My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #61
classyjeeper

Removed mufflers today and did straight pipe and new tips.

Sounds the same and not sure on performance.

Maybe better or harder driving?

classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #62
MuSh

Ill give somrome a a dollar if they find a good way to improve the sound of the ecodiesel. I have a turbo diesel that doesnt sound like a turbo nor a diesel, really. Driving me crazy .
MuSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #63
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSh View Post
Ill give somrome a a dollar if they find a good way to improve the sound of the ecodiesel. I have a turbo diesel that doesnt sound like a turbo nor a diesel, really. Driving me crazy .
Play this when you are driving.
LOUD Cummins turbo whistle ans SMOKE!!!!: http://youtube/nuWVvS12T0E

Now where is my dollar?
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #64
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Excellent thread, to the OP, thank you for your service. Your WK looks like it's in good hands!
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #65
E_Holst
2014 WK 

Hey Chris from Banks, do you guys have plans for PCV oil catch can for our Diesel Grand? This is sorely needed.

I was thinking of adapting an existing kit (either Hemi or Pentastar). However I rethought that, as I would think it is more complicated with forced induction and might need some sort if check valve because of positive pressure from the intake side?

Thanks- Eric
E_Holst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #66
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Holst View Post
Hey Chris from Banks, do you guys have plans for PCV oil catch can for our Diesel Grand? This is sorely needed.

I was thinking of adapting an existing kit (either Hemi or Pentastar). However I rethought that, as I would think it is more complicated with forced induction and might need some sort if check valve because of positive pressure from the intake side?

Thanks- Eric
Admitting ignorance on this subject, can you please explain the issue, why it's sorely needed? I'm not getting any leaks I can see, but maybe it's an internal thing? You make it sound like an important issue, just want to understand. Thanks!
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #67
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post

Admitting ignorance on this subject, can you please explain the issue, why it's sorely needed? I'm not getting any leaks I can see, but maybe it's an internal thing? You make it sound like an important issue, just want to understand. Thanks!
I've never heard people complain about it on diesels but with the hemi's putting the catch can in keeps the intake manifold a lot cleaner because its not dumping oil in it anymore. It also will make the engine run a little better because the oil will actually lower the octane of the fuel a little bit and cause detonation. That usually will only come into play though when you are running a tuner.
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #68
E_Holst
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988
I've never heard people complain about it on diesels but with the hemi's putting the catch can in keeps the intake manifold a lot cleaner because its not dumping oil in it anymore. It also will make the engine run a little better because the oil will actually lower the octane of the fuel a little bit and cause detonation. That usually will only come into play though when you are running a tuner.
Same issue applies with a diesel as described above on the Hemi. It is actually worse on a turbo diesel. There can be diesel particulates (soot) in the crankcase gases, and it dumps just ahead of the turbo, so all this gunk can coat the turbo and intercooler.

I'm no expert, but this is much discussed in the diesel pickup forums.

-Eric
E_Holst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #69
bigbadbru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSh View Post
Thanks for the info Chris. I'll buy the intake the day it's available. Just do me a favor and don't let them put any effort into making the intake quiet.

Any plans on working a full exhaust? Not just dpf back? I know that will require some tuning and deleting, but would be great to see something in the long term. Stupid emissions!
Mush we do sound tune the intake to some extent but not like the OEM. On the 3.6 in the wrangler they had added all this weight and other material to change the sound it was crazy. In that application our guys did use a Helmholtz Resonator to help with the sound but it still sounds way better then stock and in my opinion bad ***. If you get a chance look up Herman von Helmholtz (I had to when my super nerds told me about the resonator) this guy was crazy smart and so far ahead of his time it is unbelievable. Sorry for the digression sometimes I like to talk about some of the cool things I have learned here.

As for an exhaust without the emissions equipment we wonít be doing anything like that. California Air Resources Board is a neighbor of ours and we have always taken the approach of achieving the best performance gains with all the emissions equipment intact. Thatís just our thing and we lead the industry when it comes to clean diesel performance and promoting the acceptance of diesels in the US.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I have been traveling like crazy but I have some time and will respond to everyoneís questions in the next few days. I also just sent diverB a bunch of photos of his jeep getting digitized for the CAI.
bigbadbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #70
bigbadbru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Have been away from the forum for a few days, looks like there is steady progress and planning going on. The new y-pipe looks like a winner.

Sounds pretty cool how you go about designing the CAI.

I don't know about the feasibility of before and after dyno runs for every modification, sounds like a lot of dyno time, but I would also like to see numbers, particularly for any more serious mods, like turbo modifications, just to be sure there is some benefit.

Sounds like you have a great job Chris - I'm sure you see some amazing projects there.
Onebluemcm we will do dyno testing on the various modifications as we go along. As they become available I will gladly share with everyone.

On a side note we installed one of our Banks 630T engines in a 2003 Duramax Dully to use as a test mule. Obviously we have made some modifications including a larger turbo and it is currently making 300Hp and 500TRQ. IT is loaded to 10k pounds and I can still get the rear tires to light up in first and second gear!! The 3.0L VM is one bad *** little engine that I am proud to be involved with. I canít wait to get the 3.0L Ram in here especially after getting to spend time in the Grand.
photo.jpg

bigbadbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #71
diverb

My GC with the front end removed to allow mapping of the engine bay in preparation for CAI and who knows what else...???

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #72
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbru View Post

Onebluemcm we will do dyno testing on the various modifications as we go along. As they become available I will gladly share with everyone.

On a side note we installed one of our Banks 630T engines in a 2003 Duramax Dully to use as a test mule. Obviously we have made some modifications including a larger turbo and it is currently making 300Hp and 500TRQ. IT is loaded to 10k pounds and I can still get the rear tires to light up in first and second gear!! The 3.0L VM is one bad *** little engine that I am proud to be involved with. I can’t wait to get the 3.0L Ram in here especially after getting to spend time in the Grand.
Here is the key, what kind of mileage did it get?
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #73
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbru View Post

On a side note we installed one of our Banks 630T engines in a 2003 Duramax Dully to use as a test mule. Obviously we have made some modifications including a larger turbo and it is currently making 300Hp and 500TRQ. IT is loaded to 10k pounds and I can still get the rear tires to light up in first and second gear!! The 3.0L VM is one bad *** little engine that I am proud to be involved with. I canít wait to get the 3.0L Ram in here especially after getting to spend time in the Grand.
I can't wait until you guys work on the Ram EcoDiesel too. That's what I am planning on buying next. Are you guys working on the transmissions too? The 8HP70 can only handle 516 Foot Pounds of Torque.
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #74
diverb

Just wanted to publicly say thank you to Chris and the gang at BANKS POWER for the care box of coffee and BANKS shirt and hat they sent me in the mail. Cant wait to see what else has been done to the Jeep
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #75
ECOBIX

How soon before they come out with stuff for our ECO?
ECOBIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.