catalog. Good to know that PepBoys can do the install, as I'm about 20 miles From Vallejo.

I have a JK, but want to add a WK2 to the garage when I can unload my old car. Your setup gives me some motivation; very well done.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Big50:

That looks amazing and I've been eyeing those same wheels in the latest 4WP catalog. Good to know that PepBoys can do the install, as I'm about 20 miles From Vallejo.

I have a JK, but want to add a WK2 to the garage when I can unload my old car. Your setup gives me some motivation; very well done.
Thanks buddy! I wasn't sure about them when I saw the rivets but when I saw the jeep concept with rivets I knew they would be perfect, for my tastes at least

Ya, I joked and asked if this would be the last time they do one of these and they said no they would do it again. I think there is a pepboys in Concord. Just make sure when you explain it to them you tell them its essentially just pulling the struts and replacing them with the spacers attached. They won't do it if they think there is any modification needed.
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big50 View Post
I didn't do any sanding as I tried a product that was supposed to make it look like black chrome first. Looked great until I put it on the car. It ended up looking kind of green. I just painted over it with the brilliant black. I should have sanded it but was lazy. I'll pull those pieces off i didn't even know you could. Thanks for the tip!
Just a couple more for reference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.